[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Persistent elements

Persistent elements

Talk to QCF .. we love to hear from you

Persistent elements

Postby Waterd103 on Tue May 07, 2013 12:20 pm

Ive been playing the alpha version of the game on recommendation. I loved the idea, except for a fatal flaw. Persistent elements. In the alpha version there is only one though, Gold, But i hear more are comming. However even if it's one, gold, to me is a fatal flaw. I like my games to be self contained runs.

In a minor flaw I also hate unlockables and would like an option to unlock everything from the start. However, this one is not a big deal, since at least when i unlock everthing i can finally play the full game. But persistent elements are going to be there forever.
I would like a mode with ZERO persistent elements. At least in my particular case that is going to be the difference between becoming a regular playing and not playing ever again.
Waterd103

Re: Persistent elements

Postby dislekcia on Tue May 07, 2013 1:45 pm

We completely re-engineered the way gold works across runs in the beta. The way people were farming up in order to have their max gold amount before trying a "serious" run was rather annoying. In the beta you have an amount of Kingdom gold, but only a specific amount enters the dungeon with you each time, depending on the level of your bank. Shop item costs have been extensively re-balanced in order to make this approach work...

I think you'd probably feel worse about unlocks in the game, seeing as DD is full of those now. Unlock classes, races, preparations, gods, items, quests and dungeons. I can understand that you may dislike unlocks, but the way we've designed DD, they drive a lot of progression and tone the skill-curve down to something slightly more manageable (so players aren't bombarded with a billion things to learn right from the word go).

We feel it's more fun that way. You'd have to ask current beta players what they think about that... ;)
dislekcia

Postby Waterd103 on Wed May 08, 2013 5:03 am

In any case unlocks are a minor bug, however the persistent elements are critical. I do not seem to understand if you did remove the persistent elements or not, since i don´t know what kingdom gold is at all.

About the unlocks, that is not a deal breaker to me, however maybe i´m too old but i´m suffering the ¨current¨ era of game design where everything is unlockable. Before you didn´t need to unlock the full game i could play tetris, minesweeper, starcraft or counterstrike at full without having to unlock anything, now everthing is locked in everygame and is really driving me nuts.

I hope at least this game have a mode where there are exactly 0 persistent elements once everthing is unlocked.
Waterd103

Postby keithburgun on Wed May 08, 2013 5:23 am

I agree strongly with waterd; persistent elements that increase the player's power over the course of his career are a very bad idea. This means that the game is effectively becoming EASIER, despite the fact that the player's skill has increased. Why would you *want* this to be the case? This is one of those things that really hurts the longevity of videogames in general, IMO.
keithburgun

Postby dislekcia on Wed May 08, 2013 12:43 pm

dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Wed May 08, 2013 1:03 pm

Yep, they worked out pretty genious ways to make the game harder as you progress. One of the ways to speedrun roflstomp stuff at various points of development was to keep your unlocks to a minimum to keep the game in the state of player biased handicap for as long as possible. And "veto" slots were introduced which reduce the number of item unlocks. You wouldn't believe how much effort went into testing all this, let alone designing it. And as for designing it - the ammount of times you'll go "WTF you got to be kidding me, you can't expect me to possibly do this!" and then later get better or figure something you've been missing out and beat something impossible is unbelievable. Game's deep, man.

Just try it :)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Waterd103 on Wed May 08, 2013 3:33 pm

I can't just "try it" one i have to pay, second and the real issue (not that 10 bucks are really an issue, however are if im gonna hate the game)I don't care about "campaign" mode. I care about whatever is the "normal" mode (if the only mode in campaign then there is no game for me in first place). And it seems to have access to the normal mode i need to spend hours and hours unlocking stuff. So i can't "just try it"
I did try the alpha game though and outside of the Gold system, it seems Excellent. But ti seems the new game is just almost a different game completly, hard to know at this point because i didn't play it.

(btw what i mean with normal mode is the mode that you are supposed to play in regular runs, like the one that is balanced around you trying to play again forever like rougelikes in general are)
Waterd103

Postby dislekcia on Wed May 08, 2013 4:47 pm

dislekcia

Postby keithburgun on Wed May 08, 2013 5:07 pm

keithburgun

Postby berpdreyfuss on Wed May 08, 2013 5:35 pm

The ROFLstomping only applies to the early dungeons which are easier. If you go there fully prepped it's more like playing the beginning of Zelda with all the heartcontainers.
There is a difficulty curve and in my opinion it is very good. The vets will ROFLstomp easy or even hard dungeons without preps. Because they learned about the mechanics of the game. And there is a lot to learn which a beginner just can't know right away, so it makes sense for the easy dungeons to be there.
Your last sentence describes where I am right now with the vicious dungeons, I go in fully prepped and still struggle very much. For others it might be the vicious vicious dungeons.
berpdreyfuss

Next

Return to General Discussion