[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Namtar's item... (Spoilers)

Namtar's item... (Spoilers)

All things Desktop Dungeons

Namtar's item... (Spoilers)

Postby TigerKnee on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Anyone see a game-breaking use for this item yet? I know it's accepted that The Avatar's sigil is very good for Warlords...

This one seems kind of bad though. Yes, technically, this does give you... let's say 7 casting of Death Protection... but Death Protection is a LOT more useful when repeatable and controllable, which this isn't. Which is why Pit Dog is such a lame class feature.
TigerKnee

Re: Namtar's item... (Spoilers)

Postby Wargizmo on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Never used it, considering it comes from the toughest boss in the game it seems quite bad, especially with the penalty. I only really keep it around as a trophy. If it restored you with full health it might be considered decent.
Wargizmo

Postby q 3 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:55 pm

I could see a Fighter strategy that involves using one death protection kill one powerful enemy each time you level up; combine that with Glowing Guardian and you've got a decent chance of ending up with level 11 stats + Enlightenment, albeit with vanilla level 10 HP.

It would be a decent item for Warlords, if the Avatar's item didn't exist.

It could also make for an insane Rogue strategy, similar to the Fighter strategy above but you end up as a complete glass cannon. Rogues make better use of instant death protection than just about any other class since their HP is already low and their attack is very high.

As it is, I agree that it's not very good for being the current ultimate boss' drop. Especially compared against the Avatar's item. Now if you could carry both of them at the same time...

I'll probably try experimenting with it a bit, although having to beat Namtar again each time I lose one will be a chore.
q 3

Postby bla0815 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:05 pm

You only lose it, if you convert it. At least that's how lockerable items work for me.
bla0815

Postby q 3 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:32 pm

You also lose it if you die. I suppose I could take Insurance, although I'd have to delete one of the other Thief Guild preparations first... Although you're not fully testing it if you don't convert it once you reach level 10. :)
q 3

Postby bla0815 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:07 pm

bla0815

Postby q 3 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Wow, really? Either that's a bug or Insurance is really lame. Generally the only locker Item I use are Sensation Stones, and those get converted right away so I've never noticed...
q 3

Postby Wargizmo on Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:59 pm

I've died dozens of times and I don't think I've ever lost a locker or blacksmith item (except when I've converted it a locker item), I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but right now that insurance preparation is almost completely pointless.
Wargizmo

Postby Xanopticon on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:52 pm

Since I still haven't beaten him (and i've tried many times), anyone care to mention what it actually does?
Xanopticon

Postby q 3 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:28 am

Gain instant death protection every time you level up; max HP is decreased by 2 every time you level up; worth 100 conversion points.
q 3

Return to Desktop Dungeons