The horse is not quite dead: Locker space and fun

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The horse is not quite dead: Locker space and fun

Postby Naoya on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Yeah, would be nice if something could be done about that.

You may be able to scum for needed items in the beginning, when you're not having many unlocks, but once your itempool reaches a certain size scumming simply takes too long. And then there are items like Fabulous treasure who never appear in shop pools (correct me if I'm wrong, but I've NEVER seen it in any shops) and vicious rewards, which you can only obtain from beating the dungeons. Granted, most people here more or less eat vicious dungeons for breakfast, but having to play through an entire dungeon so you can just try something is annyoing .
Of course, you can locker those things, but than you have the choice of either limiting your lockerspace even more or going through an entire dungeon again everytime you try a combo using one of those items.
Anyway, endgame needs a shift from "time" to "gold".

Sidesteppers and Avatar's ideas are excellent;
I also think someone recently suggested something similar; a "vault" where every item you found can be stored, and from where you can put those items in your locker. Everytime you want to put something else in your lockers, you'd need to pay a large price for replacing it, but that way you would at least cut down on the scumming. (Not really much of a different idea, just throwing it out because I found it interesting when I read it.)
Naoya

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:27 am

Strongly support the motion, on sensible grounds.

I only lockered something besides the 4 vicious things, fabulous treasure, trisword and crystal ball after unlocking my SECOND extra slot. This has also reduced my options pool unless I want to scum for items or have them in the backpack, and is probably the main reason why much of the implemented stuff generally gets feedback much later than it gets implemented. And I spend way too much time with the game already - I can beat a vicious dungeon, but I don't want to have to beat it every time with something I know I can beat it with just so I can get an item, because that takes even more time out of my life, and I don't even get extra completion.

It also helps create the elitist mentality because it adds additional psych value to over the top items - nothing can really compete with them for the locker slot, to someone who gets comfortable with them. And it's easier to get comfortable with something you got lockered then anything else, which probably created the original "Dragonshield is mandatory" mentality.

It also part of the reason the learning curve related to gods, degenerate strats and vicious fails to teach it's lessons - the limited locker space really constricts player experimentaton options. If locker slots get filled with stuff that looks mandatory before a player can even be aware of all the options (gods for example), items that enable or help strats which the player wasn't able to be aware of will probably never get lockered, the way it is now. They spend too much time with the game reaching VICIOUS, and it doesn't seem likely that after all that time they really need to go reconsider all they've learned. It's the main ingreedient of the "I have no time for this in my life" reaction, and that reaction is really sensible considering how much time someone has to spend playing a videogame to even reach vicious.

So in short - I like the big pool of items - gold costs to add as perma preps - sometimes post game.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby booooooze on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:40 am

Especially with so many of them now. Fist (er, codex), cauldron, shield, namtar's thingy, trisword, and fabulous treasure (I'll never give it up) makes six. And six locker spots is already a lot of gold spent.
booooooze

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:25 am

And I know from expirience there's a lot of stuff that you simply can't learn unless you spend a lot of time with the Bloody Sigil, Troll Heart, Blue Bead, and there's a lot of PQI badges which get turned around in difficulty if you have space for Viper Ward (Hex Ruins and such). God knows how much stuff I've missed because of this and I've played the game way more than you can expect anyone to. If it wasn't for guys who don't locker vicious rewards, or whole new profiles where I avoid lockering stuff on purpose - my strat repertoire would be severly limited and my opinion of various classes, gods and dungeons would be really far from objective.
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:28 am

Right.

Coming next week: Real Money Auction House.

Because that never breaks games at all. Ever.
dislekcia

Postby Murdus on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:59 am

I fail to see how sandbox Infilocker -after- game completion is any way related to RMAH. I'm confused now trying to figure out the meaning of that statement.
Murdus

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:49 am

Sarcasm! The most purile form of comedy.

Fagh!
Bloggorus

Postby Lujo on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:00 pm

At least he's chipper. Plus, he seems to be refferning to the reasons they didn't want this in the first place - give the players this, they ask for more, give them that, they ask for more. The suggestion, however, wasn't bad, I think, and we might even get it eventually, or some functionality of it through the codex in indirect ways. I'm also pretty sure that even if all this convinced him/them we wouldn't get a "oh, right, let me just drop whatever's up so we can do this"...
Lujo

Postby Murdus on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Oh. Escalation, and such. I get it now.

Sorry. I am bad at brain.
Murdus

Postby Lujo on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:31 pm

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer either, my brain-to-text obviously gave in at some point.

At least you fixed the warlord :D

Anyway, I think this has been the closest we ever got to formulation this request without suggesting escalation. If that's still the biggest issue, I'm kind of optimistic in the long run...
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons