[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Design post on the blog!

Design post on the blog!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Design post on the blog!

Postby Bloggorus on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:38 am

Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:01 am

If it is even moddable. I hope there will be some way for us normal people (as in mediocre with computers) to mod it.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Bloggorus on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:17 am

It depends on the structure of the code, but I would say so. The fact that is built in Unity, and the fact that the devs added the ability to dynamically increase the number of locker slots using n in-game event give me hope.

A mod would probably do something non-game breaking like make increasing your locker slots only cost 100 or 500 gold. Modify (hopefully) a few lines of code that cap this process at three extra slots and BAM, instant infinite locker.

Unless they just hardcoded nine slots and hid three behind events, in which case we are boned.

How many items are there? I probably only need twenty or so :)
Bloggorus

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:52 am

Moddable or not, it is inevitable that someone will make a simple hex editor with a nice front end to fiddle with the savegame files. Unfortunately, it will probably be kind of "cheaty" (eg no gold cost or quest prereqs, and probably will let you swap in items that you haven't even unlocked), but that's how it is. This might even be the ideal solution, since it doesn't cost the devs any resources.

If anyone ever played Titan Quest, there was a similar issue where players had theoretically unlimited storage but the process of accessing it and organizing it was extremely tedious. Someone made a utility called TQVault which which removed the hassle and is basically considered to be part of the core experience by the fans.

I'm done with the issue because it's clear that the devs are set on this, but I still feel like they don't understand what we are saying. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how paying a gold fee to swap in a Health Pendant for my Dwarven Gauntlets breaks the game, but performing the same operation by grinding doesn't. I don't think we're ever going to get a direct answer to that so I'm done asking.
Sidestepper

Postby TigerKnee on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:22 am

Incidentally, I think the example given in the post about "changing gun sound effect = players are happy, gun was fine all along! Players were just whiny and there was no reason to change the gun's stats!" to be a really bad example.

Normally when this happens, the gun itself may have not changed that patch, but the situation around it (or the "Meta", so to speak) has changed which now makes the gun viable to use.

As an example, consider a "soft" weapon weakness chain of

Pistol > Rocket Launcher (our "Sound effect was changed gun" for this example) > Shotgun > Pistol

And let's say this chain isn't obvious. Players might have gravitated towards Pistol for whatever reasons that might not be known to them. Therefore, tweaking the RL's numbers tend not to help, because unless the numbers are tweaked so high that it becomes overpowered, it will always be at a disadvantage through the properties of being a Rocket Launcher weapon.

Now let's say a month later, you do the patch that changed the RL's sound effect but also have a bunch of other changes. The pros developed a shotgun strategy that is really really effective and now everyone wants to use a shotgun. To counter the shotgun, people now turn to the rocket launcher, and now the RL gets used where it didn't before.

You guys would go "Look, there wasn't a need to change the RL stats all along!" but well, that's wrong. If everything else had remained the same, it wouldn't be an acceptable weapon. The enviroment changed and thus it became viable.

Man that's really rambly.
TigerKnee

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:46 am

That's a problem with having too many guns, or a screwy learning curve. Same thing with dwarves or weakening. Not relevant to this disscussion, especially since:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FISHEO3gsM
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Bloggorus on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:48 am

I don't think the gun analogy was about the locker, it was a dodgy proof of concept of their design language theory. It was basically them telling us to stop suggesting changed numbers and give them more holistic feedback.

I feel like many of the posts in this thread were quite broad in their discussion about the locker as a component of the game as a whole. On the other hand there were heaps that just suggested new features, which isn't really constructive feedback.

Still, i feel that thread presented a fairly united view that the current implementation of the locker needs development at the end game. The likelihood this happening so late in the development cycle is very low, but it was interesting nonetheless and perhaps an indicator of the potential,of mods to make this game into something that meets every players expectations.
Bloggorus

Postby Lujo on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:43 am

Last edited by Lujo on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:52 am

dislekcia

Postby dislekcia on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:01 am

dislekcia

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons