Game inspired by Desktop Dungeons

Talk to QCF .. we love to hear from you

Re: Game inspired by Desktop Dungeons

Postby The Avatar on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:09 pm

I finally managed to beat that challenge. Quite a tricky one, I'll be honest.

Can you uploaded the version with the fixed bugs? Once I can (and have) gotten the last 2 achievements I will do my write up for this version giving a concise, organized version of what I'm thinking.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Nurator on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:25 am

I uploaded a new version with bugs fixed. There actually was a bug involving the dungeonmark tree, but in another way than you thought^^ anyway its gone now :D

Extermination new counts down when you level Raz up.
Extreme Gardening is now possible too

I hope there are no more dealbreaking bugs now :)

Looking forward to your write up :)

And where is Raz? I thought he would be interested in this game aswell, I even PMed him^^ Some more feedback from other guys would be great aswell... do you know some who might be interested?
Nurator

Postby Raz on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:44 pm

Sorry, been a hectic couple weeks. Hopefully i'll have some time over the weekend to check out the latest update.
Raz

Postby The Avatar on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:40 pm

Okay, here comes my thoughts.

1. I quite like the new equipment and stat organization, but the combat predictor (while more information heavy), is much harder to follow. It is much harder to tell at a glance what is going to happen.
2. The wizard and battlemage seem rather powerful, especially since my wizard can almost infinitely hurl fireballs without ever having to attack. What that means is levels become more about hitting the trickshot achievements (like Poser) instead of the straight up fighting achievements (like OP Priest). Also, one small change for door smasher is make it have to be physical attacks. If you missed either one, you can just go back with a wizard and effectively cheat it.
3. The new dungeon is great! It took a little while to figure out how the corruption worked, but after that it was great.
4. You said I would want trees for the next dungeon (right?), but I still am not sure what they actually do (other than commemorate achievement).
5. The boss fight was awesome. One small thing is it was almost impossible to run out of resources. Your class either literally could not win (because you couldn't beat a form before he leveled), or always would (misclicks ignored). If you can change that (add more full refills and don't make them respawn?), it would be even better.
6. I liked the ending after the boss fight. It was so out of the blue I laughed.
7. A few more bugs. I exited corrupted forest 4 as an assassin with a dagger and all of the icons on the town map (the little class sprites, the heart, the chalices, etc) were on the world map. The quest was also not completed. Then when I went back into town, my road had completely disappeared... Also, is beating assassin challenge with platemail and staff actually possible?

I can't wait for the next update. I assume holes in the world mean rifts are coming?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Nurator on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:11 am

thanks for the write up!
1.There seem to be a lot of complains about the Combat Prediction... I will think about that^^
2.Yeah Wizard feels too powerful to me too. But only if you were the right equip. The idea of Door Smasher was to show the immense ability of armorignore (kinda in the Wizard Challenge aswell)
3. Thanks :) I still like the idea^^
4. I am not really sure what to do with the trees. For now they will just beautify your city (like the better roads), but they are supposed to unlock secret levels.
5. The boss is beatable with all 4 classes ;-) Did you always use all 4 to make him have lower HP?
6. :) Yep rifts are coming^^
7. Thats some kind of racing condition... There are some of them. Something was too fast then another thing couldnt really complete and then the script crashed -.- Unity is very stable so you could just play further but that is annoying...

I am now concentrating more on my master thesis. I have no idea when the nex update will come. Hopefully in a few weeks but I cant guarantee anything. But I will definitely continue on it :)
Nurator

Postby The Avatar on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:15 pm

4. I like the idea of trees unlocking levels.
5. The only instance where I couldn't always win was Poser. That could only be done by the wizard.

Anyways, you do all of the work you need to do, and just get to the game whenever you can.

The Avatar

Postby Raz on Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:27 pm

After seemingly weeks of lost wandering... I finally found myself! :P
Raz seems a bit of a bastard (which is fitting I suppose :twisted: )...
I have beaten him with Battlemage only so far. Wizard attempt bare handed got nowhere (kept leveling Raz up- only being able to deal magical damage to 'that' form). Warrior got nowhere also- only being able to deal physical damage ends up leveling Raz up.
Neither one "Died", just got stuck in a loop between boss forms (Raz levels up, knock him down only to have him level back up/repeat..). Perhaps Avatars idea of limiting health pack respawns would end the loop (ending in player death/forfeit instead).

Corruption nuances took some time to sink in (what they do to player/opponent is not immediately obvious despite descriptions in opponents combat panel :oops: ). Took some time for it to sink in that Raz was getting overhealed by left over health packs also (in spite of him telling me so.. :oops: ).

I don't seem to be as persistent as Avatar. Don't have the persistence to blindly try every class with every combo of weapon/armor. Haven't tried Warrior with staff to try to deal magic damage with him yet... (hmm..). 'edit' - Just tried that and succeeded! :lol:
Bare hands has not worked out, can't deal any physical damage to 'that' form.

I can't find a way to beat assassin challenge with staff and plate either.. leaves assassin at level 2 for me. Warrior also stuck at level 2 (need to reach 36 attack but not sure where/how/combo to do that with). Dagger also stuck at level 3 (level 2 assassin with level 3 dagger can't seem to beat Raz, just keeps leveling up his physical damage form with # of attacks needed).
Perhaps some hints at what to pay attention to or what combos to try and when for us non persistent types who still would like to make progress (probably to come a bit later in development..).

Also perplexed about Trees. Are these to visually 'fill in' the town area to make it seem more revealed/completed?
What is the "New Roads" marker intended to do? Seems like an empty achievement at this point. Another visual upgrade to town perhaps?

The new player info panel is much more informative. Took a bit of experimenting to get familiar with how it worked but eventually got used to it and it seems to function well. Found a 'Villager' class somehow while in assassin challenge. :?

:idea: It seems that clicking on the red crossed swords markers that state needed achievements to reveal them should/could take you to that "dungeon" with required class/combo to win the achievement. This would be more intuitive I think than having to track down the right dungeon and recall what class/weapon/armor was needed for that achievement.

Thoughts on Combat prediction... It is there but is not very obvious/intuitive. Perhaps having it run straight down the left side of the area it is in for the player and the right side for opponent rather than top-left, bottom-left, top-right, bottom-right in a square and then the same right below for opponent in same zig-zag/square configuration as it is now (too many directional shifts in calculation makes it awkward to follow at a glance). Also, if possible, show a different level of shading on the health bar to indicate result after next attack (like in DD).
Raz

Postby Nurator on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:27 am

Thanks for the Feedback! No problem that you took your time, its not like you are getting paid to play the game :D

The next update is already planned in my head. The combat prediction will get clearer, rifts will open and much more :)

But it will take a while for me to update, I am knee deep in master thesis work. ^^

To your questions:
-Leveling up Raz shouldnt revive all healthpacks, thats true... that would fit better
-Assassin Challenge with Staff might be impossible... I will check into that^^
-36 attack is possible ;-)
-Dagger Lvl 4 needs to win Lvl 4 of Corrupted Forest, not 5 ! (I hope)
-Trees and New Roads are visual fillers. But trees will also unlock new dungeons and abilities later^^ When you click on the New Roads Achievement you can see the small number change on the roads. Thats another picture, so I just need to change the picture and the City looks awesome^^
-Taking you directly to a dungeon is a good idea and easy to implement!
-Combat Prediction will look awesome next time^^

How did you guys like the army you had to slice through? Thats my favourite level so far :)
Nurator

Postby Raz on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Fighting through the army was pretty cool! Required some thought/preplanning on a scale not seen before. I was actually VERY surprised when I killed them ALL!
Battle Mage seems like he is a VERY tough character. Full mana recharge for EACH physical attack (no matter how small) seems a bit OP, but fun to play :)

Got the 36 damage one (assassin/dagger/leather- abandoned hut 5) :D
Also got dagger to level 4 (it was assassin/dagger- corrupted forest 4), my bad. :oops:

1 more note..
When using the small buttons in the info panel for combat (instead of clicking on opponent graphic) the combat transition texts between boss forms gets skipped. Noticed fighting Raz with wizard/barehand.

Are you doing this entirely by yourself? Is there some way to assist you with tile sets/graphics of any sort? I am not too experienced with graphics, but would like to give it a shot if there is a way. Do they need to be in a certain format/size to be used? Perhaps I should do a bit of research into Unity.. :geek:

btw, what's the Master Thesis on?
Raz

Postby Nurator on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:20 pm

Ok cool :) Crushing an army feels awesome :D

Thanks for the bug with the small buttons. You can click on the bigger achievement aswell, but the button will trigger one speech text... yeah that sucks, I will look into that.

I am doing this completely alone :) The difficult part is over. Now I can just use an awesome system to implement new content^^.It would be really really awesome if someone could help me with graphics :) The format is pretty simple. The worldmap and citymap are just big pictures in 1024*768. The inlevel tilesets should be 32*32. For now I used free tilesets from the internet. You can find a lot there :)

A professional artist would be even better. But for now I dont invest any money, so I couldnt pay him. Maybe something with shared profits, I dont know. Or being part of some kind of game studio :)

My master thesis is about denoising pictures without losing defining edges on a 3D-MALDI-Imaging system. Thats some kind of medical device that gives you a 3D-picture of cancer. But the machine produces very much noise so you need to extract the real details without destroying the shape or volume of the cancer. Mathematics^^
Nurator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion