Vicious GT Tips

All things Desktop Dungeons

Vicious GT Tips

Postby Bloggorus on Thu May 16, 2013 3:07 am

Hi guys,

Searches for vicious anything turn up too many results so i figured I'd ask directly.

Is there an ironclad strategy any more for VGT? Call me simple but i can't seem to get past the first few floors.

Should I be stacking resists? Cydstepping? Scumming for poison and manaburn wards? Using an orc rogue? Elven wizard? Using the RBS?

What have people found the easiest so far?
Bloggorus

Re: Vicious GT Tips

Postby The Avatar on Thu May 16, 2013 3:36 am

Well, I'm not the resident VGT expert, but resist stacking is always good. Go for the monk if you want a basic win. Also, always save martyr wraps or BYCEPS for the bossif you can. The payoff is HUGE.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Thu May 16, 2013 7:55 am

Hmmm, I had a VGT clearing binge with the more obscure stuff a while back. Resist stacking, either getindare or RBS, big damage guys can use the ocasional cydstep. Drac endgame. Expert GG use (prepped or scummed for) can get you through places. Prep burn salve and fortitude always with the illusion, golden statue and EM desecration as milestones (golden statue being the biggest one). Save popcorn for curse clearing and if possible - bloodswells. My Rogue did it parched (used plenty of cydstep) and my Monk did it warmonger.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Fri May 17, 2013 1:42 am

Vampire is probably the easiest. Recommended preps:

Dragon Shield
Patches
Compression Seal
Extra Attack
Really Big Sword or Badge

I recommend the RBS version. There's no longer any pressure to find GETINDERE or BYCEPS, and the slow floor effect just bounces off of you. Your life steal is based on damage actually dealt, so resistance piercing ends up being much more important than normal.

EDIT: Got my wires crossed and included two locker items :oops: Fixed.

The most important thing to find on the ground floor are suitable high level monsters to use as a blood bank. Meatmen are ideal, dragons are tolerable, goo blobs are mediocre because their resistence cuts into your life steal, everything else is either a bloodlesss zombie or is too fragile to last until the end.

HALPMEH is not needed , but is tremendously useful. You probably need either HALPMEH or a good pair of blood cattle to win consistently.
Last edited by Sidestepper on Fri May 17, 2013 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sidestepper

Postby Bloggorus on Fri May 17, 2013 1:53 am

Thanks guys, I'll see how I go with vampire.

My best run so far has been with a crusader due to the resistances. Extra altar helps with scumming, which i hate and cannot afford.
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Fri May 17, 2013 2:01 am

GETINDARE is incredible too. It's great for everyone, but is almost better than HALPMEH for the vamp.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Fri May 17, 2013 3:49 am

Another low scum/high win combination is a conversion heavy Wizard. Human and Orc both work (I prefer Human myself). Your glyphs are small, easily found, can be drained of CP without being lost, and you get an extra one. Bring junk items with low opportunity costs (shop scroll, patches) to help kickstart the glyph draining process. Ditch Patches the first time you starts to cause you trouble, while praying for a few hits of resistance from him. Your damage will clock in at around 120 or more, and you'll have a ton of easily castable glyphs, and you'll have resistances from the Shield, boons, the scroll, and maybe Patches. You'll have an answer to everything.

Gods are important for non-vamps. The most consistent way to play is to prep GG and just ride him for the piety. Don't take Absolution, it's not worth it unless you're a Rogue, but do take Humility. When you hit 100 piety, take Enlightenment for the mana, and then ride the train until you hit 100 again. You're going to have some overflow, so don't hesitate to use the occasional potion if you need to. Where you go from there depends on the situation, but most people want to visit Taurog for the Armor and MAYBE the Helm, Tikki Tooki for Dodge and MAYBE a dose of Poison, and Dracul for everything. Don't get greedy with Taurog and Tikki Tooki. It costs popcorn to escape from them, and you do want to escape. You will need that popcorn later when you are leaning on Bloodswell at the very end.

If you have never completed VGT before, I recommend prepping Extra Altar and scumming for GG. You effectively get two chances, since he can appear on the ground floor and the first floor. The extra piety makes things more comfortable and might help correct for any mistakes you make.
Sidestepper

Postby q 3 on Fri May 17, 2013 8:02 pm

If you're going with the Vampire, note that the Wicked Guitar is immensely powerful in VGT. Using it at the appropriate time on the surface level will result in (1) blood cows with more blood, (2) more blood cows that you can drain without killing, and most importantly (3) blood cows that regenerate even faster.
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Fri May 24, 2013 3:17 am

I'm bouncing this back up because I've been rocking out in VGT lately (9 classes done already, most in one or two tries!), but what really made me want to is that I had almost a perfect run. I think this might be the easiest possible version. It is simply a human paladin who uses GG and Body Pact. I found Pactmaker on floor one and proceeded to roflstomp the place. I had maxed physical resist by floor 3 and maxed magic resist by floor 6. I bought nothing except a platemail for Horratio and got feeling parched. No BICEPS either, only HALPMEH and occasionally BURNDAYRAZ.

The Avatar

Return to Desktop Dungeons