[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Mon May 13, 2013 11:45 pm

I just posted a video review of Desktop Dungeons on my youtube channel, and I am starting a let's play that will last throughout the beta. I hope for daily uploads so if you are interested check it out :)
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Re: Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

Postby dislekcia on Tue May 14, 2013 1:01 am

I think it might be a little weird how much I enjoy watching people play DD... Thanks for the nice review!

Also, that replacement crash is fixed this side, it'll be part of the new release on friday. Sorry about that.
dislekcia

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Tue May 14, 2013 1:29 am

It never caused me a big problem. I think it is normal to have bugs in a beta yeah? I actually wanted to show off how well the game crashes were handled with almost zero loss of progress and time.
Unfortunately I didn't have the gold lol
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Darvin on Tue May 14, 2013 4:16 am

Couple remarks:

The berserker isn't as bad with spells as he first appears. Spells that you cast during fights (like fireball) are ill-suited to him, but stuff that you cast between fights work very well for him. WONAFYT and PISORF are particularly nice, since they allow you to unclog the hallways (by moving monsters around) so you don't have to kill them to get past.

Ying and Yang don't need to be killed in one hit. You just need to ensure you kill them with two consecutive attacks (meaning if you damage both of them and then finish them sequentially, you've got them down).

One good strategy with bosses is to start fighting just before you level-up. Kill a weaker monster in battle, and then get a full heal and mana restore to boost you up.

If you like your "direct-attack" type characters, then the Monk is probably a good one for you.
Darvin

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Tue May 14, 2013 5:26 am

wow thanks for the advice Darvin.

I haven't actually gotten to playing any of the harder dungeons and since I am restarting for the let's play it will be awhile before I do. But, I feel like I am going to need a lot of advice from vets like you if I am going to make it through the tougher parts. The normal dungeons already give me quite a hard time typically. I was actually lucky to win during my review.

BTW that boss strategy is something I would never have come up with.

And thanks for the suggestion on the monk. I haven't tried him out yet, but he will be the first class I unlock on my new save, I love trying out new things :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Lujo on Tue May 14, 2013 8:31 am

Two glyphs that have been really good on a berserker for me were CYDSTEP and GETINDARE. Sounds strange, I know, because CYDSTEP costs a whooping 12 mana - but it's a free hit on a hard hitting, upwards fighting guy. Which you "refresh" before you explore. GETINDARE works pretty much the same way except you cast it in the middle of a fight.

If you find both (and 2 mana boosters), precast cydstep, esxplore, find something to fight, hit once or twice (untill you expend the death protection) and first strike FTW. Fun times.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Tue May 14, 2013 3:34 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue May 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Besides, I've always thought of CYDSTEPP as the worse version of GETINDARE. Well, enough on that.

Yeah, the three main keys to winning are getting as much bonus exp as possible, saving as much exploration as possible, and saving as much popcorn as possible. The key to winning is balancing these 3 points to best suit your strategy (i.e. should you explore to find a higher level monster for bonus exp or waste popcorn and potential bonus exp to save exploration).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Tue May 14, 2013 8:22 pm

That's a completely true and right way to look at things, and yet I got this weird urge to say I don't really look at it that way. Allthough I probably should.

Because there is always 2 more things to work on a more advanced level - cheeze (leveraging really particular stuff to create a sort of ridiculous advantage), and critical mass (using gold, piety, potions, and anything not nailed down to gain a sort of ridiculous advantage). I'm not a huge fan of traditional cheeze, but I love me critical mass as long as it's not the old trisword.

Which is to say I'm, for example, more prone to focus on my piety, gold and CP management then XP. XP's the most powerfull, to be sure, but cheeze + critical mass is can do really weird things - lvl1 boss kills among other things.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Tue May 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons