[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Mystera Annur Tutorial Attempt

Mystera Annur Tutorial Attempt

All things Desktop Dungeons

Mystera Annur Tutorial Attempt

Postby Lujo on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:41 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix4CzFReUYI

Ok, this has been up for a while, and I suppose it's not very good, and 40 minutes is way too long for a tutorial. Can't get any better without feedback, though, so if anyone wants a more concise one, a better one, shorter one, or wants somebody else to make a better one - do check it out, please. Ty.

(Oh, and it's a fighter vicious venture cave run with just mystera and magnet: fireball if anyone's als interested in that).
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Re: Mystera Annur Tutorial Attempt

Postby Dreamdancer on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:08 pm

Comment to the piety loss from getting mana burned:
you had 8 mana and lost 9 piety. probably it's
mana lost+1 = piety loss
Dreamdancer

Postby TheSchachter on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:26 am

This tutorial would've actually been a big help to me a while ago, back when I didn't realise how much I wasted blackspace (I still waste too much, in fact). I think I already use Mystera fairly efficiently by now, though I certainly can't say the same for some of the other gods... I imagine that there are a lot of players such as myself who spend a lot of time playing this game without realising that you can spam glyphs like that just for the sake of piety (or crystal ball/fire heart charges etc).

As for feedback, I would perhaps suggest to stop and highlight any mistakes or bad moves you make. I know from experience that it can be really hard to play games like this while also commenting without making mistakes or rushing, but since tutorials like this might attract players with varying skill levels, taking the time to explain why attacking this or using that was a bad move might transform errors into further opportunities for teaching/learning. It would especially help new-to-mid level players to distinguish between high level play and mistakes (when you're new, it's hard to tell those apart sometimes XD). You did it to a degree, like when you explained why you should've taken the flames boon at the end, but I think maybe you could have done it a bit more. Of course, you could certainly argue that it wouldn't always have been relevant to the tutorial... that was just my impression from a single viewing. Your call!

Well, that's all I had to say for now. I thought the tutorial was informative, and I enjoyed watching it. :)
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Lujo on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:02 am

Ty for your feedback! I hope I can do the other gods too - Mystera was just really easy because of her prep penalty and the fact that you can reliably go monothistic with her.

As for the mistakes - I made a ton of them compared to what a concentrated pro is supposed to do when really trying. However, I thought that it would look less intimidating to a newbie, it would save quite a bit of time*, it can show just how large a margin of error good god use can allow, it focuses on the god rather than other aspects, and most importantly - to give room to improve. I don't think I want to make a tutorial that someone watching can't top, and this one can be optimized by class, race and item selection, conserving blackspace and trying harder. The way I went about this might be wrong, I hope I'll find a way to do better with other gods.

I'm also not the best with some of them, and just about all of them have more depth than Mystera, in the sense that using them with different classes/races supposes different playstyles. Some of them can't be prepped reliably, or the way you play them changes considerably. It's a tricky and time consuming proposition, but - which one would you guys like to see explained next?

*I loved q3's assassin run in the Hall's of Steel, but I ended up listening more than watching, as I turned it on while I do housework since it was very long.
Lujo

Postby berpdreyfuss on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks for the video! I think you did a good job explaining all the mechanics. I don't think these should aim for optimal play because a big part of the fun of the game is to discover things you can optimize. I watched some advanced videos and always felt like cheating. Just go for the mechanics. Even in this video there will be a lot of new information for someone new to the game, maybe even too much, I don't know.

I would like to see a video on dracul because I almost always only use him at the very end to get sanguine and bloodswells.
berpdreyfuss

Postby Lujo on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Drac tutorial taped, will be up there by tommorow ^^
Lujo

Postby TheSchachter on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:37 pm

Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Lujo on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:39 pm

Ah, I see :) Well, you're right - maybe I should've explained my mistakes a little bit. But I somehow think that I'd like to give people a chance to feel good about one-upping me and improving on what I have to teach them, and principaly have fun while they play. Sure min-maxing and planning every move you make is fun for some people (and it's often fun for me - I used to do a lot of insanely pedantic VGT runs), but I'd like to have some relaxed and non-hardcore vids out there to show that the community's really open to people who don't play every run like their life depends on it. I never wanted to be hardcore in the first place, I think the game can be enjoyed in more casual ways as well :D

Also, just showing how many mistakes you can make and still win a low-prep fighter vicious run made me feel good because it shows that quite often what you need is faith in your god. Now once you know somethign like that can be achieved with, say, Mysterea, even if you knew how she worked before, you'll probably be more confident about opting for her in serious situations, and if you are determined enough, god knows what you can achieve.

But, I'll see about explaining my mistakes a bit in the future (not in the drac vid, though, it's allready done). If you're interested in really analytical vids (and good ones concerning general gameplay) do check out q3's Naga City tinker and Halls of Steel Assassin ones - there's tons to learn in there ^^
Lujo

Return to Desktop Dungeons