[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

All things Desktop Dungeons

Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

Postby Robotrek1000 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi! I often die in the game by an accident, not of the game difficulty. I sometimes accidently click on the monster whose battle result showed as "Death", and as a result I die by a mistake. It happens all the time and it ruins all the game. I think you should make a confirmation window if you click on the monster which would kill me ( "Death" indicator), sort of "Are you sure? If you proceed - you will die as a monster will kill you"
I think it's not a game feature of some difficulty type - I think it's an omission, which should be fixed.
It's not making game more difficult but more inconvinient to play. Normal person will die a lot because of abssennce of confirmation about your action which would kill you.
It"s like windows or MacOs wouldn't ask you if you really want to delete file.
I think this is a design mistake
Last edited by Robotrek1000 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robotrek1000

Re: Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

Postby Dreamdancer on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:58 pm

We had this topic a couple of times during the beta and in the end we got the red flash as an additional death sign. Which is ok for me. I don't see the omission of a confirmation window as bad, since it only tells one: Don't play totally absent-minded.

As a side note: If you delete stuff in MacOS with the console the system wont ask you if you are sure (only if the file are write-protected or one has no rights for the operation).
Dreamdancer

Postby dislekcia on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Lots of people think this is a design mistake. This has been debated multiple times on these very forums, but the short version is: They're wrong :)
dislekcia

Postby Manabender on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:07 pm

Manabender

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Lol clearing out lvl 1 gorgons (and to a lesser extent goblins) is an integral part of the meta game to prevent misclick death. Its generally a strategically good idea as well. . .
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Wargasm on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:36 pm

The "death" preview _is_ the warning in my book. I don't know any other Roguelike nice enough to warn you that your next attempted action would lead to certain death.
Wargasm

Postby Robotrek1000 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:11 pm

So, as far as I understand it's a specific design decision, but it's make game inconvinient to play. For example I played for 2 hours and my attention lowered and as a result I will almost always die. I don't want to focus my attention on the "DEATH" or else bar - I just want a simple intuitive user friendly interface, cause it's not 80's and many design features have become common such as which we're discussing.
I think it's a huge design mistake, which for me ruins 50% of game experience, since I got not very good attention
It"s not fair: people with good attention will get the full flow of the game, and people with bad attention will struggle of restarting levels many times
My opinion - this should be fixed - because if such problem occurs in the beginning of the game (i just started it), I can't even imagine how many death by mistake will be in the future
Maybe there must not be sign. Maybe you have to touch monsters with "DEATH" or so bar 2 times to approve your decision, and screen will get more red once you touched monster first time - warning you and preventing from second touch, which leads to character game.
Designer of this game should probably rethink this feature, for now it's just a bad design decision
Robotrek1000

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Grakor456 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:47 pm

I personally tend to see DD as a puzzle game more than a rogue-like, personally.

Either way, this "feature" or lack thereof doesn't especially bother me most of the time, since it just ensures I'm paying attention to monster special abilities (oh gorgons.) The one problem I have is when mice start malfunctioning. I don't know about anyone else, but when my mouse starts go bad, one of the first things that always happens is the mouse beginning to double-click on a single-click, and that -will- kill you in this game. In fact, DD has already forced me to get a new mouse.
Grakor456

Postby Robotrek1000 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:04 pm

Still the absence of warning will be annoying for non-hardcore gamers. Developers should think of adding this feature if they planning to expand they auditory, including casual gamers.
The game in it's shell is simple and this feature will make game even more simpler to play, and more attractive to casual gamers. So why not add this feature?
The type of the warning may be different - it's up to designer to decide
Robotrek1000

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons