[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - PQI vs Burning Dungeons

PQI vs Burning Dungeons

All things Desktop Dungeons

PQI vs Burning Dungeons

Postby OneMoreNameless on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:19 pm

Both the random 'Perpetual Questing Initiative' quests and the changing 'Dungeon That Happens To Be On Fire And Also This Is Somehow A Good Thing' appear to serve the same purpose - to give postgame players some further direction (and income) for their adventures. It's nice to have options to choose from if you don't overly feel like trudging through dungeon X at the moment, but when compared side by side the two systems feel a little unbalanced.

The PQI awards you 500 extra gold for winning a specific dungeon, using a specific race / class, and achieving a specific badge. This can often result in quite tricky combinations, especially when you consider that the quest will most likely ask you for a class or badge you haven't won with yet because it's difficult (or you're poor with it) in that dungeon.

The burning dungeon, meanwhile, allows you to use or repeat any class or tactics you want without a target challenge. Yet it still awards you 450 extra gold* for what is in practice a significantly easier task. Unless the PQI happened to overlap with some other unfinished quest, or indeed the burning dungeon itself, I can't imagine it feeling worth the trouble of checking with the rewards for each as they currently are.

Perhaps the gold rewards could be adjusted further apart?

* Compared to a nonburning dungeon both prepped with 'Bet on Boss', because unless you explicitly need the purist badge for the first time why wouldn't you ... which honestly feels like its own obvious-choice problem most of the time.
OneMoreNameless

Re: PQI vs Burning Dungeons

Postby FDru on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:26 pm

I'd prefer the badge requirement just being removed. I'm so sick of getting 80% the way through a dungeon and then accidentally blowing my PQI by converting an item when it wanted me to get Hoarder or something. And it happens so much that I pretty much refuse to do PQIs anymore unless the badge is Purist or Cheeky.
(actually now that I think of it, I did get a PQI without a badge requirement once, but I have no idea why that happened)

As far as the differences in rewards go... if you're not taking in preps to a burning dungeon, you're still making less than just doing the PQI. If you take in preps, well... you're making significantly less than the PQI. What is hard to quantify is the "difficulty" of a random race/class/badge combo to assign it an appropriate reward (and in fact some are quite simple).
FDru

Postby Wargasm on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:30 pm

Yeah, I remember having to try this one three times; Elf, Berserker, Warmonger. In Ick Swamp. Yeah. Useless racial trait under the circumstances, can't remove barbing bushes, the acid pods are a pain. First time my random boss was Tower of Goo. NOPE! Second was Bleaty. NOPE!

At least the badge is never Vicious Token.
Wargasm

Postby Naoya on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Naoya

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:31 pm

No. Vicious and Goatperson are ignored by it. If you use PQI and Bet on Boss it is more valuable than burning+bet on boss. But yeah, burning is infinitely more efficient right now, so I just ignore PQI.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:45 pm

I like the random things PQI asks us to do :)
Warmonger Gnome Sorcerer in the Cursed Oasis? Anyone? Anyone? lol

I actually really like the idea of having PQI to give me ideas when I run out of other quests, and some incentive to continue towards completion.
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Return to Desktop Dungeons