[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The Orb of Zot

The Orb of Zot

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The Orb of Zot

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:58 am

I find it works best for fireball users. If you've ever played an Assassin that explores the map at level 1 and starts fireballing the boss right away, then you have an idea of how it works. Except that you don't have to explore the entire map first ;)

I thought it would rock socks with the Monk, who naturally benefits from poison-like effects, but the thing is that attacking very high level monsters with melee is too expensive. Fireballers can safely start in on whatever target they want without having to worry about monster damage.

I didn't know about the Whupaz-Zot interaction. I just tried it and it works as advertised. Wow. That's really powerful. It knocks the boss down to 3/8 health in one shot. It's probably best not to do it right away, but rather use Zot effect to kill mid-level monsters until you're strong enough to finish the boss in one pass. Otherwise, the boss heals back to 1/2 and you lose some of the power of the combo. I used an elf sorcerer and was able to kill a Wraith-5 at first level, which made it possible to finish the boss with a whupaz-quicksilver-ding combo.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:35 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:47 pm

I think that we can file this under "unintended consequences." All the same, I'm not sure it's worth fixing. It is the logical result of how those two effects work.

Hmmm, I almost want to try lugging an Orb of Zot all the way to the top of VGT. It's hardly optimal, but oh my would that be a satisfying way to start the fight with Horatio.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Lujo

Postby FDru on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:12 pm

Or make whupaz work based on current health rather than max. Seems like the most sensible fix... only might be annoying against lifestealers. But on the flipside it might not be so useless on already damaged monsters.
FDru

Postby Lujo on Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Lujo

Postby MTaur on Tue May 05, 2015 5:42 pm

Only necro-ing this because it came up on Google, and the thread info is now outdated. (Found out the hard way, but still won)

Whupaz now works on % current health.
MTaur

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons