[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Rogue Gold

Rogue Gold

All things Desktop Dungeons

Rogue Gold

Postby Bloggorus on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:10 am

Been bashing my head against it for a while now.

I think the idea is that you are supposed to leverage TT to generate enough reflex and quicksilver to take down the boss. He has 145 attack, which no rogue is going to be able to take on, even with pactmaker health and some lucky item finds.

I'm struggling to find a way up through levels. Maybe i'm simply not used to vanilla rogue, but this challenge seems EXTREMELY scum dependent.

I feel like it's been calibrated on the old dodge prediction, and now I can;t reliably tell if I'm going to luck out.

Any advice, people?
Bloggorus

Re: Rogue Gold

Postby FDru on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:26 am

I found Binlor early, run was cake. All of the wall crushers went to conversions (probably 300-400 CP). Use PISORF on high level enemies and the boss to wear them (and him) down. ENDISWAL and Stone Skin boons allow you to take some hits as well. I think I picked an Orc, but can't remember if race selection is allowed on that one... (I just know I always pick Orc for Rogues)
FDru

Postby Bloggorus on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:27 am

Is binlor in that dungeon by default? I havent found him in the last three runs I've made!
Bloggorus

Postby sitnaltax on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:31 am

Hint: You can tank those hits. Being an Orc is fine.

Spoiler: Worship Binlor. He provides ENDISWAL to tank hits, PISORF for damage, and Stone Fist allows you to make the most of your orc-enhanced attack power. If you don't find him early, you might need to restart, but the scumming isn't too bad. You'll have plenty of digging power, so convert the extra Wall Crushers for even more offense. CYDSTEPP is helpful if you find it of course.
sitnaltax

Postby sitnaltax on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:37 am

sitnaltax

Postby Bloggorus on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:46 am

That's a bit weird given that I can see no way to do it with TT alone.

Might need looking at by the devs.

edit: actually scratch that, it's probably doable with TT. Just means you have to get lucky with items and monster mix. Binlor is definitely more straightforward though.
Last edited by Bloggorus on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:47 am

Tiki Tooki Pactmaker can work with quicksilver and reflex, but the accepted easy solution is the above. Binlor is the way to go.

I find that in gold challenges, one of the gods makes it really easy, but they're never a guaranteed spawn. For example, Mystera makes sorcerer gold a piece of cake, but the game always gives me Tiki and the other god (I think Binlor). For gold challenges with three altars, they really should make all three of them guaranteed spawns.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Bloggorus on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:52 am

I agree. THe less scumming the better, although the fact that you have to go purist means that the cost is negligible. Unless you count player time and patience, which I think the devs consider infinite.
Bloggorus

Postby Lujo on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:32 am

I managed it by going Binlor + Warrior's pact (the health one), I think. I think I was also a dwarf and converted just about everything. As long as you're in Binlor, and if you're an orc, you can probably really go nuts with pissorf.

And I think it made me feel glad when I did it because I did it without getindare (I think), because it was screwing with the challenges at the time.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby sitnaltax on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:36 am

To see if it could be done, I gave Rogue Gold a shot worshipping only TT.

It was extremely difficult, but I managed, barely. I still played Orc. I didn't find any HP-boosting items in shops, and being unable to take even one hit means I had to mostly only fight monsters my own level. (Finding a Balanced Dagger would help a lot.) I also had to use most of the Wall Crunchers to, you know, crunch walls, rather than being able to convert them for more offense. The worst part is that with Binlor, you can ENDISWAL two or three times to be able to tank one hit from a monster and then kill it with first strike. With TT, that's not available.

Anyway, using WEYTWUT plus Tikki's Edge kept my XP problems from being critical. I needed three shots of Reflexes to beat the boss. I got two from killing lower-level monsters and just about lost hope for the third (out of money)--until I realized I could desecrate Binlor's altar. With Pactmaker, of course, I could have taken Consensus instead. (But I don't think any Pact would be worth the piety.)

It occurs to me in retrospect that if I had thought to desecrate Binlor's altar earlier, I could have used CYDSTEPP for several hits against the boss without TT freaking out. With luck, I could even get a natural dodge; alternatively, this could help set up a Quicksilver hit if I ran out of first-strike popcorn.

Dwarf might alleviate the problem of not being able to take a single hit from monsters; on the other hand, I'm not sure, but it might require another shot of Reflexes, which would be tough to find.
sitnaltax

Return to Desktop Dungeons