[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Gaan-Telet Victory Thread

Gaan-Telet Victory Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Gaan-Telet Victory Thread

Postby OneMoreNameless on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:12 am

This is impressive to exactly zero of the beta players I imagine, but I'm bragging anyway.

This afternoon I sat down for what was on a technicality* my first attempt at completing the Tower of Gaan-Telet. My champion: a goblin assassin with no better plan than to hope for a Wicked Guitar and then out-level the first two subdungeons. This quickly and predictably failed on both fronts. With blackspace running thin from poison use, I surrendered ... to despair, and began throwing out physical resources in an attempt to at least kneel before Horatio so that my blood might spite his hooves. With every tile revealed, every popcorn chewed, and nothing more than a few health potions, two worn glyphs of bitter venom and vengeful flames, and some dinky standard equipment to his name, Homice Huffpuff faced down the great economic ruiner.

It was only for a few moments that the sound of chipped horn and sloshing potions could be heard. Then a bloodied squelch as a once-great hero was casually gutted and fell to the very precipice of death. It was no surprise to Horatio that the hero then excused himself to make his peace at the nearest Altar. It was, perhaps, a little more of a surprise when the hero returned with good health and the stink of the Guardian upon him, to be gutted once more. And again. And again. And then the sound of pissing on stone and otherworldly curses. And again. And then the smug little prick stripped naked and that somehow knitted together whatever organ Horatio had been up to goring. At which point the Final Boss decided he'd had enough of this nonsense, tossed the idiot a shiny spoon to distract him, then teleported away into his other, better guarded tower and that was pretty much the end of that.

* A bug stopped my 0th run, it is void.
OneMoreNameless

Re: Gaan-Telet Victory Thread

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:39 pm

Beating Gaan-Telet for the first time (and on your first try!) is great. Congratulations! :)

Welcome to the beginning of the game.
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Big gratz on epic run with epic writeup! Curious to what your next exploit will be now that you're done with the rather extensive tutorial ;)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Wargasm on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:59 pm

I'm having runs of bad luck in VGT. Get Balanced Dagger, then get the "enlightenment" room, followed by the "confidence" room. Yeah, I can't take that many L10's in a row, even with Bloodmage (of MA - if I'd had Dracul, maybe.) Might try that again, or Dragon Shield Crusader w/Dracul or Binlor and stack resists. VGT was the one thing I never finished even on my original profile.
Wargasm

Postby The Avatar on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:16 pm

The single easiest (and most unique) VGT run is Vampire.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Darvin on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Well done; the Assassin isn't as bad for Gaan-Telet as it first appears. Instead of trying to out-level the monsters (which is just not in the cards) instead pick them off with poison when you still have top-level exploration left. This conserves top-level popcorn for later. As a first-striking character, the Assassin actually is quite efficient as the difficulty (and damage!) increases. Personally I'd take human over Goblin given the strong focus on higher-level combat.

For those considering vicious Gaan-Telet, try the Human Transmuter. That's a lot of bonus damage you can rack up. Even in hard Gaan-Telet you can easily hit over 250 damage on a spirit sword charge-up. In the longer vicious dungeon, I'd imagine hitting for 300 or higher would be in the cards.
Darvin

Postby Wargasm on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:00 pm

I forgot VGT's boss stats, so I'm not sure if resist whoring is going to get me anywhere or not. I seem to recall hoping for Martyr Wraps on old runs. But yeah, I can see where Vampire would be huge since you probably get like 9-10 levels of lifesteal.
Wargasm

Postby The Avatar on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:12 pm

I won't spoil the boss' stats, but I promise resists are ESSENTIAL.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Wargasm on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Wargasm

Return to Desktop Dungeons