Priest Silver

All things Desktop Dungeons

Priest Silver

Postby TheSchachter on Wed May 29, 2013 2:07 am

Yet another topic about the challenges, since I've been focusing more on these recently. Earlier today I beat Priest Silver, but I really feel like it was more down to luck rather than skill; I was playing a Halfling and found the Trisword and a Keg o' Health(!), along with finding Weytwut early. My next try was going to be Orc, but an earlier attempt made me feel as though I wouldn't outlast the boss as anything other than Halfling... I have to say, I found it much more difficult than the other Silver challenges, with the possible exception of Bloodmage Silver (which I really liked). That being said, on Bloodmage Silver, when I won I actually felt like I'd "gotten" it, whereas in Priest Silver's case I just felt lucky.

Part of the difficulty I find with this particular dungeon (though it feels like it applies to a lot of them) is how cramped the map feel. In a few instances I gave up shortly after starting it because it felt kind of unfair (locked in by tough monsters, no glyphs found for a while due to being blocked off by monsters). I don't know the stats for the monsters but they felt like they were as strong as Vicious level monsters. Regardless, from what I can see you start off unable to kill level 2 Zombies (let alone anything else) without Getindare/Weytwut, which I found to be the only two really reliable glyphs (especially along with Cydstep, which is perfect for Potion spiking). ItemsA lot of the runs felt a bit pointless, which is unusual for this game. All in all, I don't think I'd have gotten it without the two lucky buys I got in my winning run, which left me with one Health Potion leftover and all glyphs except Weytwut converted (so I couldn't have done it without the keg in that particular run).

So, I'm wondering what everyone else thought about this challenge, since I haven't seen it discussed much (I checked Lujo's class challenges writeup, and he mentions it's probably a bit too difficult, but not much else). Am I missing a blatantly obvious strategy for this one? I prepped Whupaz (don't think the boss is manageable without it), the Strenght potion for an early high-level kill, and replaced the standard mana potion with a Reflex which I ended up keeping for the boss. I also prepped Bezar's Elite Items specifically in hopes of the Keg or of Yendor (found Zot once, but the boss does so much damage that by the time I could take advantage of it it barely made any difference and I ended up dead.

So, yeah. Thoughts? (other than TL; DR :P)
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Re: Priest Silver

Postby Waldo0 on Thu May 30, 2013 10:55 pm

I cleared it with orc now.

Used Whupaz at lv8 just before leveling up, then his Hp was 1665.

The lvl9 priest damage was 140~160(undead) per hit, so I should hit 10~12.

Full health = 1hit
Quick Silver + Reflex = 3hit
7 Health potion = 7 hit
One more Health potion in Potion shop = 1hit
also you can use items or glyph = normally 1~2 extra hit

So, If orc priest can level up to 9 without Health potion or just using 1~3 Health potions.

Orc priest can clear it. :)
*F+Click* "WTF? Oh.. the monster had a 'Retaliate: Fireball'...." -2012 Waldo0
"I cleared this game!!!" -2013 Waldo0
Waldo0

Postby booooooze on Fri May 31, 2013 10:33 am

I just redid it a few times. Lost a few, won a few. Halflings only needed to get to lvl 7 to endure the boss, nothing special. I take a dodge in place of your strength potion.

From what I saw in the shops, it seemed to (generally) favor high conversion items (more than 2x gold cost), which is nice. Didn't get anything special in the runs I won (trisword would have been lovely).

Fireballs are all you need to beat a lvl 2 zombie when you're 1. You can definitely regen fight them. LEMMISI always spawns, I got APHEELSIK frequently as well, which is pretty helpful. All glyphs are useful.
booooooze

Postby The Avatar on Fri May 31, 2013 4:04 pm

It is one of the more difficult silvers (and usually requires whupaz, at least for new players), but I think it's fine.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Return to Desktop Dungeons