[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Level Up Toasts

Level Up Toasts

All things Desktop Dungeons

Level Up Toasts

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:04 pm

Bloggorus

Re: Level Up Toasts

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:50 pm

I totally support this idea. The level effects are too numerous to be easily figured out. One detail is that it might be nice to give some detail as to where things came from (excluding the generic level up effects). Just heading the pact's effects with "body pact" or whichever it is and heading the patches effects with "patches".
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:25 am

I don't know if a big intrusive text box is the best idea though. I think if something like this were to come along it should be similar to the piety tab in the lower right. That way every time one of you character stats changes (due to a pick up, god boon, weakening, level up etc it could be detailed in the bottom right, taking all the guess work out of where your stats are coming from.
I think something like this would be incredibly useful, especially if patches is along giving you damage bonuses (or whatever he does) you can have a log of where that comes from.
The only thing that would need to be exluded from the panel as far a stat changes would be damage taken and mana used.

I think this solution is smaller, less intrusive, and more informative than a huge congrats banner every level up ;)

On the other hand I have no idea how long it would take to develop such a thing, or even if it is ultimately "desirable". I know I would like it though, so I could see the exact level gains and figure out where all my benefits are coming from.
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Darvin on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:28 am

No, I wouldn't want to see this. Level-ups happen frequently (often mid-battle) in Desktop Dungeon, and this would be an unnecessary distraction.

Patches is the only case where things get complicated.
Darvin

Postby Dreamdancer on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:48 am

I'm on the same side as Darvin. A pop-up for every level-up would be annoying really fast. So an additional tab would be great. But this could lead to too many tabs (inventory, piety, shop/stairs, monster, level-log).
Nevertheless such a pop-up would be nice for new players. I think the best solution would be a pop-up which an be disabeled in the menu (and which is on by default).
Dreamdancer

Postby Lujo on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:42 am

Well, I think it's a good general idea that would help teach a very important but obscure mechanic to newbies. There are problems with the way things are, but having a part of the left side interface where stars or somesuch could pop up and be clicked upon to check out what you got would be great if implementable.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Dreamdancer on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:04 am

Dreamdancer

Postby Bloggorus on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:57 pm

I dont like tabs too much, especially when the devs have done such a good job with immediate feedback like text bubbles, toasts and the visual effects.

What about a simple list of effects that drops down and then fades out? It wouldn't be around for long, and a small button somewhere could give you more details.

like this : Image
Bloggorus

Postby dislekcia on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:14 am

It's much easier to add how much you'll gain on a stat per level to the stat's mouseover information.

But we're also working on something a little more obvious that won't obscure the play-area as well.
dislekcia

Postby Bloggorus on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:56 am

Excellent. My work here is done :)
Bloggorus

Return to Desktop Dungeons