Humans (LV1)

All things Desktop Dungeons

Humans (LV1)

Postby squirrelnest on Fri May 24, 2013 11:00 pm

All of the race buildings have a level, but I don't think they level up at any point. Was there originally going to be a progression for them?
squirrelnest

Re: Humans (LV1)

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Sat May 25, 2013 1:23 am

it would be interesting wouldn't it?
A lvled race could perhaps offer a variant on the same ability
for instance a dwarf type that added to physical resistance instead of hp?

IDK I haven't done late game strategy so I can't say what is balanced.
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby The Avatar on Sat May 25, 2013 3:34 am

Phys resist conversion would be soooooo broken, unless it was so small it was meaningless. Resistance is one of the few totally cheap things in the game and is/can be totally OP. Still, I like the races as they are, and higher levels would require a slew of new artwork.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Sat May 25, 2013 3:41 am

i have no problem with a slew of new artwork ;p
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby ChasGB on Sat May 25, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm trying to think but at this point in the game I don't really see how they could implement racial leveling without upsetting balance so badly that the game's formal release would be delayed by half a year or more. Might be fun to see post-launch though. The question is what's more broken/OP for increased race levels: increasing the conversion bonus or lowering the threshold?

I can't wait til launch, I'm sitting here in an airport looking at my phone and hating it for not being able to play DD on it!
ChasGB

Postby Kingdom of One on Sat May 25, 2013 4:34 pm

You could implement race levelling without changing the balance too much by starting with 10 higher conversion threshold and lowering by 5 each level up until level 3 where it will be back to the current levels.

This way the majority of the gameplay remains unchanged. I'm imagining that you could get to level 3 just playing through some of the easier dungeons with the race if you wanted to.

But yeah, if there are no plans to have increasing levels then the level indicator should go.
Kingdom of One

Postby Raz on Sat May 25, 2013 5:24 pm

I believe the way it was originally explained, the level indicator is just a 0 for off (race not unlocked) or a 1 for on (race unlocked), and they would be removed before release.
Raz

Return to Desktop Dungeons