[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Hints for vicious dungeons?

Hints for vicious dungeons?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Hints for vicious dungeons?

Postby Lujo on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:06 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby lolQuaff on Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:53 am

Transmuter seems like an awesome class. I definitely want to learn how to play him well. I'll try a VGT run eventually and get some sky high damage. 200+ easy? I always assumed people just went Human Transmuter, never really thought of Elf Transmuter... seems interesting. I think I'll start out with the super high damage once in a while route instead of the pretty high damage more frequently :D
lolQuaff

Postby Lujo on Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:04 am

Well, I think peole sort of think he's supposed to be a spellcasting class (tinker seems to be the "rogue" archetype, and crusader a "fighter" or "cleric" archetype) when in fact he's a hybrid/melle boss. I've herd it before that elves are really good because larger mana pool = better spirit sword. It's probably true, I should try it sometimes. However humans get their CP bonus damage applied without having the SS active. Also after the first spirit sword in a fight, you've allready used up all your mana and you'll definitely go for more than one at the boss fight (and if you spend mana on spirit sword you don't spend it on fireballs so it's a bit ho-hum on paper. And if you spend it on spells it might be harder to time your spirit swords right. Eh.).

I'm curious what you mean about the super high damage and pretty high damage? You'll have about the same damage whatever you do if you go human, but not forcing spells more than you need and timing conversions pays off in both the short term (burst damage, yay) and the long term (omg, my damage burst is getting progressively higher!). Spirit sword doesn't stack, so you'll always have "pretty high" damage for the strike you need (empty mana first), and every spirit sword will get +10% more for every spirit sword used during a run from being human.

VGT still takes building up resists and all that jazz, it's not that easy, but hey, it's fun :) And I'm not sure if you can get so much CP over the cause of a run than there.

EDIT: Also something to try out is the Binlor Halfling Transmuter. If you're using stoneskins, and converting for spirit sword, you'll end up with lots of potions. The damage increases from binlor are % based so they sinergize with the SS, and the potions give you more fuel to keep hitting stuff. It might be a thought worth pursuing somewhere. Damage's nowehre nearly as crazy but your staying power comes from CP which you're focusing anyway (instead of say, drac or GG healing). Might not work on endurance runs like NC and VGT but I'm sure there's places where it would.

EDIT2: Sorry about the long posts and stuff - I could talk about transmuters all day <3

EDIT3: Does anyone know if SS refreshes you mana when you hit it so you always get full benefits even if you've spent all your mana? Cuz then elves are a bit better than I thought and I could shorten this post significantly :D
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:23 am

Elf Transmuters are very fun but I feel having a much higher basic damage is better in a scenario like Naga City where you have the bottom level of regen fighting where spiking just won't hold up. Lujo's basically summed it up - convert glyphs early to get good catapults early in a vicious dungeon, and then have ******* ridiculous stats in the subdungeon. Binlor synchronises very well with the early catapults through Stoneskin and the MR is big for the late game.

Kind of curious if a JJ Gnome or Halfling transmuter could work.
Blovski

Postby lolQuaff on Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:30 am

lolQuaff

Postby Wargasm on Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:30 am

Strength Potion increases based off the mana you lose to it, but I'm pretty sure SS gets the same bonus regardless because I recall a situation with a Goblin Transmuter (the Silver challenge, I think), where I got two conversion bonuses at once and they were both the same, even though I was obviously out of mana for the second one. Unless that was a bug, then there's no penalty for being out of mana when you activate Spirit Sword.

(Coincidentally, Transmuter is the generally the only non-Wizard class I take More Glyphs for usually, both because I want a diverse set of options on what glyphs I have for getting my CP up and because I want the lowered conversion value so I don't double-SS when I don't want to.)
Wargasm

Postby Lujo on Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:30 am

Lujo

Postby lolQuaff on Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:35 am

What are some good purist Naga City characters? Just tried Dwarf Rouge for a bit but that quickly started to seem like a bad idea. I'm gonna try it again with a little more focus this time I suppose
lolQuaff

Postby Blovski on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:09 am

Blovski

Postby Wargasm on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:18 am

Well if you're alright with scumming, then Tinker is always good, since "purist" to them still means "starting with a bunch of preps" and all their other benefits come from shopping anyhow. You can buy your way to success, just need at least one shop to spawn a good resist item (Elven Boots/Platemail/Witchalok Pendant/etc.) and preferably a good damage and/or health booster (Troll Heart/Dwarven Gauntlets/Tri-Sword if you're a Halfling/Gnome/Fine Sword/Badge of Honour). HALPMEH spawning is a huge bonus as a poison cure/way to spend MP vs. Magic Resist. Piercing Wand is another good buy.

Wizard makes another good vote for Purist, since you'll be able to hold onto all the glyphs you find and still have inventory left. Given how the arena works, if PISORF spawns and you've gone Orc and the Rock Heart and/or Blue Bead spawns, you could have an amusing run.

Crusader, as noted, is a good pick since it's the only Purist way to get a topside altar.

Any of the regen-fighting classes (except Vampire) are at least bringing the right skills to the table, although without preps their shop luck will be a big factor.
Wargasm

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons