[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Beginner Bronze Challenges

Beginner Bronze Challenges

All things Desktop Dungeons

Beginner Bronze Challenges

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:27 pm

I have completed all four of the beginning class bronze challenges and would like to do a kind of post mortem on my experiences with them. They will likely all be posted on my channel either today or tomorrow.
The focus of this write-up will be on what I learned (or felt I was meant to learn) by doing the challenge, and not a focus on the fun factor (I had fun with all of them)

Fighter Bronze: Despite my breezy videoed run through this is actually the first challenge I did, and I did it before I reviewed the game. I lost the first time because I killed everything as I saw it.
I think this challenge is actually a rather genius was of teaching about bonus experience. It is definitely where I learned that I should be killing things at least at my level and hopefully above my level and letting the rest live. A very valuable lesson, and I promise I would have had a much steeper learning curve to deal with if not for doing this challenge early.

I think it was using a bunch of lvl 1 goats that taught the lesson, because on my winning run through my thoughts were "okay just don't kill all the goats right off and you'll be fine"

Wizard Bronze: To anyone who watches me play the difference in before and after I did this challenge should be very obvious. This is the run that taught me all about the value of glyphs, and it did a great job of doing so. Before I did this run I undervalued them and actually put a very high value on the amount of conversion they give you over how much help they are.
It was this challenge that changed that.

Priest Bronze: I played quite awhile before doing this, but it still taught a valuable lesson: pay attention to enemy abilities. I believe it was also supposed to teach potion management, and how valuable potions are to priests, but I already understand this I think. The real lesson that came through was read what abilities enemies have, or it might just kill you. Also it taught me that the writer(s) are evil dead fans :)

Thief Bronze: My last challenge, and the most novel. Unfortunately also my least favorite. I believe it is meant to teach you the value of first strike, and also paying attention to class abilities. And it does that, unfortunately it teaches something else as well that I am pretty sure is not true. . .it teaches that WEYTWUT get's rid of enemy first strike. I am pretty sure it does not in fact do this except on this dungeon. (I could me wrong) As a result of knowing this I would not have figured out the solution at all if the game hadn't basically told it to me as I unlocked WEYTWUT. However if I had been a new player it would have lead me to believe that was a normal function of the glyph and quite possibly destroyed a future run or two.

That is it, overall I feel that the challenges are great learning experiences, but perhaps the thief challenge needs tweaking.

*edit The thief challenge is great I am just to pigheaded to learn things as they are taught to me :p WEYTWUT does infact get past first strike
Last edited by JayPlaysIndieGames on Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Re: Beginner Bronze Challenges

Postby The Avatar on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Uh... WEYTWUT does remove enemy first strike. That is one of the 3 abilities of slowed (remove first strike, counter: fireball, blink and cowardly; grants 1 bonus exp; and let's the player strike first). I actually love thief bronze. It may not be great for teaching, but boy is it fun. I can't wait till you see thief silver! That one is rather... strange, but it is a good teaching tool.

Wait, why aren't those runs posted?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:47 pm

Then I stand corrected and I have learned something new and awesome :)
they aren't posted because saving them takes time and I haven't gotten around to it yet. They should be up by tomorrow night :)
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Sidestepper on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:33 pm

Sidestepper

Return to Desktop Dungeons