What about Stone Sigil?

All things Desktop Dungeons

What about Stone Sigil?

Postby Waldo0 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:35 pm

If I should choose my the most unpopular item, I would choose the Stone Sigil.

Stone Sigil(18gold/30CP) : Gain +1 Piety whenever you kill an XP-valuable monster; small item

It is not bad theoretical and It would be great in the Tower of Gaan-Telet(Especially, in Vicious Tower of Gaan-Telet),

but I always don't buy it.

I want to heard you guys' strategies or customer reviews about this item.
*F+Click* "WTF? Oh.. the monster had a 'Retaliate: Fireball'...." -2012 Waldo0
"I cleared this game!!!" -2013 Waldo0
Waldo0

Re: What about Stone Sigil?

Postby Darvin on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:48 pm

I actually quite like it. It's great for misers like Dracul, Jehora Jeheyu or Glowing Guardian. It's also pretty decent for Mystera and Binlor if you get stuck with them in the late game, since piety generation can be tough with them later on. It can also be useful with Pactmaker if you can't find anyone to worship.

It's not so great with Taurog or Tikki Tooki, since they already give great piety on kills. For those who don't give piety on kills (or who need every drip of piety they can get - looking at you JJ), though, this item is actually quite useful. Not top-notch, but one I'm usually glad to find. Certainly not nearly as bad as the venom dagger.
Darvin

Postby sitnaltax on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:21 am

It's one of my least favorite items. (Still far better than the now-departed Gardening Shears.) The item is expensive and doesn't help you gain any leverage at early levels; the piety gain is modest and awkwardly timed. By contrast, the Agnostic's Collar is not an item that I always buy, but when I do it's a huge help.
sitnaltax

Postby Lujo on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:33 am

I do pick it up. I sort of always thought 18 gold was too much for the effect, but anything that messes with piety gain is quite strong due to being flexible. I think it was ment to help with pactmaker mainly. If I overthink it a little, maybe the problem is that in the scenarios where you can easily harvest piety with it (sub vicious dungeons) you don't really need it, and in the scenarious where you want to play tight - you can't really go killing monsters left and right.

It is, IMO far overshadowed by the crumbling ward. That's an identical looking subdungeon item (found in the south) which you can locker. It converts (or can be used for) gaining +15 piety on the spot. Maybe swap those two around, make the crumbling ward effect what you unlock with priests, and the other one what you find in a subdungeon?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:46 pm

That does sound like a better item. Piety and conversion points on the spot is great, and the timing is irrelevant.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Fri May 03, 2013 4:08 pm

Possible idea for the Stone Sigil to give it a slight buff: have it increase your max piety by 10. There are a wide variety of deities with a tendency to overshoot the cap (GG, JJ, EM, Taurog, arguably Binlor) and it would synergize nicely with Pactmaker.
Darvin

Postby Waldo0 on Fri May 03, 2013 7:46 pm

Thanks guys, I'll try to use Stone Sigil more.
*F+Click* "WTF? Oh.. the monster had a 'Retaliate: Fireball'...." -2012 Waldo0
"I cleared this game!!!" -2013 Waldo0
Waldo0

Return to Desktop Dungeons