[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Suggestion: In-dungeon 'conduct' list for badges

Suggestion: In-dungeon 'conduct' list for badges

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Suggestion: In-dungeon 'conduct' list for badges

Postby Sidestepper on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:21 pm

Yeah, the codex has been my most anticipated feature ever since it was announced. I even wanted it more than the graphics update. I would still trade both of them for Packmaster.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:18 pm

I actually suggested it originally, or if I didn't I'm certain I made a thread/post elaborating on why this particular game might really benefit from having it equivalent of civilopedia from civ games before it was announced. Not saying it influenced anything, or bragging, but it was a hugely anticipated feature for me BEFORE it was announced. Come to think of it, just about any such notion I've had so far apart from the pay to locker/veto ended up implemented in one way or another o.O
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:42 am

dislekcia

Postby Bloggorus on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Lolz swearing.

Also Lujo stop claiming you were inb4 everything under the sun. Nobody cares and comments like this tarnish the reputation of the community. It makes you, and us, sound like a petulant child.
Bloggorus

Postby Lujo on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:35 pm

I actually saw this text shrinking from you, Bloggorus, or somebody who's name escapes me now. I thought it was a nice way of putting something easily ignorable down, since the forum doesn't have "spoiler" tags or I'm too dumb to find them. I'm 100% certain that I saw other people doing it and didn't come up with it myself. Never saw anyone else catch flak for it though, so I thought it was ok...*

*Not to mention that every time I saw someone do it I couldn't understand why, so after thinking about it I concluded it's got to be when someone want's to write something that can easily be scrolled over unless someone's particularly interested in what a particular person had to say. Since I know some people have me on "ignore" I thought me using this to let other people know that I don't think what I'm writing is too important would save them time reading, unless someone really wants to know. :(

Appologies. And, err, not that it affected anything at any time, but I was inb4 quite a few things, though, admittedly I might come across as a bit of an idiot for pointing it out.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Quizer on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:57 pm

Okay, so the (apparently much-anticipated) Codex is out, and a function somewhat like what I requested is included in the current release. It is now possible to see which badges you have already earned in the current dungeon by clicking 'MENU' during a run.

However, the 'conducts' aspect of it seems to be entirely absent. Ideally, when I look at the Cheeky badge, for example, I want to be able to distinguish - optically and via mouseover - between the following cases:

Permanent record:
- Have not yet earned the badge
- Have already earned the badge in a prior run

'Conduct' for current dungeon run:
- Can still earn the badge by making a Lv2+ enemy my first kill
- Can no longer earn the badge during the current run, due to a Lv1 enemy being my first kill
- Have already earned the badge during the current run, and only need to complete the dungeon to 'bring it home'.

At the moment, only the first set can be distinguished, but I'd like the second set to be distinguishable as well. Mouseovers on the badges should give different texts depending on your conduct during the current run, and working with strikethrough text, font colors and the like could also be used to make this information visually apparent without a mouseover.

I hope you'll expand on the initial effort and make this badge list into a real tool that can be used during dungeon runs to help players earn badges and avoid expending effort on badges that have been 'missed' already.
Quizer

Postby The Avatar on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:41 am

I don't think that would be hard either. I don't know what it looks like because my menu crashes if I bring it up, but it sounds like they should just put a green check if it is already completed, and a red X if not completable.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Quizer on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Nice work on the latest update - this is exactly what I'm looking for! :D

Only the tooltips still need some work. Ideally, the tooltips would reflect the earnable/earned/missed status of badges as well. The descriptions of the badges being in past tense ("Reached Level 10"/"Didn't buy anything") bugs me a little. I think maybe they should be phrased differently ("Reach Level 10"/"Do not buy anything."), unless you actually earned the badge on your current run. Likewise, badges that have a red 'X' on them might say something like "The first monster you killed was not a higher level than you" or "You did not bring the Vicious Token with you".
Quizer

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons