Blacksmith evolution

All things Desktop Dungeons

Blacksmith evolution

Postby Bloggorus on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:06 am

The blacksmith items are a fantastic boost to the early game, but I find myself use the preservation badge almost exclusively, followed by the mace when the need arises.

I used the sword and shield heaps when i had few preps, but now they sit quite useless. Their size, especially in comparison to the pres badge, makes them hard to stomach taking into battle.

Can there be late game option to improve these preps into small items?

This would make them a little more viable in late game after they have served their (very valuable) purpose early on.
Bloggorus

Re: Blacksmith evolution

Postby The Avatar on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:58 am

Agreed. Preservation badge is so much better, so except for exceptions were you want the bear mace or RBS it is by far the best.

10% is more valuable than 2 DR and 2 Base Attack, and the item is small.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: Blacksmith evolution

Postby Lujo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 pm

The sword and the shield have their uses as transmutation fodder that doesn't need relockering. They overlap in this regard, however. RBS has become a staple of my routine and I prep it for a lark often (and convert once I check the bosses / deal with problem ones). Knockback mace is knocback mace. It gives you knocback. You can go places with a 25% damage boost, not to mention the hilarity of finding another one in the bricked up blackmith stash. I find the wand rather nice - cheap to prep, easy to ditch, clears passageways and gets you clutch resourceless boss fight lvlups.

The badge is great, bit it's a mathematicians item. Guys I'd prep it for are ussually better served with the mace, unless inventory management is key to victory, but if that's the case I go with the easily disposable wand more often.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Return to Desktop Dungeons