[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - I wish I could prep Avatar's Codex and Dragonshield

I wish I could prep Avatar's Codex and Dragonshield

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: I wish I could prep Avatar's Codex and Dragonshield

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:00 am

I'm convinced that the acid caster can handle any vicious token map that doesn't completely hose Earthmother with its layout. There are also some exotic variants involving a conversion into Mystera that I haven't experimented with because no Hard map offers a target that justifies that kind of firepower.

i think that any Codex/EM build will only be superficially related to the acid caster. The latter works by focusing all of its resources into mana and Greenblood. Once you have to start worrying about enemy damage everything changes.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:28 am

True, true.

But forgetting my Bloodmage detour, the EM spellcaster doesn't really have a use for either health or health pots, except if you run into B2P. So going codex with, say, priest or monk + EM would probably be pretty sweet. My suggestion for making clearance give 12 mana back instead of 10 was aimed at giving it a more universal appeal instead of putting it squarely in the job description of wizards and paladins.

And if weakening wasn't such a godsend against the shade in CO, and EM spellcaster would actually have a much better time in CO (and probably allready has due to all the plants in the curse world). All those magic users, mana burners and blinkers are pretty nasty against Mysterea, and wouldn't phase EM one bit.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:45 am

I've done Cursed Oasis with the acid caster, but it's not ideal. The problem isn't the Shade. Corrosion plus the Shade's low innate health is more than enough to power through it. The problem is that the dragon has retaliation. You have to have PISORF.

Having your plants and Greenblood stacks get split between worlds also sucks royally, and the AAs are a pain as well. If you want a Earthmother caster for this map, a Punchomancer with heavy Vine Form support is probably better.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:00 am

Oh, yeah, dat retaliation -.- Does retaliation from codex stack with regular retaliation?

And the splitting of stuff in CO really ought to be a bit more moderate - I think if one of the things I've come to learn in all this time is true than it's this - blinking lifestealers is nasty bussiness. Shades really mess any run up for me.

EDIT: Wow, Codex EM Goblin Sorcerer had a really easy time in CO - shades don't blink, retaliation doesn't stack, EM doesn't punkish killing all the magic stuff, mana shield kills AA's, nothing takes more than 3 fireballs to kill and you don't have to tank more then one usually (plus ones you don't tank heal you up). No weakenings, either, and I ran out of health potions so I had to convert all the glyphs iv'e been saving to ding to heal up. Got me the bagde I was missing, DING Max! too. Wow. I did spam entanglements and clearences while leveling though, and IMAWAL really gets you those levels fast.
Lujo

Postby FDru on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:50 am

Forgot to mention that the Witchalok Pendant triggers stoneskin before the enemy counterattack hits.
FDru

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:48 am

I just tried the Codex Sorcerer. Fun stuff. I would've gotten Hoarder if I hadn't converted a redundant IMAWAL to clear space. The trick is to mostly ignore EM's long term boons and store piety for Clearance and Entanglement spam. Take 2-3 hits of Vineform at 1st level because it's almost free, and use Greenblood as needed to mitigate curse.

gripe I almost didn't do this. I didn't have the Codex lockered and didn't want to spend 20-30 minutes resolving Demonic Library. I like DL, but it's not what I wanted to do tonight. If it weren't for the magic of hacking, I wouldn't have bothered /gripe
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:03 am

Yep, that's the ghist of it - where did you do this?

gripe I totaly could discover this because I let post game rewards clog up my locker, god knows what all didn't come to my mind because of that codex sitting there all the time /gripe
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:10 am

Cursed Oasis. Entangle is the real star of the show there. I probably used it close to ten times.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:15 am

Lujo

Postby Blovski on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:44 pm

Eh - I've been alright on the Cursed Oasis shades and I've been playing mostly purist or near-purist. Also, doesn't knockback prevent blink? The shades on Creeplight are optional, so that's not too big a deal for me.
Blovski

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons