Most misliked monster?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Most misliked monster?

Postby Naoya on Sun May 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Just a little thing I'm doing out of curiosity. So, which mob do you like to face the least?

For me, its zombies. I hate those guys. High health, high damage, and an immunity to poison means there is no easy way to approach them, neither physical nor magical.
I usually don't even bother with higher level ones; they may be still weaker than bosses, but not by much, and they're naturally less rewarding.
They do make good IMAWAL-fodder though....
Naoya

Re: Most misliked monster?

Postby Lujo on Sun May 12, 2013 6:19 pm

Well, ever since Animated Armors got properly nerfed, and since retaliate fireball changed to make illusions less of a joke monster I think most people would agree with the zombie. They're just no-downside roadblocks.

As far as basic bossess go, I somehow dislike the Dragon boss the most. Chances of me walking around runs where I can run into him with enough magic resistance are kind of low and he's fat enough. With Frank it's like - oh, he's a zombie, well, they're annoying and he's annoying in the same exact way. The dragon boss is disproportionally annoying compared to the regular ones, or somehow seems to be...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby sitnaltax on Sun May 12, 2013 7:30 pm

Zombies, yeah. Steel golems, if the curses are a problem. What was the change to illusions? I never fight them unless I can one-shot them.

The goat boss is way less of a game-ruiner than it was in alpha; there tend to be plenty of ways to deal with the attack, which I like.
sitnaltax

Postby Lujo on Sun May 12, 2013 8:28 pm

The goat boss used to be dreaded, it was toned down a bit (and it generally took as forever as a community to figure out effective combo's against him - the ones you can pick up on the fly, they were mostly there all along though).

Rataliate fireball only hit's you for half damage, used to be full damage. I burn them down occasinaly these days, and there is ofc the VGT Illusion mini-boss which you have to kill to advance.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Sun May 12, 2013 9:16 pm

I hate anything with corrosion. The fact that they block my path even after I kill them is super annoying. As for the worst basic enemy I'd agree with zombie. Zombies and dragonspawn have the same stats, but undead is far worse than magic attack. The worst boss for me definately depends on situation, but unless I find it really late (in which case it's SMM), I hate Frank. The worst vicious form of a basic boss either Aequitas, because a level 10 can't take a shot without some bonus, or SMM because the hp is absolutely ridiculous.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sun May 12, 2013 9:26 pm

Since when do zombies and dragonspawn have the same stats? Wiki sayes dragonspawn have 125% health, and zombies 150%. They do the same ammount of damage though. And wiki might be outdated, ofc :D

Btw, I think the number of times I've meleed anything with weakening (in a way which would assume I get hit back) apart from bosses is really really low.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear god, I hate these guys so hard I actually avoid thinking about them unless I have to look at them - shades! Anything with blink and lifesteal is just mean. This is the monster I mislike the most by far.

For sheer annoyance, the cultists which revive into zombies are second, with zombies third.
Lujo

Postby Naoya on Sun May 12, 2013 10:23 pm

Ugh. Shades. Annoyingly aggrevating. Burn Vipers are the same for me. They look so easy to kill... if it weren't for them blinking into nowhere and giving you mana burn. Then again, running into 5 shades at once ....
Goo Blobs are usually ok, unless I'm cleaning up popcorn. I hate them solely for being bad popcorn material.

Boss-wise frank is probably the most annoying, but SMM will always hold that special place for me.
I'm well capable of beating him, but I still tend to go "ARGH" when I encounter him. The bane of all my Alpha-runs... *shudders*
Naoya

Postby gjaustin on Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 pm

I hate anything with First Strike.

Especially First Strike and something like Weakening or Corrosion.
gjaustin

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Tue May 14, 2013 12:57 am

Interesting, I haven't had that much trouble with the zombros yet. On my farthest in save I haven't tried any of the "hard" level dungeons yet though so perhaps I am missing something.

Honestly my most anoying monster has greatly depended on what class I am playing so far. Goblins seem to be a problem right now when I am a barbarian, and anything with poison (just snakes for me right now) is a continuing problem unless I have first strike
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby The Avatar on Tue May 14, 2013 2:25 am

Everyone's least favorite monster depends on class. This was more general.

@gjaustin: Is there anything with first strike and weakening or corrosion.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons