[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The high end potions and the difficulty curve

The high end potions and the difficulty curve

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The high end potions and the difficulty curve

Postby paplaukes on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:20 am

paplaukes

Postby paplaukes on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:20 am

paplaukes

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:36 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Bloggorus on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:19 am

Bloggorus

Postby paplaukes on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:48 am

What's the double edge you're talking about? Cost? Limited slots?

I get triple potion hit is more powerful than separate potions, it also costs more. I wouldn't spend 50g extra on them "just in case", like I don't spend 50g on amulet of yendor/translocation scroll. It's also a one-shot thing instead of a permanent strength bump. It can be used on a hard boss or perhaps a few bonus xp but I honestly don't think that's worth the price in hard dungeons.

As for multiplication with other preps, trisword being uncapped might be the bigger problem.
At the very least I'd like to see better examples of said multiplicative combinations.
paplaukes

Postby Blovski on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Well, the potions aren't really the problem with the trisword cap, it's more that at level 1 you can throw down reflex, strength and quicksilver for a permanent +6 base damage, a level 4-5ish kill, which bypasses the problem of high blackspace consumption exploro-fighting at level 1-2, nets you more bonus XP and saves you popcorn. Now, the most of that would work fine without the trisword, the reason that's such a viable/monster strategy is that it provides a permanent front-loaded stat-boost, but having +6 base damage for the whole game as a rogue or berserker is a huge deal. Incidentally, this also makes TT more desirable, because then you can stick your base damage and early boost onto late-game dodge-and-reflex fighting.

Frankly, the reason the occasional novelty strategies I come up with avoid the trisword is that it tends to make life dull.
Blovski

Postby Dreamdancer on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:55 pm

On the issue with the Trisword. Possible solution could be to make it similar to the Alchemist Scroll, meaning one could use the +2 damage buff only once every level. By lvl10 one would have +20 damage (if one uses the buff each lvl), which is not weak (i mean it's nearly half of the base damage from levels). But it would solve the problem with the 3pots at level1.
Dreamdancer

Postby FDru on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:03 pm

FDru

Postby Dreamdancer on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:30 pm

Dreamdancer

Postby paplaukes on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:47 pm

It's probably been suggested already too, but might make trisword work on health/mana pots only. Honestly, I'd just take a fine sword over much more expensive tri + pots and all that hassle and cheese.
paplaukes

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons