[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Shopping

Shopping

All things Desktop Dungeons

Shopping

Postby q 3 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:48 am

If you lose (or delete) a locker item, other than the various boss drops, the only way to retrieve it at the moment is to buy another one in a dungeon - which typically means going into one of the easy or normal dungeons with the bank preparation and maybe also the scout shop preparation and hoping you find what you're looking for (and enough extra gold to afford it, for some of the more expensive items). Seeing as one of the reasons for the new gold system is to reduce grinding, shouldn't there be an easier way to replace mundane items? I'm thinking of something like the ability to buy locker items directly from the kingdom (only items that normally appear in shops), or an upgrade to the Bazaar that adds the shop items directly. That would also have the benefit of freeing up increasingly scarce locker space for all of the rare items that are being added.
q 3

Re: Shopping

Postby Darvin on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:26 am

Indeed; I'm currently lockering Pendent of Health as my generic fallback preparation item. Seems like a waste of precious locker space, but as a general utility item it gets the most use out of any lockered item. I'd love to get rid of some of these, particularly since several are really only suitable for one or two classes.
Darvin

Postby bla0815 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:11 am

Or make the item quests reappear if the item isn't in the locker for a while. This still could qualify as grind, but it is much better than running repeatedly through dungeons until you find your item. Also i wouldn't mind to revisit some of the quests (clicked too fast for some of the boss texts for example) without creating a new profile anyways.
bla0815

Postby Darvin on Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:02 pm

I still think that qualifies as too much grind. For experts, that means 1-2 attempts on a fairly difficult scenario. For less-skilled players, that could mean dozens of attempts of frustration to get their item back.

The current locker system is the biggest grind-factor in the current game. The game's difficulty is now essentially balanced on the presumption you have kick-ass items in the locker, but replacing them if they're lost takes significantly longer than filling that enormous 160 gold purse in alpha.
Darvin

Postby Deadman on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:59 am

Thing is, they're not easy to lose, you only lose them if you convert or consume them.
Deadman

Postby Wargizmo on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm

Personally I would be happy with just more locker space. Since we already unlocked the items I don't see why we should only be able to pick from a few of them.
Wargizmo

Postby michal.lewtak on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:14 pm

In my oppinion having to fish for items in the random easy/normal dunegons, only have a few available to choose as preparations, and not having all building preparations available at once when you unlock them, instead having to choose 2/3/4, are all irritating design choices. I don't mind the extra work needed to start a dungeon with specific items and preparations, but what bothers me is that I don't see the hidden stuff. I may have chosen the allowed number of preparations per building and filled my locker with items I consider best for most situations, but I'll never see the other choices at once when starting a new dungeon. I may not remember that having item X in my locker and preparation Y available to choose, is the best option for the current mission, and it's unsettling. We should be able to see and choose from all the preparations we unlocked, without allocating limited space for them.
As for items, a shopping system is good and bad. Good because you see them all and can buy them instantly, but bad because you can buy it and convert it instantly, which feels cheap. So I'm okay with having to fish the desired item in easy dungeons, but I want to be able to see a database of all existing items (at least those that I currently discovered by myself in shops, or as boss/quest rewards), and I want to be certain that the next easy dungeon run is guaranteed to have that item to buy or grab.

TL;DR, and also a good compromise between limited locker space and item shop:
How about this: there's a kingdom shop, but you can access it and buy whatever you want after completing Venture Cave or Den of Danger once. For each dungeon completion, you earn a special token (with a cap on 5 or something like that) and using that token you're allowed to buy one item in the kingdom shop (and you still have to pay for it with money, of course).
That would make it more fun and user-friendly, in my oppinion.
michal.lewtak

Postby Darvin on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:52 am

Darvin

Postby Wargizmo on Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:43 am

The glowing guardian doesn't destroy locker items. I accidentally pissed him off in my last game and my poison sword remained in tact.
Wargizmo

Return to Desktop Dungeons