[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Feeling Nostalgic

Feeling Nostalgic

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Feeling Nostalgic

Postby Sidestepper on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:32 pm

That style of play is there. It doesn't get discussed as much simply because there isn't anything to discuss. "Try to find a random combo of items that works" isn't a very useful advice to someone who is struggling, but "prep x,y, and z" is.

Purist is viable all the way up to and including Vicious as long as you choose a reasonable class/race combo. I'd say the only dungeon where purist requires outrageous amounts of luck is VGT.
Sidestepper

Postby Bloggorus on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:59 am

People who like to play puzzle games will probably always want the flatter structure of the alpha. Success there was all about skill; if you were good enough to you could do anything right off the bat.

The beta is definitely a 'taller' structure, as in you need to build up resources outside of the dungeons to beat them. Maybe some of the freaky vets on these forums could beat everything purist but there's no way a regular mortal like me could do it. I still struggle with purist Normal sometimes.

I think the game has gone in a more progressive RPG direction and away from roguelikes, which will probably appeal to a wider audience.

The problem is that vets are past the point of enjoying these progression mechanics, they've unlocked everything. So their enjoyment from the game comes out of what they can do with the system, which is closer to the alpha version which focused on completion over lofty quest goals.
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:08 am

Very true. Once you have everything you just set meaningless challenges to have fun! That and mess around with cool/unusual/OP combos. Heck, speaking of the alpha, I even o play it if I can't think of something to do in the beta...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Bloggorus on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:16 am

I think this is the reason there was such a hoo-ha about infinite lockers in endgame. Vets want a return to alpha-style sandbox gameplay because they have such unusual goals (that also happen to cost them a lot of gold in retries and scumming).

I still think the devs will put something like this in in the last minute, but not until they have nailed the progression up until then. There's no point doing something to the end of the game if the start is unfinished.
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:34 am

I hope so. I'd love a sandbox mode, but I'm not so sure they'll add it.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Bloggorus on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:11 am

The impression i got from the discussion a while back is that the devs are aware of the issue, but have chosen to focus their attention on the tutorial and early missions, as well as the final polish. Kind of makes sense, seeing as they have been promising a codex and kingdom overhaul for two years.

I don't think it would be that hard to implement sandbox features for end game. Thats probably the reason people were frustrated, because it seemed like an easy fix to a veteran problem. It's not that they refused to do it, just that they had bigger fish to fry.

I think it will happen, it's just not as high on the devs priority list as some players would like.
Bloggorus

Postby Lujo on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:21 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons