Thief Gold

All things Desktop Dungeons

Thief Gold

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:59 pm

Cant for the life of me figure out how to finish this. Nothing I do gets me out of the weakening and corrosion loop.
Bloggorus

Re: Thief Gold

Postby FDru on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:03 am

Fight for as long as you can with the debuffs, and only use the tonics to clear them when you're incapable of getting a kill.
FDru

Postby Ach Wheesht on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:05 am

I ended up doing theif gold on my second try - its worth noting that the boss is really, really, really easy once you get enough glyphs (I think endiswall being the most important).
Ach Wheesht

Postby Naoya on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:21 am

Aaaaah, thief Gold. I really like that challenge; it does a fine job teaching (read: forcing) you to be not too afraid of getting debuffs; Not sure how its with you, but I NEVER considered fighting anything that had corrosion or weaking; clearing this challenge has taught me that a few debuffs won't kill you. Most of the time, anyways .
But still, it made me relive my Ick Swamp trauma...

There are 2 Burn salves and Fortitude Tonics in the chests, as well as GETINDARE.
The key is to find GETINDARE early enough and don't care much about debuffs.
Not sure if its the most ideal way, but try to use the balanced dagger and GETINDARE to fight the corrosion guys.
Use IMAWAL on the Spellslingers if you find it. Ignore the weaking guys unless its not possible.
Use 1 set of potions during fighting, the other against Sillyname. Sillyname is a total pushover; using a midfight lvup together with getindare or simply using your normal potions is enough to defeat him.
Naoya

Postby booooooze on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:03 am

Naoya is wise... you really just need to get to level 8, and with the balanced dagger +3 now, just stick to things that are your level, preferably afer IAMWALing a spellslinger.
booooooze

Postby The Avatar on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:13 am

Level 8?! The boss is a joke. You can get the kill earlier. I'll make a vid of it (it's one of my favorite challenges too). The key to sillyname, which everyone should use, is ENDISWALL for 65% res on the first, then potions for more stoneskin, and GETINDARE for the kill. You can fight the weakening ones. Trust me, you'll live. Also, for the first level, if you can find an attack booster, kill two spellslingers (level one, of course) to level.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby booooooze on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Fine, you don't need to get to level 8. I just played through it twice, first layout I couldn't win, I was conservative on the second run, got to 8 with relative easy, and at that point Sillyname went down in two hits. So, yeah. How about: "If you get to level 8, which shouldn't be too tough, Sillyname goes down in two hits."
booooooze

Postby The Avatar on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:18 am

I don't know. It heavily depends on how fast you can find GETINDARE (a must for level 2). I find you can reliable reach level 6 or so, but that's it.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby booooooze on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:31 am

True enough. I haven't played it more than a handful, and I know you're much better at this game than I am.
booooooze

Postby Bloggorus on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:22 am

Many thanks to everyone, I finally got it. Scumming for first level Getindare was essential, as was conserving black space.

I fought the boss at seventh level with no midlevel ding, still had three of each potion to spare.

At first I tried to avoid weakening altogether, but in the end I found that balancing corrosion and weakening in equal measure, as well as leveling up off spellslingers whenever possible.

Didn't kill a single higher-level monster (no idea balanced dagger was so awesome). IMAWAL seemed marginal but probably made a big difference.

Now to play with fabulous treasure, which should be interesting. I can think of many ways to use it.
Bloggorus

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons