[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Advisor Tasks

Advisor Tasks

All things Desktop Dungeons

Advisor Tasks

Postby Darvin on Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:26 am

I find the "get corroded" and "get weakened" advisor tasks to be a bit over the top. These tasks require you to incur an onerous number of stack, and most dungeons don't have any source of weakening or corrosion. Combined with the fact that you will usually avoid weakening and corrosion, this makes them nearly impossible to fulfill in a reasonable amount of time with natural play. I've currently got an advisor task for 106 stacks of corrosion, that's just too much!

However, both of these debuff tasks are exceedingly easy to clear if you're underhanded about it. Prep Earthmother on Ick Swamp and start clear-cutting and you'll rack up hundreds of points of corrosion in under a minute. For weakening, take a dwarf monk into Den of Danger with a Tikki Tooki prep. Find a level 1 meatman and wrestle with him until Tikki has sufficiently weakened you to clear the task.

I don't think corrosion and weakening are working out well for advisor tasks, and I think you should remove them from the rotation.
Darvin

Re: Advisor Tasks

Postby The Avatar on Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:03 pm

Agreed. The only time I've cleared them without "cheating" (as in your above methods), was when I played the second triple quest and paladin gold a bunch.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:18 am

You do not have to get all of those debuffs in one run.

If you really want to scum a task for the amount of gold it gives you, I guess that's cool :)
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:36 am

Yes, but racking up 109 corrosion between more than one run is still ridiculous, seeing as many dungeons don't even corrosion. That means if you want an applicable advisor task without playing for a very long time you have to scum.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:42 am

honestly. . .the adviser tasks are like the most tacked on thing in the game. I mean is it honestly worth it pay attention to this? Right now I've just been treating it as a "okay sometimes I get a little extra money" thing.
Am I missing something here, are there item unlocks, or like substantial gold amounts unlocked at some point? I mean this won't even cover the costs of mid-level preparations generally.
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby The Avatar on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:18 am

Eh, no. It is just a bit of an annoyance on my part. The most reward I've seen was about 150 gold (which I got by spending 1500 on preparations).

The Avatar

Postby Wargasm on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:06 pm

I like them conceptually, as it's a little extra money now and then from things that - more or less - are going to happen anyhow. I've had "petrify enemies" and "Goo Blob hunt" sitting around for days, but they'll eventually happen. When I stop hanging around VHoS and Dragon Isles which are both full of one-tile-wide passages, bricking things will be a lot more realistic as a goal. I guess if I were of a mindset that I needed to actively pursue the tasks rather than just let them happen whenever, I could see how I might get annoyed with how long some were taking.
Wargasm

Postby Nurator on Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:25 pm

I think It would be a lot cooler, if these tasks really tried to show you some game mechanics that you didnt master before. Such a task could be:
-Get a mid fight level up while fighting a boss
-Regenerate 10 tiles while fighting the same enemy
-Kill a monster 3 level above you

or something like that.
Nurator

Postby The Avatar on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:50 pm

The top and bottom of those suggestions are achievements. Of course, whether you consider it valid to make achievements teaching tools when only steam players have access to them is an entirely different argument.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:32 am

Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons