[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - I made a video!

I made a video!

All things Desktop Dungeons

I made a video!

Postby TheSchachter on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:43 am

So, I've mentioned before that I was considering attempting to make a Let's Play of the game, to showcase an advanced player going through it and all that. Well, I've been doing practice video commentaries and I finally have one that doesn't make me want to punch myself in the face! =D

There's some sloppy playing in there (Jay was certainly right when he said that your brain sometimes fails when trying to commentate at the same time sa playing), but overall it's a quite successful run of a Purist Human Fighter going through Doubledoom parched. Apologies for the silly mistakes and laziness, as well as for my poor diction and roughness of the video overall. I'm still figuring things out and I don't have any experience with this stuff, but I wanted to have people's opinions on whether this kind of video could be interesting and worthy of a full recorded playthrough...

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9bVUNb9AfE

Later plans for this video and possibly others like it include adding annotations to the video to highlight mistakes I made and stuff I missed, which will help me improve my play and add an extra layer of commentary for viewers. That is, if people like the video and all that :P

Please let me know what you thought, criticism is welcomed! Additionally, if you have any advice for using youtube/game recording software/etc. please share!

Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Re: I made a video!

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:10 am

I liked the video! There are going to be a ton of exploratory "let's look at" videos coming out, but what I think will be sorely missing are videos of high level play. My advice is to unapologetically try to fill that role.

And here comes the critical feedback. Keep in mind that I thought your play was very high level, it's just that DD is a very complex game and there are always things you could have done better.

I appreciated little things like how you tried to preserve bloodpools on the off chance that Dracul or the Blood Fountain appeared. I'm glad you noticed your mistake with IMAWAL. That sort of thing happens, it's okay.

At around 10:55 or so, when you first started in on Gob, you emptied your mana and dinged off of popcorn without using your health resources. You should have used it to soften up some of the midlevel monsters to make them more "edible" during your next pass. I like to call this technique "cooking the popcorn."

I disagreed with our decision to use your Refreshment mana on Gob. I think that a ding would have been better. That way you could have spent the mana while at a higher level, where it is more valuable.

I would have gone ahead and burned all of the black space after Gob to uncover resources and claim any remaining "hard xp." Frank was doing 82 damage and you were doing 64. He has more "regen power" (i.e. level*damage) than you do. Magic would have given you a slight edge, but that exploration was probably better spent trying to engineer another level up. By 15:55 you were casting about trying to find a way to get that last level up, but if you had killed off the zombie-9 and the other high level monsters, you would have had both more experience and more free popcorn. You probably could have gotten the post-ten level up.
Sidestepper

Postby FDru on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:21 am

Are you Canadian? You sound Canadian.

Anyway, I make it a point to kill off all gorgons early when possible since they are useless popcorn. High level goblins are next order of business.

What you probably want to hear: your video was informative and entertaining and you commented well in it. I would watch more but prefer seeing high level play.
FDru

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:54 pm

I liked the video Schatcher. I hope you keep going with the series.
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby lorgon111 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:51 pm

Whoa, I look forward to getting that far along.

I think there are folks who would really like this kind of content, but the audience is limited for high-level play... I've played a bit of the game, but I don't know what a 'Purist' is yet, for example. It's a tough call on whether (and how much) time to spend introducing any of the concepts to the unfamiliar/uninitiated, but I think perhaps you could significantly broaden the audience/appreciation (broadened out to anyone who knows the game) with a one-minute intro about the basics of the race/class you're using, and what's special about the dungeon, so that viewers like me can keep up better.
See my Desktop Dungeons playlist at http://www.youtube.com/user/lorgon111
lorgon111

Postby TheSchachter on Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:46 am

Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:21 pm

http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby berpdreyfuss on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:47 pm

I really liked your video. Nice to see that level of play with very good commentary, well done! Definitely do more!
berpdreyfuss

Return to Desktop Dungeons