[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Scapegoats and Holy Divers

Scapegoats and Holy Divers

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Scapegoats and Holy Divers

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Ooh, this sounds really cool!

I wonder how he'd do on VGT?
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:02 pm

He'd be... interesting :D

I've just reread the post, and I'm thinking - I whish some of this stuff had it's own tokens similar to the vicious one...

And the food thing should deffinitely bring the "roguelike" aspect of DD to the forefront. I think I'd love a playthrough with the damned feature on at all times for all classes regardless of balance.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Nandrew on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:23 pm

Nandrew

Postby Nandrew on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:38 pm

I've climbed down into a rather common subdungeon (free exploration around staircase). I see a dented helm lying diagonally from me. I'm sorely wounded and would benefit greatly from the tiles expended to move over and pick it up, plus obvious item benefits. But I haven't seen any monsters to kill topside and only have 15 food left, so I'm forced to leave it behind for the time being.

Even if I do find an opponent quickly enough, I'm still going to have to consider whether I really need the helmet for THAT fight (eating into my long-term food supplies) or if I can prevail without it.
Nandrew

Postby harfatum on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:59 pm

If indeed the character is a scapegoat, can they eat other things besides fallen enemies? Tin cans/their own armor, perhaps?

In any case, this looks like a lot of fun. I do hope that with skillful play, all the dungeons are beatable with the new class.
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby Darvin on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:06 pm

Darvin

Postby Nandrew on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:42 pm

JJ can generally be a windfall at any point.

The math is weighed so that JJ's first bunch of rolls are heavily favourable towards the player. It is more than possible to grab the 20 piety necessary from scratch, no matter your level. But it's also extremely difficult to encounter a god ONLY late game, since the standard 3 altar loadout probably means that each god will be picked once in each phase of the game (okay, just averages). The Pactmaker is never explicitly picked, so sometimes there's a dangerous ping-pong between the two remaining gods -- I once had GG and Dracul staring each other down.

So I've now confirmed B2P actually does avoid food costs. That should be an interesting avenue. I'll try save it next time.
Nandrew

Postby Kingdom of One on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:54 pm

I wonder how Namtar's Lair going to play out regarding food? It has a huge required tile to monster ratio.
Would be funny if it's only doable with LEMMISI/WEYTWUT combo.
Kingdom of One

Postby Nandrew on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:35 pm

Nandrew

Postby Fran on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:57 pm

I'm not really enthusiastic about the class, to be honest. Basically, what you're describing is a new set of draconian rules which will surely benefit the vets thirst for challenge, but at the same time, the class sounds pretty unplayable to anyone who isn't really good at the game and doesn't quite knows what he's doing. There doesn't even seem to be any positive class feature the class could actually use as an advantage.

My point is that as someone being mediocre at the game, I feel locked out of the bonus content if its only catered towards the vets' need for challenge, as it seems to do. I'm not mad at you or anything, I'm still glad I supported you by buying the special edition and would do it again, but making the class work differently without making it work much more difficult would've been much more fitting, at least in my opinion. I feel like a token which brings the foodsystem and underlying rules would've been a better idea.

Just my 2ct.
Fran

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons