Feeling Nostalgic

All things Desktop Dungeons

Feeling Nostalgic

Postby Sylliqoue on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:58 am

Alright, so I was feeling kinda nostalgic about some things from the alpha and thought I would share and ask others to share what they really miss about the alpha days.

Changeling...I really miss this, i had a sneaking suspicion it might be the unique class, but didn't have the cash when i per-ordered all that time ago to do the deluxe version, but This character was a challenge to use in most cases, also the sense of accomplishment gained when unlocking it is relatively unmatched.

Also, gauntlet mode, gauntlet was just fun, I can live without it in the current game but it is something I still miss.

Anyone else got something they miss?
Sylliqoue

Re: Feeling Nostalgic

Postby FDru on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:08 pm

Um, the entire reward structure basically?

Gradually unlocking little things with more and more completion was awesome. It's what kept me coming back for years until I eventually beat everything with every class (including changeling just for fun).

By comparison, the only reward for completion in beta is MOAR GOLD!!! which I couldn't give a crap about (spending 500,000 or whatever gold it'll take for the remaining bank upgrades and last locker slot is less of a "goal" than it is "not worth doing").
FDru

Postby Sylliqoue on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:55 pm

The unlock system was pretty awesome in the alpha, especially the way you unlocked more shops and starting gold.
Sylliqoue

Postby The Avatar on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:36 pm

Yeah, the unlock system in the alpha was truly an elegant solution. Also, I miss the campaign. It was lots of fun.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Yeah, DTD has the same problem that most games have with in game currency. Money is effectively unlimited. NPCs happily and robotically buy piles and piles of useless crap that you find on the ground and never get tired of it. The designers are aware of this problem, and even make satire of it with the trophy system, but mechanically the problem still exists. The result is that money is an interesting resource for a middling portion of the game, and then quickly becomes superfluous as truly useful upgrades are purchased. It's common in such games to see hyper expensive items added late in the development cycle as a sponge for endgame money, and that is exactly what we've seen happen in DTD. I've never really liked that kind of solution because it just isn't a fun reward system.

The fight is over on this issue, but I would have preferred some kind of open ended locker or vault system in which new slots become available at certain percentage completion milestones, and the pricing on the slots was scaled so that if you didn't use any preps, you would just barely be able to afford the slot as soon as it becomes available. The result is a fun and largely open ended goal that rewards doing new things and towards which you can make meaningful progress in a single evening.

I'm optimistic that we will be able to create something like this through modding, and even have some ideas about how it would work. We'll know for sure after final release.
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:42 pm

That is assuming we can get some form of modding to work. That's no guaranteed, unfortunately.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:06 pm

I'm with sidestepper on this one (big surprise there :( ). Discussion over, issue still there. Modding, in the loosest term of the word probably will happen - and will be a good indicator if the game was interesting enough to people to play it to the point where the issue inevitably hits you. I've seen more complicated stuff modded into games before, and I've seen such mods make games far inferior to DD spike up in playability.

If it doesn't happen, to me it'll mean noone cracking/coding savvy enough got interested enough to play through it twice. Since the game is good enough (and better than that), the internet large enough, and the problem persistent and obvious enough, chances of it not happening are probably pretty slim. I'd prefer having it solved as a core feature rather than a hack, but what can you do? And that's all - I say there's no point debating or discussing this anymore.

On topic: tbh, I don't miss all that much. I think the expirience improved quite a bit, while retaining most of what drew me to it. I don't even miss the reward/unlock system that much, I'd be annoyed at the issue with the current one even if I've never seen the old one :)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Sylliqoue on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:47 pm

I think that the game is in a pretty good state at the moment, there is an "issue" with late game gold just piling up, but the point of this is just to reminisce about the alpha and how far the game has come. Remember being able to swap tile sets? ah...there were some really good ones.
Sylliqoue

Postby The Avatar on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:15 pm

I hope there's someone tech savvy enough to get something up like what they have for world of goo (if anyone is familiar with GooTool or Woogle, programs to make and install level packs and other mods). I, for one, would love to see level adding capabilities and I'm sure others have ideas that would be cool to try. The great thing about level adding capabilities is it means infinite content, and that is not a bad thing.

The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:09 am

Alpha unlock structure.

More focus on taking advantage of what you find in the dungeon to take down hard dungeons, rather than the heavy- choose correct prep focus for harder dungeons.
TigerKnee

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons