[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Suggestion: At some point, abolish money; Also, encyclopedia

Suggestion: At some point, abolish money; Also, encyclopedia

All things Desktop Dungeons

Suggestion: At some point, abolish money; Also, encyclopedia

Postby fall_ark on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Disclaimer: These suggestions are in no way complaints about the current version. I'd be happy to see them in the final version though.

1. At some point, abolish preparation cost / Kingdom gold altogether

I'm currently at the point where money doesn't really matter anymore -- all available upgrades bought, all dungeons unlocked. Only one or two special mission left. With more than 7000 gold sitting in the bank, I really can't see myself doing anything for money. And if I did ~30 runs trying to beat some impossible dungeon losing ~200 preparation gold everytime, and finally drop under, say 500 gold, I'd simply do some grinding in a normal or easy dungeon. Yet the very thought of spending money make me cringe. That's not fun.

Although the full game will no doubt provide tons of more stuffs to buy, upgrade and prepare, the simple truth is: a) At one point kingdom money will have no other use than preparation. b) The pressure of grinding/preparation cost discourages the player from trying new race/class/preparation/dungeon combinations, especially weird and outlandish things that challenges common sense.

Preparation is a headache. And weird things are fun. Trying new things and dying in different ways are fun. Having to worry about the cost of dying, is not.

Therefore I humbly suggest that in the final version, at certain point of the game -- say, when all (or maybe 90% or something) of kingdom upgrades are done, and you have more than maybe 5000 or 10000 gold -- have an option/upgrade to abolish kingdom gold or preparation cost. Like, 10000 gold for the upgrade "Sustainable Economy" that fixes the preparation cost to 0.

Same logic applies to locker items -- but other players have indeed raised the concern and there's not much to add.

2. In-game Encyclopedia, of monsters, items, deities and everything

Nothing too special. Just an in-game encyclopedia/gallery/catalogue/handbook sort of thing that allows you to view monster stats, item properties, race and class descriptions, deity details, etc. anytime and anywhere you want.

It could be gradually unlockable, like revealing the complete stats of a monster requires killing them 100 times or something (3 or 4 times for bosses). Angering/Being punished by deities reveals the specific rule in the handbook. Beating a certain dungeon several times reveals some info like the enemy types it spawns, the special sub-dungeons and events, etc. etc..

Basically the majority of the contents, the more common stuffs, should all be cleared by the time the "building/expanding" stage of the game is done. The remaining stuffs should correspond nicely with the harder dungeons and challenges, providing some extra incentives for players to complete them. 'Cos you know, when players see a percentage, they want to see it at 100%.

Plus it'd be super helpful and provide a change in pace/a little break. Sure it's basically a not-so-complete in-game wiki, but it'd be really nice.

Anyway, that's my two cents! Now for dreaming, I wish there's kind of a customizable "misclick alert" menu in the game, so I won't die accidentally, or piss of Glowing Guardian when I forgot about something....that might be too spoon-feeding though. Players may soon ask for a regret button....
fall_ark

Re: Suggestion: At some point, abolish money; Also, encyclop

Postby Galefury on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:37 pm

I suggested something similar to your first point a while ago. But it seems my post was too long for people to actually read, and it also included some other stuff. I agree that preparations should become free at some point to silence that pesky nagging voice in my head telling me not to spend so much of my entirely useless gold. Even if gold was still useful late in the game preparations should be free to encourage experimentation and fun and eliminate the possible need to grind just to be able to play with the preparations you are used to.
Galefury

Postby Intoxicatious on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:25 pm

I, too, would like a bestiary. Currently, we are not allowed to mouse-over an enemy and then mouse-over cetain traits of said enemy. I would definitely raise my hand for an encyclopedia built into the game. Why did I have to be afflicted by corrosion for the first time to find out what it does and that leveling doesn't get rid of it?
Intoxicatious

Postby PeaceChaser on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:40 pm

I almost started a post similar to both of these topics. However, I disagree with your approach to kingdom money. I think there could be clever ways to put cash sinks into the game that you could perpetually spend money on, like an increasing cost to open up more locker slots, slightly increased conversion efficiencies on races (maybe?) at a point or two per purchase, etc.

Definitely thumbs up on the bestiary though.
PeaceChaser

Re: Suggestion: At some point, abolish money

Postby MeVII on Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:38 pm

Greetings:

The abolition of kingdom gold would be an inappropriate solution.
The goal should be overcoming kingdom gold obsolescence by creating more things to do with it.

"A game is a series of interesting choices." - Sid Meier

Also, as mere coincidence (the above quote and this example), Civilization was one of the first games to include an in game "Civlopedia". I not only agree that DTD should definitely add an equivalent, but such in game information databases should really be a standard for all games.
The idea to my mind, ranks up there with the idea that everything in all games should either have roll-over tool-tip help, or right click help, or best of both, roll-over tool-tips that when right clicked on open expanded details (in the game encyclopedia) for the clicked upon object.

MeVII
MeVII

Postby PeaceChaser on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:20 pm

PeaceChaser

Postby MeVII on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:23 pm

MeVII

Postby Intoxicatious on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:30 pm

It's a shame that most games today rely on user generated wikis (which are online even when the game is offline) for basic information. Some games don't even include an instruction manual or in-game training.

On that note, I still think this game would benefit from more puzzles in the Explorers' Guild that have to do with appeasing/not upsetting gods.
Intoxicatious

Postby fall_ark on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:15 pm

fall_ark

Postby MeVII on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:32 am

MeVII

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons