Just to make things THAT much harder

All things Desktop Dungeons

Just to make things THAT much harder

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:20 am

This is a suggestion I came up with while looking at my map screen. I have only 100% beaten (That is all badges not all classes) 1 dungeon in the game. . .the Den of Danger.
But honestly it doesn't feel complete. I feel like there should be some great challenge thrown at you when you finish a dungeon so that you can finally say "Okay I have mastered this"
The simple solution is a mission popping up when you get the last badge that requires you to go into the dungeon prepping the vicious token and nothing else.
A viscous purist mission that would maybe give a gold reward (or even better an aesthetic reward of some sort) that would allow you to get that final sense of "beating" that dungeon.

You could make it even more hilarious by removing (or reducing) shop/god/booster spawns but that would probably make several of the dungeons (or all of them?) impossible. Heck as far as I know a lot of dungeons might be impossible with the viscous token unless you have a preps as is. . .

But who needs possible victory when you have certain defeat?

Obviously this is something that people can do anyway on their own. . .but I think it would be cooler with a mission.
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Re: Just to make things THAT much harder

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 am

I like the idea but im not in favour of more escalation in difficulty. Putting a peg on going purist vicious will put the goalposts so far beyond most players it will put them off.

As a player that has been playing a long time, i doubt i would ever finish a vicious dungeon purist.

I say increase the number of challenges like 100% completion that require many short games instead of one extended campaign to complete a single challenge.

The fact that you have finished that dungeon 100% means its something you enjoyed, and id say that every player does the same thing.
Bloggorus

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:25 am

You are probably right.

It was just a thought. I very much enjoy EVERY dungeon (except maybe the western jungle as I find that boss's ability more annoying than challenging) though I certainly haven't beaten them all even once yet. I got 100% in the Den more because of the quests there than any other reason. They have a very high payout and the den seems like a natural place to try out new classes.

getting true (every dungeon all classes and badges) 100% completion in this game would be a pretty crazy feat. I mean if you NEVER lost, and managed to get all the badges just along the way it is still more than 500 runs including challenge runs.
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Lujo on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:24 am

100% completion of everything takes a huge ammount of time. It's incredibly satisfying, though, and gives the game great longevity for the right sort of person.

But purist vicious stuff could probably only be done with severe scumming for the optimal setup if even then. Not sure, but it'd be pretty much out of a regular players hands. If not any players. If it's doable it probably means somethign isn't right with balance...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:47 pm

Yeah. Then if you hit purist vicious vicious you would not have a shot.

As for 100% completion, I'm actually not that close. I have 100 on the vicious dungeons (or 108 with the extra stuff), but I never really found the time for hard and normal completion.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:54 pm

I too have wanted some kind of capstone to dungeon completion. Not necessarily a special challenge (although I like the idea), but some kind of special non-gold prize. We're in feature freeze now as the devs are trying to get this finished, so any discussion about it is just for fun.

Here are some ideas I've had (that won't get implemented but there's no harm in dreaming):

1) Adds a slot to the Packmaster (TM) Vault. This isn't a feature that's going to make it, but I still think that a mod or mod-like implementation could happen.

2) Unlocks "sandbox mode" for that dungeon. I really like this idea, even though it's out of both the design budget and design philosophy. The idea is that once you demonstrate total mastery over a dungeon, you get some sort of optional mode where you can control which altars, glyphs, and stores appear in the dungeon. The whole thing would just be for laughs and experiments with wonky combinations; you shouldn't be allowed to gain gold for playing in sandbox mode.

3) You get some visual thingie in your kingdom, like an appropriately themed statue or something. One of the devs mentioned that they had outside plans for some kind of visual reward for completion milestones, but that it was low priority and likely too expensive to make the cut. Seeing the amount of work that getting the basic kingdom interface up and running has been, I don't think this one is going to get out of the cutting room.
Sidestepper

Return to Desktop Dungeons