[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - someone please explain gods to me

someone please explain gods to me

All things Desktop Dungeons

someone please explain gods to me

Postby Lord0fHam on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:46 am

I just got the game and have unlocked my first god, Mystera. Will someone please explain to me how gods work? Do the effects you get from worshipping carry over into other runs?I just need the basics about how gods and piety work and the in-game challenge thing didn't help much. thanks in advance.
Lord0fHam

Re: someone please explain gods to me

Postby Incompetent on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:33 pm

The wiki gives a good summary of likes, dislikes, boons, punishments, and popular strategies for each god. Alternatively, just try doing things you think that your god might like or dislike, and see what happens. Once you learn an approved or disapproved action, it will be revealed in your in-game guide.

Basically, think of piety as your spiritual bank account. It can never go below 0, and it has a maximum of 100 (unless you take Consensus from the Pactmaker, in which case the maximum is 50).

You earn it by walking on the ring of sparkles around an altar (each god has its own colour sparkles, for instance Mystera's are purple, but you get +1 piety for any sparkles, regardless of which deity if any you are following), by performing actions your god approves of, as a sign-up bonus for certain gods, and from the special Consensus deal you can make with the Pactmaker (a special type of god).

You spend it by asking for boons, converting to a different religion (lose half your piety, and you must have 50 to convert), Pacts, and on actions that your god disapproves of. You get punished by your god if you cannot afford to pay the piety cost of a disapproved action, and by any god if you commit a serious sin against that god (usually desecrating their altar).

None of this carries forward from one run to the next; the only thing that affects future runs is unlocking a new god, whose altar can then randomly spawn in any standard run. If you upgrade the Church, you can force a particular god's altar to spawn as a preparation, but there are drawbacks for doing this.
Incompetent

Postby Lujo on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Everything Incompetent said, but to stress one thing - you can't go below zero, but if you do something your god doesn't like and would have to go below 0 because of it you will be punished by the god (punishments differ in severity).

You can also desecrate altars of other gods for piety but then you get unished by them as soon as you do it. This is sometimes crippling and sometimes inconsequential depending on your race/class and strategy (and can in fact be very useful).

Piety gained doesn't carry over between runs.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Lord0fHam on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:39 am

Thanks guys that really helped and I'll take a look at the wiki.
Lord0fHam

Postby Signal on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:15 am

A general addendum: The only long-term consequences of a run are unlocking things and gold--not just for gods, but for *everything*. There's no way to screw up severely in this game, be it with gods, sub-dungeons, items, etc., so experimentation is highly rewarded.

Unless you count unlocking wussy non-TAUROG gods as screwing up severely. Which it is, but at least you'll have some useless altars to kick over.
Signal

Postby Urthop on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:41 pm

Figured I'd squeeze this question in here since it's kinda topical. Just unlocked Dracul (with a Warlord of all things, immediately found out the hard way that that's not an ideal combo :lol:) and while doing his puzzles I seemed to sometimes have more defense then at other times, example, the boss of the first puzzle should hit for 7, and does without any boons, but after having the extra life from a life drain, was only hitting for 5. Is this a hidden Dracul feature?
Urthop

Postby The Avatar on Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Uh, that's just how lifesteal works. He hits for 7, then you hit for X and recover 2 hp (making it look like he did 5). Lifesteal blocks one damage per your level for each level of it. So a level 8 with 6 lifesteal would block 48 damage
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Urthop on Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:15 pm

Urthop

Postby Darvin on Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Darvin

Postby Sidestepper on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Another awesome thing about Life Steal is that it happens after your resistances. This synergy is so powerful that they had to add a resistance-hating side effect to the Blood Hunger boon. Vampires with high resistances or Monks armed with the Vampiric Blade can do terrifying things.
Sidestepper

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons