All things Desktop Dungeons

Scapegoats and Holy Divers

Postby GoatBot on Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:39 am

GoatBot

Re: Scapegoats and Holy Divers

Postby Lujo on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:50 pm

I am swept off my feet. :I

Wow.

Well, now we know why the special edition costs twice as much as the regular one - you get two games in one. Three if you count VGT.

Wow.

Also, very nice to provide the roguelike fans with THEIR favourite thing. You really DID make a separate puzzle and roguelike edition of the game after all :D

Just... Wow.
Last edited by Lujo on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:54 pm

um. . .that is. . .um. . .wow

I am both terrified and intrigued.
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Kingdom of One on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:56 pm

I must admit I didn't bother upgrading to SE due to laziness even though I'd intended to ever since I discovered that this game was much better than I'd expected. No excuses now.

I had some ideas as to what you might do for the new class but am impressed at what you've come up with. Really feels like a lot of thought went into designing something that'll make the gameplay unique and provide new challenges.
Kingdom of One

Postby Darvin on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Hmmm... sounds like Jehora Jeheyu will be a nightmare for the new guy. JJ has always been potentially game-ending if used without careful planning. With his vulnerability to mana burn and poison, no control over when you join or leave his religion, and alpha-vampire-like exploration mechanic that makes life drain and mana burn even more devastating than they usually are, it sounds like JJ is going to be intensely frustrating for him.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:41 pm

Well, after we've thoroughly tested it maybe we can finally bum a JJ fix off the devs on "the new class doesn't need to be balanced but this is ridiculous" grounds at some point? :)
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Thinking about the deities...

Taurog - could be a great piety farm for this guy. Unless you're resistance stacking (which may be a viable approach with the Holy Diver) I can't see touching his boons.

Glowing Guardian - primarily for protection. Seeing as he can't stick around in GG's religion, enlightenment is not happening. With level-ups less meaningful, humility is of little value. Absolution has been nerfed pretty heavily and is no longer worth much past level 1/2, and with his heightened value on popcorn it looks like something the Holy Diver will avoid like the plague. So protection and maybe cleansing.

Mystera - 1 free point of mana and pray to nine gods that you have 50+ piety when she appears so you can get one of her good boons. The difficulty converting out of her religion late game is one of her downsides, which this guy gets to skimp out on. Getting her meaningful boons will be another matter.

Earthmother - will you get IMAWAL when she appears? If not, earning piety with her could be a serious challenge and render her of limited value. She could be a real game-winner if you get her during the boss fight, though (plantation + clearance).

Dracul - hope you find him at a higher level; blood curse and tithe are too good to pass up for this character, but painful if you're forced to take it early. Blood Hunger is much too risky with GG and EM on the roster, but sanguine can be controlled carefully.

Tikki Tooki - it'll be a race to get as many boons as you can before you level up. Tikki's Edge would actually be a bad thing since you'd level up and leave his religion sooner!

Binlor - similar problem to EM in terms of requiring wall-breaking to earn piety. However, walls will basically be unlimited so this class may be one of the few that can reliably spam stone heart.

It occurs to me that the monster lair secret subdungeon will be awesome. On the glyph front, I wonder how they will handle BLUDTUPOWA for this class. If it charges food then it's practically useless for him. If it doesn't charge food, it's a game-changer for him.
Last edited by Darvin on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Wow. This ought to be very interesting. Thanks to the devs for coming up with such an awesome idea. I'm really glad I have a special edition right now.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby flap on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:35 pm

That looks really interresting.
I was wondering wether we would simply be allowed to play the guards (the featureless class), or get the same changeling as we had in alpha. But that new guy seems pretty terrifying.

But, I hardly understand goods and am still soooo far from being a veteran...
flap

Postby Lujo on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Well, seeing how there are two "empty" slots in the "class completion" panel for dungeons, and Holy Diver will most likely be filling one of them. If he's a goat, I'd wager he'll fill the 4th monster slot leaving a nice slot for a guard.

Execept the guard would have to take the topmost position and then it would make thematic sense since the tinker could be in the same row as the rogue classes, the crusader in the same row as the priests and the transmuter with the wizards.

He could have the following abilities:

1) Persistance - keeps persistant appearance under all circumstances (meaning only one graphic representation :) )
2) Keep going with all the good jokes I've seen around the forums of the same variety as the above one
3) Gets a bit more gold for sucesfully clearing out a dungeon (he's vanilla, right, should be an incentive to play him)

I'd say it'd be swell.
Lujo

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons