How do you unlock the Tinker?

All things Desktop Dungeons

How do you unlock the Tinker?

Postby fawkeshawk on Tue May 07, 2013 3:26 am

I feel very silly asking this because I can't find anyone else who has ever asked it! I have unlocked every other class, or have access to their quest for the monster classes, and I just can't for the life of me find the Tinker. Help?
fawkeshawk

Re: How do you unlock the Tinker?

Postby Lujo on Tue May 07, 2013 3:00 pm

This IS strange. Have you never ran into his subdungeon? He used to be in a secret walled off subdungeon which you can acess by destroying a wall tile sorruonding it's entrance.

If you have the Transmuter unlocked, I suppose entering a map and using LEMISI to uncover everything should reveal it. Just make sure it's a map that spawns secret subdungeons (maybe Venture Cave works, otherwise try... I'm not sure, Northern Desert?)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Tue May 07, 2013 8:00 pm

He does have a point. It is a bit out of the way. A new player who has never seen secret sub dungeons (the tinker unlocks them) could miss the unlock. It depends on the area. They should program the subdungeon so only 1 wall is between it and the player (so you can see that it is there), because you'd never realize its existence if it is surrounded by two layers of walls.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Tue May 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Well, it would mean he also doesn't have Binlor unlocked. Either that, or the Tinker secret subdungeon stops spawning at some point if you don't unlock it on time, but I highly doubt that...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Tue May 07, 2013 9:26 pm

True, I wasn't factoring in Binlor. Still, if you don't really use Binlor much it's missable.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby fawkeshawk on Wed May 08, 2013 4:51 am

Ah ha! I actually had no idea sub dungeons could hide in inaccessible areas. I must admit that I rarely if ever use Binlor, Endiswal, or Lemmisi. If I did I probably would have found the Tinker by now. I'll be sure to visit some of the earlier dungeons to see if I can get the tinker subdungeon to spawn. Thank you for the help!
fawkeshawk

Postby Sidestepper on Wed May 08, 2013 6:49 am

The best place to go hunting is Venture Cave. It's an open area without too much deep stone, and the monsters are weak enough that you can just click your way through while looking for the dungeon.
Sidestepper

Return to Desktop Dungeons