Vampire Help

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Vampire Help

Postby Lujo on Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:12 pm

This is very true and also applies to the popular Taurog berserker runs. You'll be converting glyphs anyway, but Getindare is well worth it even if you're a Taurog Worshipping Berserker, so going extra glyphs will give you less CP but more early utility, more chance for getindare and - more burst piety for Taurog. Just saying.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:30 pm

I only find fewer glyphs to be worthwhile with the T3 classes, who begin with their own glyphs and are able to convert all four found in the dungeon. Even then it's pretty iffy; Assassin and Bloodmage thrive off of glyph combos, while Paladin and Warlord love extra attack boosters. For everyone else, you're either going Warmonger (meaning GG or Taurog worship, so fewer glyphs means less piety) or you won't be converting enough glyphs for the extra CP to matter.
Darvin

Postby lolQuaff on Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Good to see those numbers, Darvin. Just the thought of decreasing my chances of picking up getindare makes me sad. Increasing those chances is very tempting, but I think I just prefer the guaranteed attack boosters instead.

I took down Namtar's Lair yesterday. After scouting it out a bit I realized it wasn't going to be as difficult as I originally thought. What I was worried about was the life stealing Shades and Namtar's undead forms. Both weren't too bad. The shades aren't as annoying as they are on Cursed Oasis because there aren't as many of them and Namtar's undead forms are easy as well if you go in there prepared. It also helps having a bunch of mid level trolls as allies :D

I had a real cool moment in the PAAAAAAAN labyrinth. I had never been in there before and found it early and talked to the troll. He tells me to explore if I want but it's dangerous, and that was enough to send me running back up stairs. I was forced to go back down there though after exhausting all my black tiles upstairs during the mid game vampire struggle. I go in fully over healed like a boss, take one step and BAM! a fucking imp has 99% life steal and takes it all hahaha. I am pissed off now but after a few moments of thought my anger turns to happiness once I realize these imps are actually blood banks and are the greatest ally a vampire could ask for. I go back up, feed off my trolls, go down and explore to refill my trolls and pass off the life they've given me to the the next little blood bank. Rinse and repeat. When all was said and done there were 3 or 4 imps holding on to 125-150hp for me. That was awesome

VHoS is next
lolQuaff

Postby lolQuaff on Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:07 pm

First 2 attempts on VHoS have been rough.

First run I prep platemail/shield for Indomitable. Quicksilver/whupaz/burn salve/fortitude. The Illusions are nasty but you need them to get to a high enough level to take on blahblah. Picked translocation seal instead of transumation seal for the sub dungeon. This is definitely a mistake I believe. My thinking was that sometimes the secret subdungeon is blocked inside too many walls to use the seal to get it, so instead of taking that chance I'll just hope to find endiswall and use the translocation seal to pull out something nice since I was prepping elite items. The subdungeon is just too important for the curse/conversion fodder. with the curse fodder I can get some easy high level golem kills and save a lot of good midlevel monsters for the boss fights. You definitely need those. Anyway, I luck out early and find the dagger/gauntlets right away. I'm quickly leveling up and in a decent position, still some sloppy mistakes though. Indomitable isn't too bad with platemail. I take him on at level6 by using reflex and getting four hits in total. I just want to get him down enough so my first fireball takes away a death protection so I can start burn popping. I buy a schadenfreude for a couple more fire balls and once he gets down to 40 death protections I start healing off him 1hp per hit. Level up off him and start fighting blahblah at 7-8. He is the real problem because you need enough blood pools/bodies to heal off in order to tank his hits. Anyway, got him to like 200hp before running out of resources.

Second run was more of the same except I prepped apothecary for an extra fortitude. Played a bit better I think but wasn't as lucky early and only got him down to 500hp.

Next run is transmutation seal for sure and maybe the sword instead of the shield.
lolQuaff

Postby lolQuaff on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:57 pm

Victory :D Found elven boots and they helped quite a bit. They pretty much helped get some key 2lvl higher kills and a 3lvl higher kill. This left me more bodies for the blahblah fight. It came down to the wire for sure though. Secret dungeon was a bunch of gold which allowed me to buy out the shops to convert for more lifesteal. That was definitely the hardest dungeon I've played as a vampire yet.

To Naga City!
lolQuaff

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons