[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Little help with Naga City?

Little help with Naga City?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Little help with Naga City?

Postby Manabender on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:31 pm

Gorgon is the last class I have to unlock, so Naga City with 3 classes is next on my to-do list.

I've already beat it with a rogue, so now I need two other classes. I also tried Monk a few times, but I couldn't get through the leveling phase sufficiently. (I've been relying too much on prepping a balanced dagger for easier leveling, that's part of the problem)

I did some searching before posting this, but all I could find was horrendously outdated strats. I'm looking for something a little more relevant in the present.
Manabender

Re: Little help with Naga City?

Postby Grakor456 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:38 pm

I did it with monk, paladin, and assassin. The main part of the dungeon is all about regen-fighting, so that helps. I wouldn't take a balanced dagger: the dragon shield from DI, elven boots, or dwarven gauntlets are, these days, my go-to preps for almost everything.

Since Naga City is so much about regen-fighting, glyphs like HALPMEH and APHEELSIK help a lot. Prepping for quest items can also be big, since a venom dagger, vampiric blade, venom ward, or whurrgarble can all be quite useful there. I also usually prep Mystera for the ease of piety gains (and a couple more mana points) which leaves me open to transition to a different god in the arena.

If you're having trouble with the monk, perhaps try the paladin and assassin instead. They're good because they're more stable, always having one of the nicer glyphs for this dungeon.
Grakor456

Postby Lujo on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:03 pm

If you really want to mess Naga City up go Binlor (Orc monk is good for this if you know what you're doing). You'll have an easy time exploring and getting to 100 piety up top (several times over), so grab the knockback and might on wall destruction boon to shore up your damage. Dragonshield is a good prep, others work too, and I'd recommend the knockback mace as well. Once down below play smart and knock dudes into each other (alternatively knock SMM into walls, but be smart about it).

Other classess work, too, but generally it's binlor and knocback goodness. Knock guys that you can tank hits from into guys that you can't, and so on and so forth.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby TheSchachter on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:30 am

If I want to go through Naga City with as little effort as possible, I grab the Human Paladin and prepare a Dragon Shield + The Glowing Guardian. The Paladin's natural resists along with the Dragon Shield gives him great physical resists from the start, and along with the Glowing Guardian's prayer beads, he gets a reasonable amount of magic resists. Combine that with the Human's significant damage boost at higher levels, Halpmeh (which is much more useful when you have higher resits), and the extra level you get thanks to Humility (you're going to hit 10 either way), you can wipe the floor with most bosses. Humility + Absolution is also great for easier leveling topside. It's also an excellent combination to do the dungeon Feeling Parched (GG is great for that in general, just convert all your potions for piety)"

The most powerful run I've had through the dungeon was certainly the Monk that Lujo just described... I prepped the dragon shield + Binlor and, after grabbing Stone Form and Stone Fist, spammed as much Stone Wall/Stone Heart as I could while still getting to the Arena with lots of piety to spare. Requires familiarity and skill with the Monk, a class which I used to avoid, but amazing to pull off.

My second win in the dungeon was a Human Asassin prepping Tikki Tooki. Tricky (though maybe it's 'cause I wasn't as good back then, can't remember much of that run). I kept trying to make the Goblin Asassin work, and then realised that the limited stuff I could take down was seriously hampering the usefulness of my Racial trait.

Generic Tips for Naga City, in case you didn't know/hadn't thought of those:
-Prep a burn salve or buy one in the dungeon; you'll want to desecrate The Earthmother at some point
-It's a good idea to remember the boss lineup, figure out which boss(ess) represent the most trouble, and have a plan for them (Frank is usually one of them :P)
-Enter the Arena a bit short of leveling up (I usually do it right before level 8), so that you can either heal up right after the first boss or mid-fight depending on your first three opponents
-I wouldn't hesitate too much with using potions and other resources on the first boss or two if you need them, since you're at a lower level at first and so the power difference between your character and the boss is more significant... it's a lot easier to regen-fight lvl 10s as a lvl 10 hero, so long as you've properly leveraged god abilities both upside and in the arena. Just make sure to preserve a good portion of resources for your more challenging matchups (And Kinnissssch, depending on your character!), keeping in mind the prices of the altars and stores of the Arena.
-I feel like Humans are generally one of the best races for this dungeon, since their bonus really scales best in late game (levels 7-10), which is where you take on the most important part of the dungeon.

Some of these might be obvious to you or the vets, but it took me a while to get a feel for them :) Once I got those ideas down well, Naga City became a lot more approachable.
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Blovski on Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:23 am

Binlor Monk for resist city is probably the easiest to get the concepts of the dungeon down and just generally wreck the bosses.

Glowing Guardian Paladins work very well (you can either go in with a dwarf and the Fireheart for a Healthmonster or for the slightly simpler human with Dragonshield and normal GG monkeying) and are fun.

Binlor Crusader is also very strong - work up the resists, immunity to poison/mana burn and you get a second altar topside.

Thief works, Berserker works (you can use Cleansing to bypass resists), if you have the Half-Dragon he's actually exceptionally good as long as you don't do dumb things with Iron Man.
Blovski

Postby Blovski on Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:00 pm

oh good god what have they done to Vampires on Naga City. That is really *hard* now.
Blovski

Postby Lujo on Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:07 pm

They did something to the vampires? O.o
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Since the last time I played it, they made all the subdungeon monsters bloodless. As well as TS and Frank... and you can't use Pactmaker any more, and Platemail got fixed. Makes it basically impossible if you get a bad first wave.
Blovski

Postby Wargasm on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Wargasm

Return to Desktop Dungeons