[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Bring on the Pretty

Bring on the Pretty

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Bring on the Pretty

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Last edited by Lujo on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby paplaukes on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Initial impression only. The kingdom screen is pretty, but not functional, because the classes/preps are too scattered. I think dungeon preparation screen should be different/more compact. Only comparison I can think of - HoMM castle screen. There were a lot of separate unit buildings but you could do your hiring in one place.
paplaukes

Postby Naoya on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:35 pm

The shears seem to be the new reward for clearing the Slime pits Quest - I still have to do that one, and it displays them as reward. And I got the vicious token for free. Awesome.

The kingdom screen looks... weird. It's nice that all the buttons no longer cluster-f*** the screen, and it looks well, but that the preparations and classes are all over the screen is a bit annoying.

Edit: It still crashes on exiting a dungeon in firefox for me.
Last edited by Naoya on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Naoya

Postby Blovski on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:35 pm

New Trisword interesting. Fundamentally sort of like. The cap is maybe too steep for it to work as the prep-monster it's been for forever. Suppose my question is how it compares to Whurgarbl or Vamp Blade and things like that rather than how it compares to the old Trisword. Still, Gnome Warlords, anyone? And at least it's valuable as an in-dungeon find now.

Frankly we've probably spent too long balancing gnomelings on the old trisword being devastating. Kind of nice that they're going back to working how gnomelings work rather than being gold-chomping Orcs with benefits.

I love the look of the new interface. Currently don't like it for actual selection of stuff since there's just icons spread everywhere and it's fairly unintuitive to me. Tempted to start a second profile to see how it feels if you expand it from the start.
Blovski

Postby opholi on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:12 pm

This new kingdom is really cool and pretty :)
Nevertheless, there's a little bugs : Human race is not displayed
Thanks for this new update ! :D
opholi

Postby Darvin on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:57 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:14 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby FDru on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:34 pm

FDru

Postby Abraxas on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:52 pm

So I've been playing for a while on a new profile, got so far as getting some level 2 buildings.

One of the biggest issues I noticed is how easy it is to miss that a new building showed up on the map. Even though I knew from experience more or less when I'd be getting the blacksmith, I still went through a good few runs before realizing it was there. That cool blue glitter effect that's used in the tutorials is used to point at the tavern when the tutorials are done with, I'd maybe use that every time a new building shows up.

Speaking of the Blacksmith, it's awfully indistinct from the neighborhood. It feels not so great that the blacksmith, a building I might actually want to click every now and then, is completely surrounded by a place with no reason to click. The same thing happens to a lesser degree with the dwarves' place and the tavern, and I've misclicked it more than just a few times.

But perhaps the biggest issue right now is that there is no way to visualize the buildings by logical groupings. Every and now and then, I wanted to go through the class buildings to remind myself of how much I had upgraded them and to check if there were new challenges available, and it's actually quite a bit of a mental exercise to remember where each of them is. At the very least upgradable buildings should stand out, else it's very easy to forget about them.

All in all, it is very pretty, but it still has a ways to go functionality and things-standing-out wise. As it is right now, playing through the game from a clean profile does little to make things less confusing, and even when you know where things are, the lack of logical groupings makes things quite inconvenient to access.
That which is not dead may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Abraxas

Postby Darvin on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:27 am

Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons