How to Earn Kingdom Gold?

All things Desktop Dungeons

How to Earn Kingdom Gold?

Postby Cydira on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:15 pm

So, I have the full version because I wanted to support the developers. I don't have much time to play (or read wikis, sadly, though I did try). I'm also not very good at the game, though it is fun for me.

How can I earn gold for my kingdom (besides the puzzle packs, which I am terrible at)? I can't seem to earn anything from random dungeon runs and I'm not good enough to kill the level 10 creatures, so I leave early.

Any advice would be appreciated. (Besides "quit" or "get better" or the like.)

Thanks in advance!
Cydira

Re: How to Earn Kingdom Gold?

Postby Incompetent on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:01 pm

The main source of income is winning runs. You get kingdom gold for:

Money and items your character carries out (you get these even if you chicken out, as long as you don't get killed, but you don't get much from this)
Completing a quest (usually several hundred gold)
The boss trophy (diminishing returns - price goes down the more of the same trophy you get, but starts around 300g)
Completing a dungeon with a new class (50g each time)
Obtaining a badge for the first time on a dungeon (10-50g)

As for how to win runs while you are still learning the ropes, one beginner strategy is to run Hobbler's Hold repeatedly, as it's a lot easier than a normal game. Once you can win that dungeon with ease, move onto the normal dungeons. (This effectively locks out Hobbler's Hold as a source of income, but don't worry, you'll get much better returns from doing quests and so on in the normal dungeons.) Once you are able to complete 'normal' difficulty runs, you should have plenty of money coming in.

It's normal to lose a lot of runs when you're starting out. Although it's a 'quick' game in that each run only takes a few minutes, Desktop Dungeons is actually a difficult and complex game that takes a long time to master.
Incompetent

Postby jimcooley on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:44 am

There's also bonus gold for completing a dungeon with half of all the classes (including the monster classes, so 9) and bonus gold for completing a dungeon with all of the classes
jimcooley

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 am

try bronze class challenges. they are actually great for teaching you ideas on how to play. They pay less than normal runs, but the 4 starting classes bronze runs might get you winning runs.
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Return to Desktop Dungeons