[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Suggestion: rotating 'bonus'

Suggestion: rotating 'bonus'

All things Desktop Dungeons

Suggestion: rotating 'bonus'

Postby arrenfrank on Thu May 16, 2013 6:21 am

RE: the rotating 'bonus' (flame-highlighted dungeon which offers 3X price for the boss trophy).

In my opinion, once a player has reached "103%" completion on a given dungeon, that dungeon should be taken out of the rotation. The 3X incentive should not, in my opinion, encourage the player to return to a dungeon that they've already conquered.
arrenfrank

Re: Suggestion: rotating 'bonus'

Postby dislekcia on Thu May 16, 2013 10:19 am

The PQI (Perpetual Questing Initiative) behaves that way and provides an even larger bonus. The flaming dungeon is more like a random "This dungeon's a little better than others right now!" sort of feeling. I'm assuming that you've hit the PQI already, given that 103% requires the vicious token. Did the existence of the other type of quest not make a difference?
dislekcia

Postby Darvin on Thu May 16, 2013 3:35 pm

In practice, the flaming dungeon almost always gives better returns than PQI. The return is somewhat lower, but the amount of time/difficult is significantly lower. Unless the PQI happens to be an easy one, anyone gold farming will always go for the flaming dungeon.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu May 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Yeah, I've been doing flaming dungeons. If PQI's were 800 or something I'd do them.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby sitnaltax on Thu May 16, 2013 4:57 pm

At this point I do PQI for a serious challenge (since I am getting only vicious dungeons now), working on vicious completion for a tamer challenge, and flaming dungeon to kill time or to break a string of failures.
sitnaltax

Postby Lujo on Thu May 16, 2013 7:45 pm

Yeah, I used the flaming dungeons to bounce around during the completion. Tbh, the reason I'm on a break from playing at all right now is because the flaming run is stuck somewhere where I have full completion and don't feel like playing, and I only picked PQI when it was really interesting.

Plus, flaming + bet on boss is always superior and always takes less time and effort. For easier dungeons even flamig + bet on boss + vicious token is more straightforward than your average PQI, gives you more freedom in how you want to tackle somethign unpleasant and as waldo pointed out it's pretty much the only way to reach the final locker/veto slots in a reasonable timeframe.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby arrenfrank on Sat May 18, 2013 5:39 pm

As usual, the forum vets have hit on most everything that could be said in reply, dislekcia. (Though my play is at a much more pedestrian level.)

Personally, the chief reason I'm not into PQI is the random badge requirement. Again, I'm a mediocre player, and I don't usually enjoy playing for badges (with a few exceptions).

Great work on the interface refinements. The flaming bonus is a thoroughly minor issue, but I still feel it would be a better feature if it didn't include "103%"-complete dungeons.
arrenfrank

Postby Lujo on Sat May 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Sun May 19, 2013 4:20 am

Then you might want to raise the value for flaming just a little. Otherwise I'd just do PQI.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sun May 19, 2013 10:24 am

Lujo

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons