[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Bring back the keyboard...

Bring back the keyboard...

All things Desktop Dungeons

Bring back the keyboard...

Postby wondernate on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:37 am

I saw a few other posts regarding this... I just wanted to add my voice to them. I much prefer the keyboard movements. I would love to see that back in the new version like you have in the old version.

Thanks for makin the game though!
wondernate

Re: Bring back the keyboard...

Postby dislekcia on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:19 pm

I really can't understand why people chose to play with the keyboard in the alpha. Barring not actually having a mouse to use, it was simply always an inferior option. Never gave enough combat information, so keyboard players were automatically locked out of learning the ins and outs of the actual game...
dislekcia

Postby thegabbert on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:58 pm

I don't think anybody played the alpha with just the keyboard (at least, I can't see how that would work). I used both: I would mouse over enemies to get the combat info, figure out how many times I could hit the mob, etc., but actually smacking the mobs or when walking around exploring or picking up stuff from the ground, I found the keyboard easier than *click* *move mouse hand a little* *click* *move mouse hand a little* *click*. I never used the keyboard by itself, but when I didn't need to look at things, it was nice to just arrow around, and it was a bit jarring when I joined the beta and keyboard support was missing.
thegabbert

Postby booooooze on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:50 am

It seems to be a minority voice, sadly.

a) I play on a laptop, generally in bed, touchpad blows. For a while I would hook up a mouse and grab a magazine, just for DD. Now I just suffer through.
b) It's a roguelike, no? Do you play nethack et al with the mouse? I can't imagine. Sure, new players could use the info of mousing over. But, as I'm sure I've said before, I'd pay for the game again just to get keyboard controls.
booooooze

Postby squirrelnest on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:07 am

I only want keyboard movement for one thing:

Anytime I mass kill a bunch of plants. Western jungle boss, I'm looking at you.

Honestly, I'd like a "kill all plants of this type I can reach without uncovering black space" button, but no point in getting greedy.
squirrelnest

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:06 am

it's certainly not a huge issue to me, but if keyboard controls were available I would most certainly use them
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Waldo0 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:31 am

*F+Click* "WTF? Oh.. the monster had a 'Retaliate: Fireball'...." -2012 Waldo0
"I cleared this game!!!" -2013 Waldo0
Waldo0

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:47 am

You realise that in order to make keyboard controls convey the proper information, moving into an enemy would no longer attack it, right? You'd have to select an enemy by moving into it, then space for attack. I'm guessing that would slow down keyboard movement quite a bit.

And yes, while I understand the expectation people have that roguelikes should have keyboard movement, it's obvious to me that the implementation of keyboard controls in the alpha was terrible for a game like Desktop Dungeons. It had so many issues, both informational and formative (like how Totalbiscuit never learned to move diagonally in his video, for example) that we chose to leave it out when we started working on the beta.
dislekcia

Postby harfatum on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Keyboard movement is easier on my wrists and fingers, so I prefer it in some cases. I know mouse movement is quicker, but using the keyboard is more relaxing for me.
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby thegabbert on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:08 am

thegabbert

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons