Questions About the DD Alpha Version

Talk to QCF .. we love to hear from you

Questions About the DD Alpha Version

Postby Diamondragan on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:23 am

Alpha versions are known for being "bad" or, at the most, "unpolished". After giving it a few shots, however, I feel like I am either missing the point somewhere or just plain bad at the game. This has provoked a few questions:

1. Is it literally possible to complete a level in alpha?

2. Are enemies supposed to regenerate? (the tutorial goat seems to have given an unrealistic example of the game)

3. As a summary, what has been done with the beta to improve it from its available alpha form?

I know the alpha version will not be receiving updates and I'm not here asking for a free game. I just hope the forum community can give me a better understanding of what the game used to be and what it is currently. I might also be fishing for alpha tips. Alpha tips would be appreciated.
Diamondragan

Re: Questions About the DD Alpha Version

Postby Galefury on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:21 pm

The alpha is playable and winnable, and I had a huge amount of fun with it.

Enemies regenerate when you reveal unexplored tiles, just like you do.

The new version has a lot of graphical and accessibility improvements. And while the character classes and spells are the same as in the alpha (with some adjustments) there are a huge amount of new enemies, dungeons and items. Also there is an overarching metagame which lets you progressively unlock all these classes, dungeons and items. The metagame ("kingdom") also offers various preparations that make the dungeon run easier, for example by letting you start the dungeon with certain items. Overall it's a much smoother experience, and while the gameplay is much better than in the alpha in every respect, it's still the same game overall.
Galefury

Postby dislekcia on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:54 pm

Hah, well described Galefury :)

Regarding the alpha->beta differences: Loads of balance and playability changes. There's a whole combat prediction system in the game now, so less maths. Glyphs have more effects and have had their behaviors changed in many ways to add to the game and their flexibility/application in many ways. The classes are more balanced (we finally feel like we fixed the transmuter and the vampire, for instance) and there's a whole class challenge system that helps you learn classes and then really test your understanding of them. Then there are the puzzles, quests and dungeon unlocks.

It's a bigger, better, more fun game all around. We've also made a lot of changes to how the levels are generated too.
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:01 pm

Also, there is a MUCH better tutorial system and some easier dungeons, so you won't be left wondering if it is possible to win.

Still, the biggest beta thing for me was SO MUCH MORE CONTENT. Seriously, the alpha is quite large if played to its full extent, but the beta is massive.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby berpdreyfuss on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:34 pm

I remember not beating a level for some time in the alpha. Like Avatar said, the beta has easier dungeons to start with, the difficulty in the alpha starts rather high.
Some things I that seemed rather important for me to learn in the beginning:
- Try to get higher level kills for the experience bonus. I remember I relied heavily on finding the fireball for that.
- Convert the glyphs you won't use.
- Pactmaker is a not too complicated god that will benefit you.

Keep on playing, a lot of the fun in this game is to get better step by step and don't feel bad about dying a lot, it is totally normal.
berpdreyfuss

Return to General Discussion