[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The high end potions and the difficulty curve

The high end potions and the difficulty curve

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The high end potions and the difficulty curve

Postby paplaukes on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:11 pm

If puzzles were used as an introduction they'd have to be, well, more tutorial like, less puzzle like. Else I'd have 0 gods available, I know that much :)

I'd also like more information on gods ingame. Likes, dislikes, desecration punishments perhaps. They're the only thing I had to check the wiki for. DD is otherwise pretty good with giving the info, most other roguelikes would have me reading the wiki constantly.
paplaukes

Postby The Avatar on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:39 pm

There's a piety tab that shows you when you lose or gain piety, but beyond that there's nothing. They will add a godex that shows you what gives and takes away piety after you do it once.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:44 pm

Yeah, codex will deffinitely help with all this - the devs have mentioned having discussions about it (several times?) and I suspect they were probably discussing, among other things, how much of this stuff is helpful information and how much is just spoilers (simmilar to my own concerns about making video tutorials).
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:52 pm

Bloggorus

Postby Lujo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:54 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:09 pm

Bloggorus

Postby xspeedballx on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:09 pm

Providing an entire toolkit when only a hammer would suffice is not a bad thing. Without it, I would not have been able to be excited by the win I described a few days back. It would have just been a loss and I would have just had to whine about how I don't understand gods and items don't seem to help me.

Lujo you asked me what I feel like improving is? Improving is succeeding where I once failed. Getting better means learning more places to use more items/gods/spells. Improving is screwing up my early game something fierce(or the game screwing me) and pulling out a win by utilizing something I never noticed/never used/never knew it's benefit. Every time I do that I small percent better chance on the next dungeon of succeeding. When that percent grows enough I can survive the resource hits that vicious dungeons provide.

Oddly enough Vicious HoS is the perfect first vicious to do. Why? Because I already learned it. Now it is just the same thing except harder(require more efficiency). Instead of the other vicious which are something new entirely. I felt like I improved enough from unlocking VHoS(actually one of the first mid game quests I completed) to do vicious and so I did. Granted on one of the best suited classes.. except not really because I struggle with the mana limitations(I actually gun for Mystera lately to make up for it, not sure if that is the best course but it works for me).

I dunno I am rambling now I am not sure I have any more points to make or if I am just repeating myself to hear my voice.
xspeedballx

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:44 pm

Last edited by Bloggorus on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloggorus

Postby xspeedballx on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:51 pm

Preps help you get to the end of the game(get to hard gaan-talet) which oddly enough requires you to know how to play without preps. Gameplay without preps is badge hunting. That is current design(whether intended or not). We can argue whether or not the game teaches you enough to complete Gaan-talet or not. I feel it does.. somehow because I was able to do it. But I am not a perfect example. Learning tiers probably needs improvement I won't argue that. I am not sure preps need to go, just that maybe the game should push more a few more purist runs here and there in early quests, or have you spend a little more time prepless(except for locker).

Obviously I learned enough to complete HVoH. And enough resource management and maybe not optimal but more efficient techniques to extend the learning.
xspeedballx

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:55 pm

One solution is to make purist runs WAY more rewarding. Like 500 gold rewarding. or seperate completion stats for purist runs.

After all, it's basically a complete remove from the rest of the game and it's lumped in with the other badges like it's not even an achievement.
Bloggorus

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons