[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Disappointed..

Disappointed..

All things Desktop Dungeons

Disappointed..

Postby xspeedballx on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:50 pm

So.. and I am really not trying to stir anything up here.. but I wanted to say it. I have vanished from these forums intentionally a few months ago because I found the environment growing caustic, non-productive, and honestly a waste of time. I have kept note of all of the new improvements to UI and poked and played with them as I have had time lately(less than I would like, work + kids make it hard). I came back into the forums today hoping to see active discussion about improvements to the UI, what is working, what people are thinking to better add polish and such. Something I can latch on and really help bring the game forward.

What I find? The same topics from months ago, the same old arguments, the same hot emotions, and the same irritation that the community that seemingly has the easiest time to talk to the devs, spending so much energy seemingly not helping.

Why am I typing this? Because I am disappointed. I liked this community. I love this game, and I love seeing it growing as mature as it is with all of the polish. The community is now frustrating, and boring. It is likely just an isolated group but it is reverberating through this forum. I am a nobody, and I am from nowhere. But I wanted to let you all know this because I have never previously been short on sharing my opinions here so I want to share this(hopefully not last but maybe) one.
xspeedballx

Re: Disappointed..

Postby Lujo on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:48 pm

So what's to say? Whole lot of this stuff was a long time coming, the new control schemes need a bit of time and bugs ironed out before people can realy give feedback, the new icons are mostly nice. I guess everyone's happy that they're finally there and noone really wants to complain about particular pictures - who'd want to suggest putting artists through more work?

The codex, the statistics and a whole bunch of other stuff is still on it's way and they'll get lots of feedback probably, but as far as contributing past a few bugs - not much to do. Balancing the game is over - and most people here are players, as far as I'm aware. Dev's implemented a lot of stuff - missclick protection and all that - hurrah, but quite a few of those things where discussed to death already and were not here earlier because of the scope of the work.

What IS there to latch on to? Besides the things we can't comment yet, the god forsaken locker slot mess is the only unresolved thing around. Past complementing the devs and artists on a good job for every new batch of things that shows up, is there anything left to do? We could fill the wiki up, I guess...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Bloggorus on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:13 am

Bloggorus

Postby dislekcia on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:54 am

dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:22 am

Lol. You're welcome. The thing is that there's nothing new to comment on, and the only reason you are seeing (or will ever see) bad attitudes here are because the locker thing has been brought up recently (I tried to stop it, I promise). The only new thing is my commentary on Jay's videos and more sporadic and random strategy discussions. The problem with the wiki is that new art will keep coming out. The devs explicitly said that there will be practically no more balance changes, so what should we do?

Actually, I'm curious, beyond the locker discussions, where do you see bad attitudes?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Bloggorus on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:44 am

I thought attitudes were up. Jay's videos have had everyone watching instead of talking. Heaps of praise for devs and newbs giving much needed feedback.

Even the discussion of the lockers was more of a summary recap of the devs (justified) reasons for not changing it. Lujo is only only one still beating that horse with textwalls.

Until he came along, the conversation was more about the merits of hacking a game open weighed against ruining the challenge for yourself.

You'd think he'd have learned his lesson by now. Can we put a word limit or something on him? ;)
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:59 am

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:24 am

Lujo

Postby Bloggorus on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:30 am

Bloggorus

Postby Lujo on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:47 am