Mance

Postby Bloggorus on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:34 am

How?

Seriously, WTF?

WWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFF?????
Bloggorus

Re: Mance

Postby Darvin on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:17 am

Mance has 1 hit point; all you need is to get unstoppable fury.

[edit] just occurred to me that the devs may have reused the Taurog tutorial boss name in one of the new challenge dungeons. Could you clarify if that's the case, because there is already a character called Mance with 999 damage and 1 hit point from the Taurog puzzles.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:38 am

As for the tri-quet boss, I combined whupaz with the orb of zot to take out 60% of his hp immediately, then used potions, then drac. My inventory before I fought the boss had dwarven gauntlets and elves boots, plus all of my potions (get feeling parched on the past two).

EDIT: I totally spaced my prepped platemail. It is super helpful. You can regen fight Teminn Lee, it almost halves the second bosses damage to you, and in combination with Lifesteal it puts Mance in some serious trouble.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Bloggorus on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:13 am

Thanks for that, i was talking about the tri-quest Mance.

I just came close using Drac, I probably just have to play smarter. I've been prepping the codex for massive fireballs, but i will try platemail.
Bloggorus

Postby Darvin on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:54 pm

My thoughts on Mance: he's a push-over who fights dirty.

Seriously, in my first playthrough he catches me off-guard with the sudden mana burn and health drain, so I answer with chaos avatar... and then he hits me with 15 corrosion and weakening, which quickly whittles me away since I lack any way to deal with it. Okay, second time around, and this time I'm packing WHUPAZ and the vampiric blade you Horatio wannabe. His drain hits at an inopportune time (I'd just used a schadenfreude), but I blast through. In comes the Earthmother's curse, which I answer with chaos avatar. Approaching the end I decide to gamble on last chance, which succeeds. It looks like I have enough resources left to do this with HALPMEH, and then he invokes GG item steal and it's game over. He catches me with a full tank of mana (19 mana - I had two mana boosts) but half-health, so I cannot proceed.

This sort of thing just pulls the rug out from the under the player in a very unfair manner, and being at the end of a 3-dungeon trial that's incredibly infuriating. Mance requires you to sequence your attack pattern specifically so you always have resources left over after each of his curses, without providing any forewarning of which resources he's going to take away from you or when. Once you know what's coming, though, there are more than enough resources you can accrue throughout this three-dungeon journey to smoke him and he's not really that tough. /rant

Proposed solutions: put signs in the dungeon that hint at what curses he invokes, and what health% he invokes them. The curse of Binlor is usually harmless, so it would hopefully tip the player off to check the other signs before the harsher ones hit.

Dracul would be very nice here, since you can get an absurd number of CP on that dwarf and sanguine could offer enormous sums of health (not to mention piety for blood swells), and this wouldn't be affected by the GG item steal. Too bad I seem draw nothing but JJ and Earthmother <_<
Darvin

Postby joek0 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:26 am

I got to the end of the Spider Script for the first time today. The boss Mance is a total BS boss. His God punishments and curses are a big pain. Are the god punishments in the same order every time? I was able to get to Man with all my HP and MP potions though. Also unlucky to not get Dracul. I will take the Platemail next time I play. Should the devs force Dracul to be in tri quest 1-3 or just scum for Dracul .

Also, any good hints the 2nd boss here. I can beat him if the right setup appears. What I hope for is a GG for cleansing or EM for slowing and MP. What are some good general tips for the second boss?
joek0

Postby Kestrel on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:04 am

Mance really isn't that tough, just uses cheap tricks. You can regen fight him with whatever items/glyphs/deities are available in the dungeon, and don't specifically have to have Dracul. I'd have beaten him blind on the first try if not for his last ability catching me totally off guard. Didn't even prep whupaz. Actually, in hindsight I should have seen that one coming, but I had low health / mana / piety and no way to recover. Think of what the worst possible god punishment could be and how to work around it.
Kestrel

Postby Kestrel on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:57 pm

Just ran triple quest #1 through, almost Faithless, for fun. Dwarven gauntlets was my prep item. I used a clearance or two from Earthmother on the second boss just because she was there, but finished with so many spare resources it didn't matter.

For the 2nd boss, the key is to level as high as possible, preferably to level 10. This gives more fireball damage and more efficient potions. You're an elf with a large mana pool, so just use some health pots and a Schadenfreude or two to refill, it works off retaliations too. As much as possible, avoid taking druids until the end.

For Mance, poison glyph, a vampiric blade, about 30% of the map's blackspace, and potions were enough to take him down (with no whupaz) at level 8-9.
Kestrel

Postby joek0 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. I guess you don't have to save every potion for Mance after all. I had so many leftover potions before the GG curse wiped me out. My failed run from before attempted to get by boss 2 feeling parched, but cost me with so many mistakes and gold that Mance tore me up. Also not knowing Mances's abilities screwed me over to. Boss 1 is easy enough to do feeling parched. Boss 2 may need a few potions. For boss 3, I will not pick up anything until GG inventory wipe. Finally, does anyone know when Mance hits you with the GG curse? I think it hits at around 300 HP left.
joek0

Postby Kestrel on Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:42 pm

The final curse fires under 250 hp afaik. I had 200 hp this run, and popped reflex/quicksilver just before the threshold and just tanked him the rest of the way down. Or you can poison him just before that and leave some blackspace. Or use deity powers. Or potions on the floor. It's just a really cheap trick because it's easy to work around if you know it's coming. The other two triple quests are fortunately better in this respect - but also much more difficult in terms of technique.
Kestrel

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons