Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Two new videos!

Thief Silver (2nd Try): There are 4 of each booster because you are a thief. Not so excellent. You're walled in. You should switch with the level 2, and then switch with a level 9. You WEYTWUTed the boss... You have to make sure you explore around the enemy. NOT AGAIN! EVERY TIME! Well, at least you realized your mistake. You don't really ever need your LEMISI after the beginning. Wrong. You can regen fight him by topping off just a little bit. That was close. You almost lost this by not pre-WEYTWUTing. This dungeon doesn't really leave you with popcorn. You can't afford to use a THIRD potion for leveling. Now you can kill the level 3 chest. Good, you figured out my little WEYTWUT trick. Seriously, the single most important thing in here are the chests. Always check the chest. IMAWAL is more valuable than LEMISI. Yes. You are correct. You should WEYTWUT anything you know you won't kill as top priority. Yes, you do need WEYTWUT, because you need the slowing exp. Now get that level 5 chest. You could be killing level 6's with the ENDISWAL from that level 5 chest. Seriously, every time you level up you should check all chests to see if you can kill one. Wow, that shouldn't have happened in the first place, but it sure worked. Don't forget IMAWAL. YES! That is the single most important glyph on the map right now. It enables 2 level higher kills. You are ENDISWALing for one hidden exploration, when you could get 4. Ugh. Why would you choose easy over necessary. You could convert your LEMISI and IMAWAL (which you aren't even using). Uh, no. All you need is 6 to get around monsters BECAUSE YOU HAVE ENDISWAL! You are hurting yourself so much with these half hits. If it costs more than two hits to kill a 1 level higher monster, you need to convert something. You are basically taking twice as many resources per kill. BURNDAYRAZ isn't very important. If you have BURNDAYRAZ and have explored the whole map, convert ENDISWAL. Why do you keep using ENDISWAL on terrible spaces? ARE YOU SUICIDAL? IT IS A 2 LEVEL HIGHER KILL AND YOU ALREADY USED 2 MORE POTIONS! You should have attacked the level 1 chest then converted WEYTWUT. One reason you don't have exploration is you've wasted it on two level higher kills while ENDISWALing the worst spaces on the map. Why did you convert GETINDARE isntead of WEYTWUT? ENDISWAL+GETINDARE is decidedly more effective than WEYTWUT+ENDISWAL. You can't kill the level 7's. Seriously, it should be obvious that you have nowhere near enough hp as of now. MORE POTIONS?! Eh, your just scrapping now. You have no shot. I'm not even going to commend at this point. You are just trying to kill a bunch of stuff. Wrong. You could convert ENDISWAL. Okay, this doesn't really matter anymore. Don't forget potions heal both.

KEY POINTS: If you are a tiny bit short of killing a 1 level higher monster, CONVERT A GLYPH! It makes the fight cost half as many resources. Once you have ENDISWAL, replace WEYTWUT with GETINDARE. You should convert LEMISI or IMAWAL first. WEYTWUT requires you to clear the tiles around the monster. One thing this is great at teaching is how killing the highest level monster you can isn't always smart. It costs too much to kill 2 level higher guys in this challenge.

[strike]Crusader[/strike] Warlord Bronze: Ah, this is a fun one! Er... what? It says Crusader. Okay, you should rename it. Warlord bronze is a fun one too. Troll heart is almost a guaranteed buy at level 1. Even as a warlord. You need a level two. Yeah, everything gets a DP after the first kill. It really isn't clearly marked. Nicely done. Brief tip: if you only need to explore one tile for a level up kill, just explore one. Even if it means not seeing/getting a booster, shop, or glyph. Remember to precast CYDSTEPP! A level 9 at level... 4? You could kill a level 9 terror goat maybe, but that's it. The gorgons are terrible. If you have anything but max health it screws you. Yeah, these aren't normal goats. They're terror goats. Less health and more damage. Real easy for a warlord. I would have looked at the level 9 gorgon. Yeah, CYDSTEPP is GREAT for the warlord, but it is more meh for other people. Fighting to remove a monster death protection is rather ineffective. It costs an obscene amount of resources. You get a bunch of extra potions. You could have killed the boss a while ago. You are about to CRUSH Bleaty. Well done.

KEY POINTS: Always explore as few tiles as possible when regenerating. It adds up, trust me. Using all of your resources to only remove a DP off a monster is the single most inefficient form of fighting that will eventually win. Of course, sometimes it is necessary or worth it, but it should normally be avoided.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Well never say I don't post the embarrassing runs. Yeah theif silver is giving me some trouble but I am going to work through it eventually :/

Thanks for the name correction as well btw
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:40 pm

Eh, it wasn't that bad. That is one challenge that is as tough as a hard dungeon, and harder than some of those.

Rogue Bronze: Rogue's are best played as dwarves or the race you haven't unlocked. Human rogues are nice, but dwarves are just better. You have a wall cruncher. Use it. Don't just throw away popcorn. You really need to find ENDISWAL. Meat men are TERRIBLE. You are very right about that. You should be killing cursing enemies. There are only so many uncursed popcorn, so you should start with the cursed guys, as you can uncurse at any time with the remaining popcorn. The best place to open up with an ENDISWAL is a t-section tile. See, this is why you kill the cursed popcorn first. Meat men are very bad targets for rogues that aren't the race that you unlock. If your (SECRET) Rogue can take a hit from a meat men, it can often regen fight it. What should you do, use your extra mana to poke holes in stuff. Seriously, the amount of tiles and exp you are throwing away because you aren't constantly using is huge. Like WEYTWUTing, make sure minotaurs (and anything else with knockback) don't knock you into exploration. Fortunately for you, this is one of the easiest challenges in the game. You can kill the level 7. Good. You checked over everything. You are cursed. If you have one great weakness right now (other than an obstinate refusal to do arithmetic), it is that you always leave resists and curse out of your calculations, unless you have a large amount of resists. Why are you just killing off monsters to level?! And, as long as you're taking out popcorn, START WITH CURSE BEARERS. You should look at his panel. Poison and mana burn. And there goes a potion. He did mention another friend. That means there's another boss. Seriously, you have to remember to always be casting ENDISWAL. If you are going to ENDISWAL, do it where you will get more tiles. Don't do it on the nearest wall. It is a waste of resources. What is all of those tiles were gated by a nasty monster? Then when you ran out of mana and exploration, you wouldn't be able to do anything. Told you this was one of the easiest bronzes. If you are a couple damage shot of a hit, use BICEPS. Ouch. 2 exp short of DING! Max.

KEY POINTS: Check monsters abilities before you attack them. Always be poking holes with ENDISWAL where it will get you more exploration. If you are a few damage short of a kill, use BICEPS. When killing off popcorn, start with cursed monsters.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:00 am

Another bronze!

Assassin Bronze: This is another fun one. Bronzes really are little gems of dungeons. Now that you have goblins, you should generally always play goblin assassins. Good. That means you basically can't lose. Shard is basically invincible. Fortunately, you can one shot him since he is only level 8 (or is it 7?). All it takes is something like 4 bonus exp as a goblin. The ice trolls on this level are basically invincible. They have obscene hp and fast regen. Seriously, just constantly APHEELSIK whenever you can afford it. Sorry, Undeads cannot be poisonous. Meh, you're doing fine. If you can get a few higher level kills you're fine. If you had BURNDAYRAZ that kill is good. Sorry, that regen fighting isn't going to work without BURNDAYRAZ. There. Meat men are ideal targets for any assassin. You don't get first strike unless the creature is entirely surrounded. Good job poisoning before your first attack. It makes you do 40% more damage. 5 is the perfect number. Basically, your limit is anything twice your level that doesn't have magic res. You just need to remember to constantly poison. You need to CONSTANTLY cast APHEELSIK as much as possible. If you ever have mana above 5 and you don't have BURNDAYRAZ, CAST APHEELSIK! Okay, you've definitely won. That was very close to correctly done. As I said, the ice trolls are not to be fought. I would just convert IMAWAL. You probably already have enough to beat Shard already. You really shouldn't go after him. Fast regen means APHEELSIK won't work, and their stats are so obscene you have to use swift hands to auto-KO them. Just like the boss. I don't think shard has ever been conventionally killed. It would be possible with gods, the class of our choice and a full item pool, but with this set up it might be impossible. Well, I can basically stop commentating. Just clean up the map and convert stuff. There. All of the bronzes are easy. The silvers are more the level of hard dungeons (with the exception of a few), and golds are more like hard to easy vicious. Somewhere in between there. I wish there was a conversion hotkey. Wow. You just said that. Just mousing over and hitting some key. Shame. You didn't read the flavor text.

KEY POINT: If APHEELSIK is your only regen fighting glyph, use it whenever possible.

The Avatar

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:46 am

yup, I will prolly do all the bronzes before I move on to silver, but I am itching to do regular adventures again and try out that battlemage ring. I haven't decided if I want to prep it with a wizard or a sorcerer yet. . .but I know I want it.
Remember that I LIKED flames until you told me how terrible it was. . .this thing looks like flames without the downside to me.
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Lujo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:58 am

Again, flames is terrible if you're going to melee stuff. It's rather good if you're just about to unload a million fireballs on the boss and have, say, that batlemage ring to stack damage higher (which has a terrible goldcost imo).
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Yeah, the Battlemage ring is a bit overpriced, but it isn't a bad prep in the mid-game.

Paladin Bronze: The monk is awesome. But the paladin is awesomer. Elves, gnomes, and humans make GREAT paladins. Dwarf paladins are really only good for the Healthmonster™ strategy. You really should read the flavor text for the challenge. The flavor text in this game is great. Paladin's don't really have high resists, but they aren't half bad. BURNDAYRAZ! Not a bad find. A GG Paladin is one instance where you can convert BURNDAYRAZ, and HALPMEH is usually better overall. PIE-ETY! There, now you can WEYTWUT. Ah, bilious corpses. Pretty. Always WEYTWUT lower level monsters. They are more likely to be popcorn. That level 3 is way out of your league. If you looked at GG and took three absolutions this would work, but that is it. CYDSTEPP changes nothing. Seriously, if you just look at it it should be obvious that this won't work. You really never do look at your god enough. There are a lot of great early game boons you don't even consider. You didn't need to regenerate all that. You should not have taken humility immediately. Don't take it until you are about to get your first kill, so you can keep your normal BURNDAYRAZ/HALPMEH power as long as possible. You took humility, so consider 3 level higher kills. Seriously, just convert CYDSTEPP. Your HALPMEH is much more valuable and you don't have enough tiles to reasonable support it. You don't necessarily need to regen up to full. If it won't enable you to score an extra hit, why do it? Oh dear. Now you're mana burned. You must remember to level up of mana burning kills. Since this is a bronze challenge, the boss it level 8. That is very common among bronze challenges. Good choice. That would have pissed off GG. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?! You should be slowing monsters as you explore. If you can convert anything, it's CYDSTEPP. Uh... what? Why would you level up when you are about to fight the boss? There are no level 8 monsters (as the boss is level 8), so you definitely won't be able to score a level up from 7 to 8. You should have done absolution at a low level (preferably 1). Enlightenment is pretty wasteful unless you have a BUNCH of prayer beads (at least 5). You could use absolution twice safely. It won't get rid of undead. NO! Don't fireball. HALPMEH. And you leveled up off enlightenment. Fail. Anyways, nice and easy victory and all that. You really should read all of the flavor text.

KEY POINTS: Constantly check your god for useful boons. You racked up way to much unused piety and wasted a good bit of that piety. HALPMEH is better than BURNDAYRAZ if you can use it once to get one hit.

The Avatar

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:39 am

Another one!

Sorcerer Bronze: You're still avoiding the monk? Shame. Sorcerer bronze is rather easy and vanilla, but it has a bit of a luck element. If you don't find BURNDAYRAZ early it is painful. Then again, I've found it on (literally) the last tile and still won, so it isn't THAT important. BLOO GOO! Those things are rather fun. They are like weak Goo Blobs. Always make sure you aren't going to reveal tiles through PISORF, WEYTWUT, or enemy knockback. Don't forget your spells heal you. That is kind of the main ability of the sorcerer... It makes for an incredible early game while leaving you with a mediocre later game. As a sorcerer you have a mana shield that does 1 magic damage per level in addition to your attack. What that means is vs AA's you get rid of 2 DPs per level. If you throw in a bear mace (knockback) it's 3 DPs for level. IMAWAL. As long as you are going to lug it around you should use it. That or convert it. Sorcerers get much worse as time goes on. This won't be as easy as you think (although the challenge will still be really easy. That's not an abyss. Just a border. You are wrong. It does NOT damage monsters when you shove them into nothing/flyable terrain. One small but very important note: When you remove a death protection from a monster, its damage is permanently reduced. Wow, that is proof of what terrible targets animated armors are. You should have just killed the level 5 snake. Consider two level higher targets! If you can PISORF your target into walls or a monster you can defiantly get a 2 level higher kill. Why would you not target the goat. What? PISORF it into the monster? You can still heal while poisoned when you play a sorcerer. Whurl'doff goo sounds like World of Goo. If you don't know World of Goo, I HIGHLY recommend you look at it. WHY U TARGET ANIMATED ARMORS? Seriously, as soon as you find BURNDAYRAZ this will get soooo much easier. Ugh. You keep picking the worst targets on the map. Seriously, I'd take a snake over an animated armor as a sorcerer. As soon as you find BURNDAYRAZ things are going to turn around. You have been carrying IMAWAL the entire game without using it. JUST CONVERT IT! All you need to do is find BURNDAYRAZ. That is all that matters. That will make it possible to win. BURNDAYRAZ is a guaranteed spawn. Just look for it. Wow. What a poor choice. And potion. That's the danger of using hotkeys. Heck, I do that all the time. Wow, this could have been so much better if you had just looked for BURNDAYRAZ. Whatever. WHAT? The predictor said you could survive a hit! JUST ATTACK IT! You really need to count your resists. You could have done this parched if you had looked for BURNDAYRAZ. Wow. That was somewhere between amusing and sad. You got hoarder... Well, it was a nice win nonetheless.

KEY POINTS: Never forget your resistances. NEVER! BUNRDAYRAZ is a guaranteed spawn. Look for it if you are about to engage a physical resist boss without it. Animated armors are probably the worst targets in the game.

The Avatar

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:41 am

Wow, it feels weird triple posting.

Part 68: Ah, backt to a real dungeon (not that class challenges are any worse. I actually like them more). An elf wizard in berserker camp. This isn't at all a bad choice. WHAT? YOU LOST IN THE BERSERKER CAMP?! Eh, I suppose it was your first time. Berserker camp is the easiest hard in the game. That was just bad luck with the line of enemies. I just noticed you brought a compression seal. Unless you intend to use this a cheap conversion fodder (in which case you should have taken patches instead/additionally), it really isn't a great prep for the wizard. You're better off fishing for the secret subdungeon with a transmutation seal or just stealing with a translocation seal. If you can beat a blinking a blinking monster stats wise, go ahead and try if you have no other targets. You should always start with attacks vs any berserking monster, simply to avoid the extra damage they'll deal. WHAT?! You have BLUDTUPOWA. That means you can do 4 fireballs. That totals to 44 damage. Correct. Popcorn Bowling is collecting lower level monsters through slowing or some other means to avoid killing them so they can be killed at an opportune moment that grants you a mid fight level up. Nicely done. That was a good kill. There is always one space where you can cross the river. Seriously, it'd not that bad. Why are you attacking lower level monsters. Wow. Just slow down. Please. If the river is to the left of you, only monsters to the LEFT of the main area will lead to the river crossing. So don't just randomly kill monsters above you instead. Don't potion. You can just level up instead. NO! YOU BETTER NOT POTION TWICE. Or you could use the Mass09 Ledger. Oh, that's a bug. Mass09's Ledger is a very powerful item. Seriously, one gold is meaningless. Wow. It's the Tower of Goo. That's great. That level 9 would be such a great kill. Seriously, you have not used APHEELSIK or BLUDTUPOWA. At least convert them. Don't forget glyphs just because they're small. You could have killed those level 9 wraiths if you used B2P. You could have more mana if you converted anything due to glyph sucking. Or glyph siphoning. You're choice. If you can't hit anything, then B2P is a dream come true. Well, that was totally unnecessary, but whatever. It worked either way. Yeah, in a magic heavy map MA is torture. You are totally shut off from your popcorn unless you can convert out. I wouldn't approach the boss at level 6 without 2 mid fight level ups or better stats (or good boons). There. That was the right choice. Now get close to leveling. The bloody sigil is a GREAT early game item. At level one it does not decrease your damage and it DOUBLES your regeneration. If you could kill him without the fireball, then you can totally skip getting the mana for one. Ah, Björn. He is a joke. He is the second easiest boss in the game (only beaten by Tomithy Longdall). Go for Björn. NOOOOOOOOO! You want to collect as many new trophies as possible. You didn't have to sell that scalp. You should have killed the goo, sold the Gooey Mess, and then exited with the scalp. Always get a mid fight level up. ALWAYS! You are wrong. What a poor choice. The zombie was a much better choice. Good. Use everything but health and mana first. You think this is cramped? Boy are you in for a rude awakening when you hit some other dungeons. The three strange trophies you haven't gotten are from the second hard dungeon in every direction except east (which you already did).

KEY POINTS: If you are going to prep something, use it (*cough* COMPRESSION SEAL *cough*). Never forget or underestimate B2P as a wizard. It is worth 2 fireballs in exchange for your normal hit (and if you don't get a normal hit it is just worth 2 fireballs), and that is VERY powerful. I would say the same about APHEELSIK. It is a great glyph and you don't use it nearly enough. I recommend you do the added Agbaar's Academy puzzles to learn how to use them effectively. Never forget to convert glyphs (or if you don't want to as a wizard, glyph siphon).

The Avatar

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:53 pm

Yeah sorry I haven't been posting much. In my defense I have a lot of real life business to deal with as summer classes end and I head into fall. As a nursing student I don't really get breaks :/
I will go to puzzles eventually I am sure. But right now my response when I look at them is ehhhhh, I don't wanna. I had fun with the ones I did, but that kind of puzzle isn't usually my thing. I will do them though when I have the extra time :)

As is I still totally don't even think about BLUDTUPOWA as being useful even though I use it liberally as a bloodmage. . .I mean I "know" it is useful. I even know "how" to use it. . .buuuut I just don't consider it I guess.
JayPlaysIndieGames

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons