Mix and Match Custom Classes

All things Desktop Dungeons

Mix and Match Custom Classes

Postby echephron on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:30 am

Sorry if this has been addressed, but I couldn't find it. It's my first post. I have been playing for a few weeks and cleared half the vicious.

I'd love it if we could make a custom classes. The way I envision it is as follows:

There is a 4th unlock level on each class building(guild, mage tower, thieves den, church)
There is a 4th class to unlock in each of those buildings. Named something cool no doubt.
On the race/class screen, there is a 4th class in those buildings. When you pick that class, you go to a popup screen where you pick three traits from the nine traits taken from other classes from the building. Once selected, you go back to the main race/class screen. If you hover over your selected class, the info popup will show the traits you selected.

Some base traits would have to be slightly adjusted. Here are a proposed list of changes:
The monk traits would have to be recombined due to Hand-to-hand only being bad. Maybe start with something like this:
Diamond Body: 50% phy resist, -2 base damage per level
Discipline: Double Health regeneration, -30% attack bonus
Resistance: Higher resistance cap.

Assassin's "sometimes first strike" would have to balance with rogue's "always first strike". Maybe move one hp per level lost from the attack bonus trait to the first strike trait.
I'd adjust Wizard so that the small-item glyphs and conversion point lending abilities tie into one single trait and the remainder of those traits go into a separate trait. This change isn't important.

So there you go. Anyone have any posted info on this topic that I missed?

Edit: Some problems people brought up:
Rogue attack attack bonus stacking(+70% when they are full hp, first strike, -5hp/level)
Monk resistance stacking(75%phy, -2 base damage/level)

I'd be fine with any sort of extra Penalty. Make these characters not "legal"(don't get badges, gold, or complete quests) if you like. These added classes would be a post- hard GT.
Last edited by echephron on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
echephron

Re: Mix and Match Custom Classes

Postby Dreamdancer on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:19 pm

The idea sounds nice (i like customation). But it would really hard to be balanced.

Two examples:
Use Rogue as a template, kick Dodge and take the +30% damage bonus against new monsters from the thief -> +70% damage against new monsters (plus we still have first strike)... I mean who needs Dodge then (if GETINDARE had still dodge-prediction i would miss Dodge, but as it is +30% damage sounds better)?
Use Monk as template, kick the Double Health Regen, and take +25% phys-resi from paladin -> 75% phys-resi.

Probably even nastier shenanigans are possible. So all in all, i don't think it's such a good idea
Dreamdancer

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:27 pm

It's been discussed, but when you do a point-by analysis things are all over the place. Testing these 18 or so guys took the whole of alpha, and then another year (it seems). Some of them are the way they are just because the "devs said so" - no point buy really justifies it. You wouldn't believe what you'd end up with if yo went to mix and match.

I mean, there's probably place for more classes, and there is going to be expansions for this almost certanly, but making them doesn't really work with point buy systems.

And as for monk - perfect illustration. One ability is a complete downside, one is 50% resists, and the third one gives such an overwhelming advantage he could start every level with a kick in the crotch on top of his disability and beat most places.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby echephron on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:37 am

Rogue attack attack bonus stacking(+70% when they are full hp, first strike, -5hp/level): I blame Orcs and swords. Bad for balance, yes, but not terribly so. Enemies with First strike, death protection, or sturdiness all attack you back, with your low hp and no dodge. Keep in mind that Orc rogues are already pretty strong.
Monk resistance stacking(75%phy, -2 base damage/level):They have reduced damage(with my remake) and normal regeneration, so I don't see a huge problem. They seem about the same to me as monks who prepare a dragon shield.

I'd be fine with any sort of extra Penalty. Maybe make these characters not "legal"(don't get badges, gold, or complete quests). These added classes would be strickly a post- hard GT.
echephron

Postby paplaukes on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:02 pm

The class ideas are interesting, but they sound like they should belong to a heavy mod rather than the original game. They would also further delay the release.
paplaukes

Postby The Avatar on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:17 pm

And be totally broken. On the topic of classes, isn't there going to be a special edition class?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:49 pm

I've actually thought about making a thread like this, although proposing it as a forum game rather than a feature. Take any three named class features and stick them together. Forget about balance. What three traits would you pick if you had to bet your house on a single game of DTD?
Sidestepper

Postby Naoya on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:28 pm

Diamond body, Discipline, and Dangerous.
Monk with rogue damage. It's probably the most obvious combo - the only thing that would probably a problem would be hardhitting magic dmg monsters. Then again, we have binlor...
Naoya

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Dangerous also carries the health penalty. I'd consider switching to out for Berserker's Bloodlust.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Wizard spell cost reduction
Sorcerors mana pool
Fighter's XP benefits

ought to be enough to kill anything
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons