Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

Postby booooooze on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:43 am

30:
- Bah, take WEYTWUT instead. Make yourself a tasty bowl of popcorn and clear the chokepoints.
- Or at least entanglement. Remember you get +1XP for killing slowed critters. So at least entangle before you kill any lvl 1s
- WHAT!? Killing plants? At least you realized it.
- Engtangle, entangle, entangle.
- Why did you Plantation > Clearance immediately? At least look to see if there are any plants in your way.
- Yay, greenblood. Finally.
- And you remembered entanglement, finally.

You didn't honestly think it would be that easy, did you? :P

Avatar will have plenty to say, methinks.
booooooze

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:02 am

I was shocked that I won, and then shocked that I lost :)
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby booooooze on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:36 am

As is generally true: Avatar is right. If I were you, I'd try to finish all of the Complicated Tasks, then work on unlocking all of the gods.

One more thing: on 30, you prepped extra potion shops, but didn't even consider buying an extra health potion...
booooooze

Postby Watcher487 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:12 pm

On video 31.
You started out prefect for the run until you forced yourself into Taurog. Sticking with Earthmother is a wiser decision considering you don't get punished for casting spells and she also gives you mana when you use Clearance. You might have been able to kill the Goo Blob via Taurog w/ Fireballs if you had picked up the Pendant of Mana and a Mana Potion via the 2 shops available.

The Avatar would be proud of you, all the way through The Indominable kill. But afterwords you spent alot of resources getting worried over Goo Blob. (Post Indominable you should go after every Animated Armors if you need to look for items and set yourself up for the other boss.)
Watcher487

Postby berpdreyfuss on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Yes, a very good run until that point. It shows how the game forces you to change tactics. Normally a berserker with Taurog is doing fine but the Goo Blob forces you to be a spellcaster (which you kind of were until you decided to change to Taurog). At that point your goal should have been to get as much mana as possible. Pendant, potions, clearance and levelups would have done it.
berpdreyfuss

Postby booooooze on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:53 pm

31:
- ENTANGLEMENT! Entangle before you wall things. I will say it after every EM video: you get 1XP for walling slowed enemies, and 1XP extra for killing them in any other manner.
- still wasting resources while exploring. Stack some fireballs on someone if you're at full mana and low health.
- you're arguably a little too obsessed with IMAWALL. Or, possibly, I'm not obsessed enough with it. The truth probably lies in the middle.
- Killing the plant was really poor. You lost 15 piety by killing it. Remember that Clearance gives you mana. If you are trying to get past a plant, and are going to take Clearance to do so, IMAWALL some plants that aren't in your way. a) That will help the odds of Clearing the plant you want removed, b) it makes up some piety. Even with a 15 piety cost Clearance, it would have been cheaper piety-wise to IMAWALL a plant, then do another Clearance.
- Everyone has already mentioned it, but think about it: why go to Taurog? I know why you like him. He's an easy, straightforward god, who is more powerful than many vets give him credit for. In general. But in this specific instance, you're up against a boss with 75% physical resist. So, you really ought to be fireballing him. True, you're a beserker, which makes it harder to fireball, but fortunately, you're worshiping EM, who gives you free mana as one of her boons. But you give her up, without thinking, because you like Taurog. Just remember this, that's all I ask.
booooooze

Postby dislekcia on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:57 pm

I'm really enjoying the latest round of feedback ;)

Sounds like an interesting run Jay, I'll go watch it tomorrow.
dislekcia

Postby Naoya on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:31 am

Nice run, until the blob, but you know that already.
Funnily enough, if this would've been Dracul instead of Taurog it might haveve worked... which would've been quite awesome. Makes me wonder if there will be achievments other than badges if the game goes on steam, and if yes, there has to be one for killing high resist stuff like this.

A few little notes:
*Clearing cursed pocorn is alright if you can clear out normal popcorn as well; as long as you can get rid of it, it doesn't really matter. Actually, clearing cursed popcorn first is a good idea as long as you don't get too many curse stacks.
*Try to remember to check the shops every now and then, especially before bossfights.
*Try to explore the map as much as possible if you face a boss where regenfighting won't work save for a few extra tiles.
Naoya

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:36 am

I wish I could watch the two vids now. They sound great. Can't wait until I get wi-fi.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:43 am

I am committed to doing this, so I apologize for being behind. I finally got back to civilization. Anyways, here goes nothing!

Part 30: Vicious! Exciting! You will not win. No one does, has, or will. You lack the necessary preps, skills, and you don't have a well formed strategy (the most important of all). 136 is still not that much. The three most expensive preps total more than that. Vicious monsters have great stats and the bosses are RIDICULOUS. Always take entanglement off the bat so you get the 1 bonus exp for petrifaction. You ALWAYS need ENDISWAL. WHAT ARE YOU DOING! You are blatantly wasting exploration, while you have an ENDISWAL glyph you could have used to clear every choke points. WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU EVER MAKE SUCH A BAD DECISION? MANA BURN IS THE WORST! You could have ENDISWALed or WEYTWUTed, but instead you are WASTING A MANA POTION?! NOOO! You need mana to take out a level 2, so mana burn not on a level up is vertable suicide! YOU NEED EVERY POTION! Do not accept doing foolish things. That is accepting defeat. You are burning your chances to the ground. The fact that you are blocked in with ENDISWAL reflects incredibly poorly on you. This should never ever happen. You also poisoned yourself?! Do you want to lose? NO! Killing level ones is losing! You should have petrified for vine form and thus the ability to fight level twos effectively. YOU ARE CONVERTING ENDISWAL?! AGH! Based purely on the fact of how much monsters have hung you up it should be obvious this is a mistake, and I ohappen to know this dungeon has lots of walls blocking off exploration, adding even more to the benefit of ENDISWAL. Come on, I expect more from you. Walking into vicious expecting to lose is making you dig your own grave. Excessively. You know what I'm telling you and you've done it before! Why not now? You are walking around poisoned. With a fortitude tonic you won't need later. And you've wasted half of your map at level 1. AND IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT. And I don't mean that in a mean way. You have to expect an awful map for vicious. You actually got a nice one with the ENDISWAL too! NOT A HEALTH POTION! USE THE FORTITUDE TONIC! You will need far more than all of them. WHAT WAS THAT. You are attempting to regen fight a snake?! I'm not going to keep flipping out about your poor start. It was your fault, but you know this, so I'll stop screaming it. Just remember your mistakes and don't repeat them. You are smart not to fight the blinker--never mind, you hit him. Vicious is crazy. So DON'T KEEP WASTING RESOURCES! Seriously, your wasted tiles are off the charts. You are looking for a good IMAWAL target an then maul a level 1 zombie. Which is a good IMWAL target. You will have to start doing the math. And DON'T FORGET ENEMY ABILITIES! Nice job remembering to cast BURNDAYRAZ after the hit. You really didn't need that WEYTWUT under EM. Entanglement can be used whenever you are one shot short of a kill. That happened about 1000 times. Ah, the underworld. You'll see about that once you're better and you come back here. The one downside about IMAWALing a plant is you lose clearance ability. You are forgetting HALPMEH, when it was the difference between success and defeat. Or you could use ENTANGLEMENT! THE ELVEN BOOTS?! If you are going to prep an item, don't destroy it unless absolutely necessary. That's hard? You're right. You just did something for no reason. Why? Unless you have an express reason for doing something, DON'T. Plantation and clearance this early?! WHAT?! You can't kill any of them unless you want to kill your piety. Well, too late. You are using clearance when it was not necessary! And you could just use ENTANGLEMENT! A mana potion! Dang. This isn't going well at all. Form 1 is wimpy. If it takes a few potions, you've lost. Lol, it has IMAWAL as an option against Namtar. That's a bug. You don't have to waste pepper. If you buy the badge of honor for a death protection you could salvage it. Clearance is much better in conjuncture with HALPMEH rather than BURNDAYRAZ. You are attempting the most ridiculous regen targets that you will never win. JUST START DOING THE MATH! You had no shot from the beginning. As soon as you took in a halfling priest with what you have unlocked in Namtar's Lair, you'd lost. I'm barely even watching this. You are in a downward suicide spiral with no hope of victory. I have no interest in watching you attempt to salvage this. And NOW you remember HALPMEH! You prepped apothecary. You might as well buy a potion. Wait, I missed you picking up that GETINDARE. Whatever, you just got it. Wow, you just barely scratched the surface of Namtar'a Lair. I can't wait until you get better. You prepped the apothecary. Why don't you buy a potion, or at least consider it. Green blood sucks late game. Using clearance in conjuncture with HALPNEH would score an extra hit or two. He mana burns. Saving mana isn't an option. Finally you think of entanglement! I did just as well as you on my first vicious try. Don't let it get you down. It's Nam-tar, not Nam-tir. Whatever.

KEY POINTS: You need to be a lot more focused in your play. Things like forgetting monster resources or not seeing exploration has hurt you significantly. Always check all of your options; You used a health potion where a fortitude tonic was smarter, you totally forgot HALPMEH, and you never used Entaglement till the very end. You need to start doing the math. Seriously.

Part 31: People have said this was good until the end. We'll see... The berserker is born to win the Halls of Steel. The only reason I don't normally use it for this dungeon is the risk of scoring the goo blob. Human berserker was smart. PREP TAUROG. Dang. That would have been smart. You can actually smash the orb in this case, because you don't really need the magic res. GETINDARE! Lucky man! This is set up to crush. Nice job noticing PISORF would score a level 3 kill. It's what I would have done (although you over explored to do it, slightly). You might as well worship EM immediately. She's great early. You CAN fight curse bearers, but only as a last resort. Ouch, the blob. Good choice replacing PISORF. This run has been well done. Always care if you're wasting exploration. You don't need to heal all the way between attacking AA's if you can take out a DP with less. This is all well done so far. GETINDARE and BURNDAYRAZ should both be kept. Wow, your lethargy just did you a big favor. YOU REMEMBEREd HIS FIRST STRIKE! Actually, you can take out that level 8 guy. Well, your fine as is. Don't forget GETINDARE. Taurog will hurt you against the goo. DON'T WORSHIP HIM. And you forgot GETINDARE. Remember, it is much cheaper than BURNDAYRAZ. You don't want to level up. Find the indomitable and use a mid-fight level up to kill the indomitable. And you're doing it! I told you the indomitable sucks. You don't need to wait for the fireball if you can take out a DP. It was smart to trash the orb. NO! DON'T WORSHIP TAUROG! You should use clearance and plantation along with entanglements for a mid-fight level up FTW. The mana Taurog charges you is mana you can't afford to lose. You should not have done that. Take out the popcorn! DON'T KILL THE DEATH PLANT! And you wasted a mid-fight level up?! You are wasting resources to convert out of the god you should be using to fight the boss. That makes no sense! You should count exp. It is very helpful, along with doing the math. You should IMAWAL any high level targets ou won't or can't fight (like level 8 curse guys). You have left a health booster on the map for no apparent reason. Lol, did you just FORGET your conversion! No! That conversion sucks, and it hurts you. You will need to fireball that goo! NOOOO! Converting BURNDAYRAZ was definitely a mistake. Berserker or no berserker, you ALWAYS want fire for the goo. No whatever. You might not win. You needed that fireball. You're fine. Your piety must drop below 0. This would have been easy if you had never gone to Taurog. You were set up for success and then you threw that away to make things harder for you. Why did you prep that fortitude tonic there is no poison or weakening. You lose. And it's all your fault. Better luck next time!

KEY POINTS: Think about what you are doing and take an open-minded approach. You confined your berserker to physical attacks and Taurog when an EM-based fireball salvo would have easily destroyed it.

EDIT: I noticed there's more!

Part 32: This is set up to be a cakewalk. This challenge is made for the berserker. Go forth and destroy! Come on, prep Taurog! Fewer glyphs nets slightly more CP (100 maybe?). ALWAYS PREP TAUROG (with the exception of GG from time to time). That was a little harsh. Poor guy. You might as well pick up the fireball. This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. You just said your berserker shouldn't use glyphs! That is a close-minded approach and that cost you the last run. While this was one fringe case where that BURNDAYRAZ conversion was okay, remember that it would normally be a huge risk (remember the goo)! Good choice. Nice job bringing the time under 30 mins. When at an impasse, kill the first striker. You can convert a potion to nab a level 2 humility. Try not to use protections before the boss. It should be as sacred as potions, because it is your substitute for them. If you don't see a level 6 and do see a level 5, save the exploration. The boss doesn't change. Just check the boss section of the dungeon panel. Nice 4 level higher kill. You are ignoring a level 8 warlock you can kill without the level up. It isn't tough. You are destroying this. Mana burners are fine targets for a warmonger berserker. Hahahaha! That happens to everyone about 3 times before they learn to think. Wow. This is going to be a joke. I barely need to watch. Don't buy stuff so immediately unless you are specifically looking for it. Pick even higher level targets. You can afford to attack one poisoner because you have a fortitude tonic. Are you blind? You have regen in the top! That pacemaker sub dungeon is persistent. This is well done. You are not counting your fortitude tonic. Your prepping the thing, USE IT! You could win it now. Just regen fight. Yeah, you can't mid-fight level up with gorgons, so kill them. Just go to the particle explosion. 2 runs in 20 minutes? Nice! Yeah, Mis-clicks happen, especially if you play fast. Damn gorgons.

KEY POINTS: Well done! Just read the above, it's a collection of little points.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons