[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

Postby Wargasm on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Wargasm

Postby Robotrek1000 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:01 pm

As I play the game - I became more accurate, neat and careful. I even do some calculations, but the game gives practically all information needed, so calculation is very rare needed.
First I play the game fast and agressive - but that's not type of strategy to play the game. You need to be, as I said earlier, more neat and carefull and make your every move with caution.
Lots of races, classes and bonuses gives a game a freedom of choice.
All game areas (except special puzzles) can be handeled with individual approach - and that's a freedom a game gives to a player.
As for now I more think that there is no need of death confirmation, but I was very very very angry about absence of this feature when I began playing.
So - all comes with gaming experience, as you get closer acquainted with the game
But still Death Confirmation would be a nice feature for the beginners
Robotrek1000

Postby dislekcia on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:18 pm

dislekcia

Postby Alweth on Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi, just wanted to jump in and beat this dead horse too. I'm hoping to beat it back to life.

I, for one, have been playing the beta became available and I would still really like to see a death confirmation. I want a death confirmation despite the fact that even from the beginning I've had very few unintentional deaths.

The reason I want a death confirmation is because, among other things, unintentional deaths, prevent me from learning something. That is, they don't tell you where you might have gone wrong because the death wasn't part of your strategy, it was just a misclick, lack of paying attention, or, more recently, a UI bug. When you're forced to retire or kill yourself, then you know that you made a mistake. But when you unintentionally die from a predictable death, the only lesson you learn is, "Double-check the DEATH message," which is pretty much redundant after your first such death.

In short, players learn when they retire, not when they die; lack of death confirmation actually ruins learning opportunities. If you want to force people to die, take away the retire option and add a death confirmation.

Furthermore, "Double-check the DEATH message" is a lesson that undermines the "Fight your way through fantasy dungeons in 10 minutes or less" concept of the game, because it adds overhead to almost every move in the game. Finally it's a double-whammy because the lack of a death confirmation both lengthens a dungeon time while occasionally making you accidentally lose a whole dungeon run. Losing 10 minutes of your time is not as frustrating as losing 20 minutes. So the "lesson" you learn from lack of death confirmation actually makes you play in a way that makes lack of death confirmation more punishing.
Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
Alweth

Postby Wargasm on Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:52 am

Wargasm

Postby Alweth on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:45 am

Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
Alweth

Postby OneMoreNameless on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:56 am

OneMoreNameless

Postby Wargasm on Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:11 am

Wargasm

Postby Robotrek1000 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:44 pm

Robotrek1000

Postby dislekcia on Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:40 pm